Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare purchase process so far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was supposed to take delivery on 12/21. Upon their final inspection, they found a chip in the windshield. Delayed delivery to 12/22, then 12/23. Got a call saying that they need to push delivery to 12/27. 12/27 came and it was pushed to 12/30.

In the meantime, I had to leave out of town after 12/27. 12/29, they call and say they can deliver early. Obviously, I can't receive because I'm out of town. I asked if they can hold until 1/2 or 1/3. Except for a trade in, it's all been paid for. (You may know what's coming) They say, "No. Company Policy is a three day hold." But, I was ready to accept on 12/21, monies were sent and receipt was confirmed. The chip in the windshield messed things up.

After being put on hold, SA comes back and says that they can't put it on hold but they're almost positive that they can get me into a car/new VIN this week. A lot of people have delayed delivery and cars are coming in often. I say, "Ok."

1/2 comes up and I check my Tesla app. They push me all the way to March 1 - March 29. This contradicts what I was told a week earlier.

I sent an email to order support this a.m. and I'm waiting for a response.

This is really frustrating. They've had my hard earned money since 12/21. Thanks for letting me vent.

Was supposed to take delivery on 12/21. Upon their final inspection, they found a chip in the windshield. Delayed delivery to 12/22, then 12/23. Got a call saying that they need to push delivery to 12/27. 12/27 came and it was pushed to 12/30.

In the meantime, I had to leave out of town after 12/27. 12/29, they call and say they can deliver early. Obviously, I can't receive because I'm out of town. I asked if they can hold until 1/2 or 1/3. Except for a trade in, it's all been paid for. (You may know what's coming) They say, "No. Company Policy is a three day hold." But, I was ready to accept on 12/21, monies were sent and receipt was confirmed. The chip in the windshield messed things up.

After being put on hold, SA comes back and says that they can't put it on hold but they're almost positive that they can get me into a car/new VIN this week. A lot of people have delayed delivery and cars are coming in often. I say, "Ok."

1/2 comes up and I check my Tesla app. They push me all the way to March 1 - March 29. This contradicts what I was told a week earlier.

I sent an email to order support this a.m. and I'm waiting for a response.

This is really frustrating. They've had my hard earned money since 12/21. Thanks for letting me vent.
Give it a couple of days. The delivery windows usually shrinks and gets closer.

Same thing happened to me last year. I got my VIN, the final contract and pickup date. I paid in full the day before picking up. Then there was radio silence for 3 months before they finally sent me a text with the pickup address (an abandoned shopping mall parking lot). That was it, no other communication or explanation, but the VIN had changed as had the DMV fees so I had to make another Plaid payment to cover the $6 difference before they'd let me pick it up.

The good news is that I got a much better car with a nice set of upgrades and you likely will too. Your 12/21 delivery had none of the recent updates but cars rolling off the line today are vastly improved with the new infotainment processor, 12V battery, etc.

I am in a similar situation. They texted me on 12/28 to let me know that my car was on a truck and would be in SoCal that night. My options for delivery were 12/29 or 12/30. They denied my request to push it out by a few days to sort out the end of my SR+ lease. My new delivery estimate is 2/28 through 3/28.

Join the club. I picked up a brand new Model 3 a month ago, and it has been a terrible experience from the day I placed the deposit for the order.

Couple the terrible communication with snooty, patronizing Tesla employees who think that YOU are the problem, and well, it's been a completely offputting experience.

Latest response; "The factory is shut down for New Years. We'll know more about VINs in a week or so."

Definitely the worst experience in my 20+ years of buying cars. The last three cars I bought were pleasantly negotiated over simple email.

Meanwhile, my trade in value is slipping. Oddly, Tesla is giving the best trade in value I can get, $1,000 over the best.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Yeah, Tesla doesn't have time for that. They don't have thousands of dealerships overflowing with excess inventory and thousands of salespeople sitting alone at their desks sipping coffee whilst gazing longingly out the window in the desperate hope that a customer might appear.

Buying a Tesla is more like trying to score tickets to Coachella. Get in line, STFU, and good luck.

Screenshot 2022-01-05 095820.png

Yeah, Tesla doesn't have time for that. They don't have thousands of dealerships overflowing with excess inventory and thousands of salespeople sitting alone at their desks sipping coffee whilst gazing longingly out the window in the desperate hope that a customer might appear.

Buying a Tesla is more like trying to score tickets to Coachella. Get in line, STFU, and good luck.
Kind of reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the Soup Nazi. "No soup for you!"

Reactions: cwerdna
Here's an update; after no email responses, I ended up calling the local sales/service center. They never picked up. I could tell that it went to a central phone bank.

I got an SA and he allowed me to explain what was going on. He then asked for my RN number and reviewed my file and the notes that were attached to it.

He said to not pay any attention to the dates shown on the app. They're just estimates. That, I already knew but mine appeared as if this was new order. He said that mine were really exaggerated.

He said that there are two dates; one which only consumers see and the other is what SA's see. He gave me a date that was two months earlier than the day on the app.

He also added to believe what is being told by SA's or those in the Deployment section (if you can get a hold of one) and if possible try to speak to a manager if you feel things aren't to your satisfaction. Be kind and professional.

The SA was very friendly and informative.

The next morning, I opened up the app and voila. Not only were the dates as he explained but the range started three days earlier.

Let's see how it goes. Hoping for no damaged windshields or any other delays.

Oh, and they dropped my trade-in by another $200.

(moderator note)

For anyone reading this thread and wondering why this one is not merged with one of the waiting room threads, because it deals with delivery, I felt this one was a bit different due to the fact that the car was paid for in full already.

Reactions: lexapro
Update. Still no word. Earliest date was 1/12 then moved to 1/16 then moved to 1/19. Ended up selling my trade in for $1,500 more than Tesla offered. Asked Tesla to remove trade in so that I can make a payment via Plaid. Radio silence. (Crickets)

The earliest date is usually "tomorrow" in case someone nearby doesn't take delivery of an identical configuration and they offer it to you.
The latest date is the actual day they are planning on, it could shift earlier as you'll get bumped up the line if some people ahead of you with the same car in the same region drop out.

If you stay active with your SA they might find a rejected car in a neighboring region they could get to you, especially if you're willing to accept a different configuration.
If not, you'll get it mid-March and it will include a nice list of upgrades.

Hi there, new to this forum, but I already love it!
Wow, reading this thread actually makes me feel better about my absolutely awful experience with Tesla’s communications.
Long story short:
- ordered M3LR+ back in October telling from day 0 to my SA that I couldn’t take delivery in December because out of the country. He reassures me that there is no problem whatsoever
- sure enough they try to deliver in the middle of December
- complain with my SA who stops answering my emails altogether. I tried calling and I was surprised to learn that my incompetent SA was only the tip of an iceberg. I got literally LAUGHED AT over the phone by this other SA (“hahaha DO YOU REALLY THINK WE CAN HOLD YOUR CAR FOR 10 DAYS???”), like I didn’t just dropped almost 60k on a car that pays his salary..he advised me to request to speak with a manager
- the email requesting to speak to a manager is the last one I sent to Tesla, mid-December. Still hasn’t heard anything
- email dealership who at least after 2 days answers me, and advise me to keep order on hold until 12/31
- hold released on 12/31 automatically, first delivery date that appeared was March
- huge mess to change VIN in my CU loan and car insurance
- scheduled appointment for pickup on 1/31..I am crossing my fingers that all goes well, but at this point I am bracing for the worse. Only hope is that at least my car will be equipped with a Ryzen and new battery but not keeping my hopes too high

Their cars claim to be luxury sector……demand/offer won’t be this high forever and these things make a difference in a buyer’s experience

Hi there, new to this forum, but I already love it!
Wow, reading this thread actually makes me feel better about my absolutely awful experience with Tesla’s communications.
Long story short:
- ordered M3LR+ back in October telling from day 0 to my SA that I couldn’t take delivery in December because out of the country. He reassures me that there is no problem whatsoever
- sure enough they try to deliver in the middle of December
- complain with my SA who stops answering my emails altogether. I tried calling and I was surprised to learn that my incompetent SA was only the tip of an iceberg. I got literally LAUGHED AT over the phone by this other SA (“hahaha DO YOU REALLY THINK WE CAN HOLD YOUR CAR FOR 10 DAYS???”), like I didn’t just dropped almost 60k on a car that pays his salary..he advised me to request to speak with a manager
- the email requesting to speak to a manager is the last one I sent to Tesla, mid-December. Still hasn’t heard anything
- email dealership who at least after 2 days answers me, and advise me to keep order on hold until 12/31
- hold released on 12/31 automatically, first delivery date that appeared was March
- huge mess to change VIN in my CU loan and car insurance
- scheduled appointment for pickup on 1/31..I am crossing my fingers that all goes well, but at this point I am bracing for the worse. Only hope is that at least my car will be equipped with a Ryzen and new battery but not keeping my hopes too high

Their cars claim to be luxury sector……demand/offer won’t be this high forever and these things make a difference in a buyer’s
Great experience, huh? Seems like we're dealing with the same people. Lol! I haven't informed my CU of the VIN change or lack if new VIN and my first payment is this Monday. Once I take possession of a vehicle, I will let them know. What was your experience with changing a VIN with your CU? An SA at Tesla said, "No worries. We do it all the time. We just give you a form and you notify your credit union."