Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare purchase process so far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great experience, huh? Seems like we're dealing with the same people. Lol! I haven't informed my CU of the VIN change or lack if new VIN and my first payment is this Monday. Once I take possession of a vehicle, I will let them know. What was your experience with changing a VIN with your CU? An SA at Tesla said, "No worries. We do it all the time. We just give you a form and you notify your credit union."
It really seems like we are either dealing with the same people, or rather they have standardize responses. They told me exactly the same thing: “no worries we do it all the time”. It wasn’t really the case. Not a huge fuss, but it wasn’t “just a form”. Once you don’t own the car with the original VIN assigned to the loan, that specific loan is suddenly without any collateral. But I am sure each CU/bank works differently.

Impressive how no-one from Tesla ever reached out even just for an apology, never mind some sort of compensation

And here I had a very nice purchase and delivery, and I also gave them a trade in. No problems, straight forward. Pushed the button and paid for it, with trade in credited. They even transferred my personalized license plate. No problems what so ever.

84C9D0FB-064A-41DF-AC6C-D555CECBC0D4.jpeg

Update: 1/23 became 1/25 and then became 1/27. Called the local sales office to remove my trade-in since my assigned SA hasn't responded to my request to remove my trade in two weeks ago. The SA that answered the phone seemed like she didn't want to be bothered. This is how the convo went on 1/24;

Me: (Very politely and playing dumb) "Hi, I'd like to know how I can remove my trade-in from my purchase. The option to do it online is no longer available."
SA: "WHAT??? I don't understand what you're trying to do???"
Me: "Oh, I'm just trying to remove my trad......." (cuts me off mid-sentence)
SA: "WHAT'S YOUR PHONE NUMBER?"
Me: "WTF?" I didn't say that but I really wanted to. "It's xxx-xxx-xxxx." Does it happen instantaneously so I can make a payment via Plaid?"
SA: "I CAN DO IT NOW AND YOU CAN MAKE A PAYMENT IMMEDIATELY AFTER. DO YOU WANT ME TO DO IT? I CAN DO IT NOW AND YOU'LL SEE IT RIGHT AWAY."
Me: "Yes, please. Thank you."
SA: "Anything else I can do for you?"
Me: "No thanks. You've been a great help. What's your name?"
SA: (Long pause like she's forgotten her name or is thinking of a fake name) "My name is, Candy."
Me: (I'm thinking BS) "Thank you, Candy. Have a nice day."
SA: (Click)

The ability to pay via Plaid wasn't available right away as "Candy" mentioned.

Last night at 11 pm, I checked the Tesla app and low and behold I have my second VIN# exactly one month after they released my first VIN# with a chipped and replaced windshield. Other than the trade-in, the car is all paid for and has been since 12/21. This a.m. I paid the difference via Plaid. Now, it's REALLY paid for.

I spoke to a friend earlier this week. His friend had the exact same pre-delivery inspection, chipped windshield adventure. Tesla put him in a loaner for a good 6 weeks! I think a "chipped windshield" is just an excuse to give your vehicle to someone else whose complaint moved up the chain.

The adventure continues.

Reactions: voxel
Yeah the SA's don't have access to much information, nor can they re-shuffle delivery orders. But there are two things they can do: First, they can find a rejected car nearby and reassign it to you. Second, they can tell you the build date of your VIN.

Considering that your delivery date suddenly went from Mar 29 to Jan 29 you might want to ask for the build date. If it's a few weeks old it may have been repaired.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
At this point, I don't really care and it's my wife's car! Lol! She's been shielded from the crap I've been going through. Things are flying of the shelf and it's post Build Back Better. My OD was 10/21 and the difference between my first VIN and this new VIN appears to be wide. Not sure if that means anything. If there's something wrong, there's a warranty. If the sales experience is any indication of what's to come, I'm bracing myself for the service experience.

Yeah the SA's don't have access to much information, nor can they re-shuffle delivery orders. But there are two things they can do: First, they can find a rejected car nearby and reassign it to you. Second, they can tell you the build date of your VIN.

Considering that your delivery date suddenly went from Mar 29 to Jan 29 you might want to ask for the build date. If it's a few weeks old it may have been repaired.
Picked it up this morning. 01/22 build. Pretty pristine. AMD Ryzen and updated battery.

• Love
Niiiiiice! See!

The good news is that I got a much better car with a nice set of upgrades and you likely will too. Your 12/21 delivery had none of the recent updates but cars rolling off the line today are vastly improved with the new infotainment processor, 12V battery, etc.

Did you get anything else? Laminated rear side windows? Center airbag on the *right* side of the driver's seat? Superhorn? Heated windshield wiper landings? Updated side indicators that don't wash out the camera when the turn signal is used at night?

Jeez! Just read through your posts. I would be livid if this kept happening to me. I'm due for delivery this coming Monday, but I'm learning from this forum not to put too much hope in dates Tesla provides. I guess they have no incentive to at improve the order to delivery process since they can't keep up with demand. Sucks.

Jeez! Just read through your posts. I would be livid if this kept happening to me. I'm due for delivery this coming Monday, but I'm learning from this forum not to put too much hope in dates Tesla provides. I guess they have no incentive to at improve the order to delivery process since they can't keep up with demand. Sucks.
Interesting to know that I wasn't the only one. Hoping you have a pristine vehicle waiting for you!

Waited 8 months for a Model X, $137,000. They delivered it right to my house. Delivery person said no need to inspect it, they've gone over it twice, and even said we've looked for all the things people mention on the forum like panel gaps, etc. I clicked accept on the app and went out to inspect it. First thing I notice is a 5 inch crack in the windshield. Horrible panel gaps. Right falcon wing door only opens 3/4 of the way, big paint gouge out of the R rear quarter panel. I haven't even inspected the interior yet. I immediately called the delivery person and said, hey, I can't accept this vehicle like this. She said, "I've done my job, take it up with service. Legally it's yours now." This vehicle wouldn't even pass state inspection with the windshield like it is. I called the service center and they said they will tow it and need it for several weeks awaiting parts. They will send it to a 3rd party body shop to have the rear quarter panel repainted. Body shop will show vehicle as repaired on Carfax once completed. This is my first Tesla. I asked why I wasn't even shown how to operate anything on it, and why I'm now being ghosted by the delivery person. They said "it's all contactless delivery now, you really should not have even spoken to the delivery person." Paper plates on the floor in the car with no way to attach them to the car. Is this really how this company operates?

What a horrible experience. I'm sure you documented everything and took photos. I would definitely contact the manager of your nearest service center and even regional manager. I'm really sorry this happened to you. I hope Lucid takes good notes.

With both of my Tesla's I purchased in 2021, I brought a cashier's check to delivery day and did not accept the cars until I had inspected them thoroughly. I had Tesla acknowledge and commit to any repairs before clicking "accept" in the app. Maybe others feel differently but in my mind, money does not change hands before both parties agree that a new item being purchased is either defect free or that the seller commits to repair said defects. Would I have been upset to have to pass on either car due to bad build quality or shipment damage? Heck yeah! But at least I would not have had to back out of a committed financial transaction. No matter how Tesla tries to steer you into accepting,(and paying for) a car sight unseen, don't do it. Get that down payment or cash purchase price into a cashier's check and tell them you need to inspect the car before accepting it. That is totally your right, even when using Tesla's financing.