Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare! (Supercharger queues)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lack of thought re charger location at many services makes queuing impossible. I drove up to Edinburg on Friday and the flooding meant M74 and A702 closed. Abington was shown as no data. I tried to top up at Gretna but it was chaos. I wasn’t comfortable with a prediction of 11% arrival going over a hilly route through floods (A701 from Moffat). Eventually it was showing 7% until I found an Osprey charger in Dalkeith.

They need to stop putting chargers in stupid places basically. Not near the services where everyone wants to park because walking a few hundred yards is too hard.

Reactions: browellm
The lack of thought re charger location at many services makes queuing impossible. I drove up to Edinburg on Friday and the flooding meant M74 and A702 closed. Abington was shown as no data. I tried to top up at Gretna but it was chaos. I wasn’t comfortable with a prediction of 11% arrival going over a hilly route through floods (A701 from Moffat). Eventually it was showing 7% until I found an Osprey charger in Dalkeith.

They need to stop putting chargers in stupid places basically. Not near the services where everyone wants to park because walking a few hundred yards is too hard.
FYI there are 3 50kw rapids in Abington village, 1 mile from the services

We frequently use the A701 heading from or to the south from Edinburgh as it is one of my favourite roads and generally pretty quiet. There are chargers at Moffat and Penicuik on that road, admittedly not rapid but good for a top up if you were worried about getting to Edinburgh with only 7% as well as a 50kw charger at West Linton if you cut across to the A702. I feel that diverting off the A701 to Dalkeith is quite a bit further than taking the A701 straight into Edinburgh where there are plenty of rapid chargers.

I’ve seen south Mimms look like that back in 2020, just full of S, X and a couple of token 3’s. Sure it wasn’t all the time like it is now but it has had a congestion issue for a long time.

If I was join the back of that I’d be sending my passenger to go and investigate the apple green chargers which will be faster than sharing on a V2 supercharger anyway.

I'm not sure he's right about cold snap. It's been getting much busier for about six months
Agreed, not much to do with the cold. It's when everyone wants to travel distances at the same time ... and there are ever more cars being on the road. The increase in charge stops due purely to cold weather would be a much smaller proportion, I reckon.

We frequently use the A701 heading from or to the south from Edinburgh as it is one of my favourite roads and generally pretty quiet. There are chargers at Moffat and Penicuik on that road, admittedly not rapid but good for a top up if you were worried about getting to Edinburgh with only 7% as well as a 50kw charger at West Linton if you cut across to the A702. I feel that diverting off the A701 to Dalkeith is quite a bit further than taking the A701 straight into Edinburgh where there are plenty of rapid chargers.
It was actually only just off my route as I was heading to portobello area - mainly needed to have enough to not be stuck in the morning.

Not done this trip since 2019/2020 Christmas period and the chargers were just not that busy.

Reactions: Tonybvi
Driving back from Glasgow to south Wales after the Rangers match today and after a frustrating result the drive back is pretty tortuous so far. A 30 minute wait at Gretna to get a charging stall. Thought I’d only top up a wee bit so others waiting could get a charge, so now at Tebay. Another 15 minute wait. So that’s 45 minutes wait time and I’ve a long long way to go yet. I’m glad that most of my day to day driving is covered by home charging but if this is indicative of how things are going to be then I may rethink which vehicle I use for these regular journeys up to Glasgow.

Driving back from Glasgow to south Wales after the Rangers match today and after a frustrating result the drive back is pretty tortuous so far. A 30 minute wait at Gretna to get a charging stall. Thought I’d only top up a wee bit so others waiting could get a charge, so now at Tebay. Another 15 minute wait. So that’s 45 minutes wait time and I’ve a long long way to go yet. I’m glad that most of my day to day driving is covered by home charging but if this is indicative of how things are going to be then I may rethink which vehicle I use for these regular journeys up to Glasgow.

Perhaps worth giving the MFG fast charging station here a whirl on your next trip? 200 miles from Glasgow - 8 150kw stalls

WN6 9RB, Mossy Lea Rd, Wrightington, Wigan

Reactions: interbear
I think you may need to think about extending your charging stop brands as well. The Superchargers coming back down South are all getting a bit long in the tooth, as several have pointed out. Tebay in particularly I think could be quadrupled in size and put the same amount Northbound as well, and you’d still have queues.

I’m guessing that Ionity Polmadie and Gretna were chockablock as well? Every time I get out that way the Polmadie Ionity is basically deserted and is good for a fast fill up…but I’m never travelling on a match day and it’s very close to Ibrox….

I think you may need to think about extending your charging stop brands as well. The Superchargers coming back down South are all getting a bit long in the tooth, as several have pointed out. Tebay in particularly I think could be quadrupled in size and put the same amount Northbound as well, and you’d still have queues.

I’m guessing that Ionity Polmadie and Gretna were chockablock as well? Every time I get out that way the Polmadie Ionity is basically deserted and is good for a fast fill up…but I’m never travelling on a match day and it’s very close to Ibrox….

Good idea. You’re right, I should consider other non Tesla chargers such as Ionity. Never really done that but I should. Especially now that they are, I think, added into the sat nav. Thus far I’ve always perceived alternative chargers as either too complicated, too much of a faff, more expensive and generally a less valid option than the ease of using the Tesla network. So I’ve ignored them. I probably need to broaden my charging horizons after what turned out to be an over 8 hour journey yesterday.

Was a lot easier when I bought my first Tesla in 2019 but that’s the price of progress I suppose.

Reactions: GSP