Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare Tesla experience- all from a flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I admire your dedication to eliminating GHG from the planet I would never dump my dentist because of their car choice. I would suggest that her BMW spews less pollution than a gas lawnmower, snowblower, chainsaw, etc. These devices do not have the benefit of catalytic converters or any pollution control equipment. How far will you take this ? Would you deny entry to a landscaper to cut down a tree on your property because he showed up with a gas powered chainsaw ? Do you unfriend your neighbour because of his gas powered lawnmower ? Would you picket all road construction and heavy equipment operation due to these gas/diesel powered behemoths ? Will you never ride a bus or take a cab ? How about air travel ? While it’s commendable to save the planet and you can argue every bit counts, you have to be reasonable. This problem will not be solved anytime soon. I would think your energy would be better served in convincing you local/state/federal lawmakers in making all gas powered machines more expensive or undesirable. Penalizing a competent dentist seems like taking a sledgehammer to a flea.
Is this the best fit for this response, or is it one of the others?

Your virtue signalling is rather pathetic. Pity the poor misguided soul that gets ahead of you in his gas powered car. He should fear you will attack him.

Have you driven your Tesla into these disaster areas in California or Kentucky to deliver relief supplies. Water clothing or food. Tow a small trailer with items that are needed to these areas. In all the videos and pictures of these disasters I have not seen any electric vehicles deliver any disaster aid.

You are aware the ability to text them by clicking in the thought bubble to the right of the “payment” on your screenshot above. Also arachnid tires for me lasted 18k miles. Inner of the rear tires are the failure spot. 550-600 each only available via Tesla or tire rack from what I’ve found

Reactions: aerodyne

Dear TSLA Pilot,

Just as a follow up to your manifesto, my GHG spewing 3 ton BMW seems to be averaging 74.2 mpg over the past 1000 miles that I have been driving it. Funny, that is not the 30+ mpg that you criticized me for. Perhaps the milage depends on how you drive the car? It has a smaller battery which I use to the fullest and I charge it every day. I still have yet to fill up the gas tank. I think that milage beats probably any ICE car on the road, so I am part of a solution - just not YOUR solution. So save your vitriol for the less efficient cars that are still being sold. Go on the Ford F150 forum and kick some a$$ and change some minds.

BTW, I now really enjoy having: a round steering wheel, real turn signals, massaging seats, CARPLAY, comfortable seats, higher quality sound system, infinitely better headlights, quieter ride, runflat tires, and absolutely no quality issues on delivery. I can also pull my boat with the built in trailer hitch.

Dear TSLA Pilot,

Just as a follow up to your manifesto, my GHG spewing 3 ton BMW seems to be averaging 74.2 mpg over the past 1000 miles that I have been driving it. Funny, that is not the 30+ mpg that you criticized me for. Perhaps the milage depends on how you drive the car? It has a smaller battery which I use to the fullest and I charge it every day. I still have yet to fill up the gas tank. I think that milage beats probably any ICE car on the road, so I am part of a solution - just not YOUR solution. So save your vitriol for the less efficient cars that are still being sold. Go on the Ford F150 forum and kick some a$$ and change some minds.

BTW, I now really enjoy having: a round steering wheel, real turn signals, massaging seats, CARPLAY, comfortable seats, higher quality sound system, infinitely better headlights, quieter ride, runflat tires, and absolutely no quality issues on delivery. I can also pull my boat with the built in trailer hitch.
60% of US elec power comes from fossil fuels, 20% of that from coal less than 3% is solar and has no significant way to be stored at present. How will there be enough power to run all the elect cars planned to be produced at present. How much diesel fuel is burnt to manufacture and deliver 1 Tesla battery. How much earth has to be moved and processed, with sulfuric acid, and how earth destructive is Lithium mining, and the rest of the things that make up these batteries? In the long run what happens to all these batteries when they become non functional? We shouldn't ignore the hidden environmental costs of elect cars. Should be difficult to be holier than now, if one considers total effects, unless one is willing to live in a tent, and walk everywhere they go.

In the long run what happens to all these batteries when they become non functional?

Lots of tired and debunked talking points in your post. EVs will very likely be a net positive for the electric grid and themselves become the “significant way” to store energy for solving the peaking problem. V2G is going to dramatically change the grid in the coming decades. We’re already seeing the early benefits from virtual power plants and other innovative ways to deal with demand peaks.

As for the question I quoted above - lithium battery materials are almost infinitely recyclable back into the raw materials necessary to make new batteries. It’s already possible to do this profitably.

So I took delivery of my 2021 Model S Plaid last week. 10k miles. Bought off Tesla site. Blue with cream interior. Was perfect on the inside and outside on delivery. Other than the driveshaft vibration from 35-50 mph was perfect. Fast forward a week later and get nail or something in my rear tire. Pretty big leak as it is flat in 8 hours after filling it. Take it to Firestone. Oh. They don’t have the pads/cups to lift a Tesla. Didn’t know about needing that. So take to discount tire. They have the pads/cup to lift it. They lift it and up and ask me where the wheel lock key is. I didn’t know it had wheel locks and didn’t think to check on delivery. I can’t find a key for wheel lock anywhere in car. Discount tire can’t remove without it.

Next day after driving 2 mpg on a flat tire to a gas station close by, I fill up and head to work. Another discount tire says they can break it off. So I head over there after buying a friends air pump and refilling, only to be told they can’t break the locl because it would damage the wheel. Have them fill tire up more and head to Dallas Tesla service center. There they try a random box of other manufacturers wheel lock removers and none fit right. They said it must be a Tesla wheel lock and each Lock is specific to the one key that it comes with. So there is no “master key”. So now it’s sitting at Tesla while they find out what to do. The service advisor said they have to look at pee-delivery pictures to determine if the wheel locks where there before delivery or after, “because some people put the lock a on after to game the system”. Whatever the hell that means. Inferred I might be responsible for wheel replacements (21 inch arachnids) depending on determination of that. I’m clearly furious at this point. I’m a physician and have no benefit of installing wheel locks to get something from Tesla.

So now it’s just sitting at Tesla Dallas. No phone call yet from anyone. Flat tire that can’t be fixed because the wheel can’t be removed. Anyone have any advice? This is f’n awful. Oh, and i have to take Uber rides to and from work (30 min drive each way) because my $121,000 car i bought from dealer can’t provide a loaner. After 4 Porsches and good Service, this sucks. I’ve only owned a Tesla for 9 days and starting to regret it.
Well, it’s Oct 11 now so I think you’ve got the wheel problem sorted.
Despite the wheel lock problem, you have an absolutely awesome car. Should you have gone through all this? Of course not.
I’ve had my Tesla S for 5 years now. It’s a 75D so not the neck snapping performance of yours but still acceleration is brisk, better than the muscle cars my friends had in my youth.

I’ve had a lot of cars in the intervening years, there were old ones, and a number of new ones, a couple of BMWs, some fast ones, even a motorcycle, but the Tesla is by far the best of the bunch. There’s no warm up, no turbo lag, no feeling of straining the engine at red line, just quiet jet takeoff like power. There are no trips to the gas station, no maintenance, I get software updates so the features I got with the car get updated and over the years improved. I’m retired, I’ve only got 16K on mine but I smile every time I drive it. I hope you will be able to get by this initial problem and get to where I am, enjoying a great car.

• Love
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
60% of US elec power comes from fossil fuels, 20% of that from coal less than 3% is solar and has no significant way to be stored at present. How will there be enough power to run all the elect cars planned to be produced at present. How much diesel fuel is burnt to manufacture and deliver 1 Tesla battery. How much earth has to be moved and processed, with sulfuric acid, and how earth destructive is Lithium mining, and the rest of the things that make up these batteries? In the long run what happens to all these batteries when they become non functional? We shouldn't ignore the hidden environmental costs of elect cars. Should be difficult to be holier than now, if one considers total effects, unless one is willing to live in a tent, and walk everywhere they go.
Wow, you have pretty much hit every Fox News talking point on why EVs are bad. It's a shame that every point is either flat out incorrect or highly misleading.

Dead on that we should not ignore the environmental costs of EV's. They are here today. But they are being addressed and mitigated. Some may be slower than others, but they are being addressed. It takes time and much of this is a relatively new technology. We are getting there.

I had a Nissan with the same problem. I was lucky enough to find a receipt in the glove box with the previous owners name/address. From there I managed to find on social media. I sent them a PDF file of a priority mail label and they sent it to me.

The Nissan dealer denied all responsibility.

sum it all up! Tesla owner buy used car from Tesla lot, had a flat complain about aftermarket wheel lock, not tesla related product.
imo owner should be more competent before complaining.
Given what Tesla charges for their used cars, I would think that the most cursory of inspections would have revealed the missing locking lug nut . . . Tesla screwed up here, not the customer. (Thus continuing Tesla's theme of "Blame the Customer.")

Folks, some of this convo is getting a little off topic onto emissions discussions, but I want to share a couple of arguments here:

-- how much diesel or gas is required to make a Tesla battery is a common type of attack on EVs, but it's ultimately irrelevant. Just like cars, the machines/vehicles that use that diesel or gas can and will eventually be replaced by electric, possibly powered by those very same batteries.

-- those batteries will be charged by coal is another common type of attack on EVs, but it's also ultimately irrelevant. Solving the excess carbon emissions problem will require clean energy and clean transport together. It doesn't matter which comes first; they are both needed.

Folks, some of this convo is getting a little off topic onto emissions discussions, but I want to share a couple of arguments here:

-- how much diesel or gas is required to make a Tesla battery is a common type of attack on EVs, but it's ultimately irrelevant. Just like cars, the machines/vehicles that use that diesel or gas can and will eventually be replaced by electric, possibly powered by those very same batteries.

-- those batteries will be charged by coal is another common type of attack on EVs, but it's also ultimately irrelevant. Solving the excess carbon emissions problem will require clean energy and clean transport together. It doesn't matter which comes first; they are both needed.
There are studies on the matter. Brand new ICE has lower environmental impact than EV. Burning dinosaur juice is so bad that after 3-4 years (depending on the EV and ICE efficiency, and how much one drives) the EV becomes a better choice from environmental impact perspective. As we increase our fraction of renewable energy production that period will shorten.

There are studies on the matter. Brand new ICE has lower environmental impact than EV. Burning dinosaur juice is so bad that after 3-4 years (depending on the EV and ICE efficiency, and how much one drives) the EV becomes a better choice from environmental impact perspective.
Tesla and other automakers are now claiming (so consider the source and take with a grain of salt) that with the average grid mix in the US, the emissions break-even on a car like a Model 3 is actually under 10,000 miles now.

Reactions: Boza