Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare Tesla experience- all from a flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took delivery of my 2021 Model S Plaid last week. 10k miles. Bought off Tesla site. Blue with cream interior. Was perfect on the inside and outside on delivery. Other than the driveshaft vibration from 35-50 mph was perfect. Fast forward a week later and get nail or something in my rear tire. Pretty big leak as it is flat in 8 hours after filling it. Take it to Firestone. Oh. They don’t have the pads/cups to lift a Tesla. Didn’t know about needing that. So take to discount tire. They have the pads/cup to lift it. They lift it and up and ask me where the wheel lock key is. I didn’t know it had wheel locks and didn’t think to check on delivery. I can’t find a key for wheel lock anywhere in car. Discount tire can’t remove without it.

Next day after driving 2 mpg on a flat tire to a gas station close by, I fill up and head to work. Another discount tire says they can break it off. So I head over there after buying a friends air pump and refilling, only to be told they can’t break the locl because it would damage the wheel. Have them fill tire up more and head to Dallas Tesla service center. There they try a random box of other manufacturers wheel lock removers and none fit right. They said it must be a Tesla wheel lock and each Lock is specific to the one key that it comes with. So there is no “master key”. So now it’s sitting at Tesla while they find out what to do. The service advisor said they have to look at pee-delivery pictures to determine if the wheel locks where there before delivery or after, “because some people put the lock a on after to game the system”. Whatever the hell that means. Inferred I might be responsible for wheel replacements (21 inch arachnids) depending on determination of that. I’m clearly furious at this point. I’m a physician and have no benefit of installing wheel locks to get something from Tesla.

So now it’s just sitting at Tesla Dallas. No phone call yet from anyone. Flat tire that can’t be fixed because the wheel can’t be removed. Anyone have any advice? This is f’n awful. Oh, and i have to take Uber rides to and from work (30 min drive each way) because my $121,000 car i bought from dealer can’t provide a loaner. After 4 Porsches and good Service, this sucks. I’ve only owned a Tesla for 9 days and starting to regret it.

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
F136D5C0-1147-4F86-A291-C01AFB0604B7.jpeg

Tesla does not install wheel locks on the cars, so it must have been done by the prior owner. Too bad Tesla didn't catch it for the used car. I'm sure you looked, but have you carefully looked over the car for the wheel lock key? Glove box, center console (front and rear pockets), frunk, trunk, trunk deep well (under the cover), trunk driver side pocket, door pockets? You'd think the original owner would have left it somewhere in the car.

Tesla does not install wheel locks on the cars, so it must have been done by the prior owner. Too bad Tesla didn't catch it for the used car. I'm sure you looked, but have you carefully looked over the car for the wheel lock key? Glove box, center console (front and rear pockets), frunk, trunk, trunk deep well (under the cover), trunk driver side pocket, door pockets? You'd think the original owner would have left it somewhere in the car.

Scoured the car 5 times over. Trust me. Yes. Previous owner installed them I’m sure.

Reactions: blodg1
So I took delivery of my 2021 Model S Plaid last week. 10k miles. Bought off Tesla site. Blue with cream interior. Was perfect on the inside and outside on delivery. Other than the driveshaft vibration from 35-50 mph was perfect. Fast forward a week later and get nail or something in my rear tire. Pretty big leak as it is flat in 8 hours after filling it. Take it to Firestone. Oh. They don’t have the pads/cups to lift a Tesla. Didn’t know about needing that. So take to discount tire. They have the pads/cup to lift it. They lift it and up and ask me where the wheel lock key is. I didn’t know it had wheel locks and didn’t think to check on delivery. I can’t find a key for wheel lock anywhere in car. Discount tire can’t remove without it.

Next day after driving 2 mpg on a flat tire to a gas station close by, I fill up and head to work. Another discount tire says they can break it off. So I head over there after buying a friends air pump and refilling, only to be told they can’t break the locl because it would damage the wheel. Have them fill tire up more and head to Dallas Tesla service center. There they try a random box of other manufacturers wheel lock removers and none fit right. They said it must be a Tesla wheel lock and each Lock is specific to the one key that it comes with. So there is no “master key”. So now it’s sitting at Tesla while they find out what to do. The service advisor said they have to look at pee-delivery pictures to determine if the wheel locks where there before delivery or after, “because some people put the lock a on after to game the system”. Whatever the hell that means. Inferred I might be responsible for wheel replacements (21 inch arachnids) depending on determination of that. I’m clearly furious at this point. I’m a physician and have no benefit of installing wheel locks to get something from Tesla.

So now it’s just sitting at Tesla Dallas. No phone call yet from anyone. Flat tire that can’t be fixed because the wheel can’t be removed. Anyone have any advice? This is f’n awful. Oh, and i have to take Uber rides to and from work (30 min drive each way) because my $121,000 car i bought from dealer can’t provide a loaner. After 4 Porsches and good Service, this sucks. I’ve only owned a Tesla for 9 days and starting to regret it.
  • They do not take pre-delivery photos and the Arachnid wheels have a lug cap anyway so photos wouldn't help.
  • Considering the low mileage, it is unlikely that tires were replaced during refurbishment so they wouldn't have discovered the prior owners wheel locks.
  • If they are Tesla wheel locks, the service center and for sure the collision center across the street would have the master key set.
  • I don't understand what system is being potentially gamed.
  • They owe you a tire, potentially a wheel, four lug nuts, and an alignment.

• They do not take pre-delivery photos and the Arachnid wheels have a lug cap anyway so photos wouldn't help.
  • Considering the low mileage, it is unlikely that tires were replaced during refurbishment so they wouldn't have discovered the prior owners wheel locks.
  • If they are Tesla wheel locks, the service center and for sure the collision center across the street would have the master key set.

I agree with all of the above, but can’t get anyone to call me and the app says a 3 week wait. Not sure how i get them to do last point

I agree with all of the above, but can’t get anyone to call me and the app says a 3 week wait. Not sure how i get them to do last point
Need to find an email address. Do you have the advisors name. If it is fairly unique, their email address is first initial last name @tesla.com. But if it's "John Smith", they go Jsmith, josmith, johsmith, johnsmith... You can still start with jsmith and tell the recipient you are looking for the correct address for John Smith at Dallas. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Propofoln
Next day after driving 2 mpg on a flat tire to a gas station close by, I fill up and head to work.
How did u turn Tesla into ICE? 🤣jk jk
Post a pic of the lock, maybe someone can help
If its some aftermarket one then Amazon has a lot of different Keys u can try to match.
There's other ways also depending on what it is, maybe scout youtube...

If you had grown up on the wrong side of the tracks, you would know how to weld a nut onto the wheel lock and then use said nut to remove the lock. ;)

I don't know if there is a master set. The SC called me to ask where the wheel lock key was. When I didn't answer, they scoured my car and eventually found it.

that looks fairly easy. Most auto places do this all the time, hammer a socket on it and crank it loose.

After a place had to do that with mine long, long, long ago, I never used wheel locks again. You can defeat them in seconds.
Now I have $100 insurance deductable.

I wonder if you could stick some JBweld in a large socket, put it over the lock wait a few hours, then just zip it off!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Wheel locks are sort of the useless devices I would never purchase because most people would rather steal entire vehicles than spending 15-20 min putting on bricks and removing the wheel...lol. I would offer some advice moving forward for everyone to buy a portable tire air compressor to store in your trunk/frunk. ALWAYS check tire pressure every time against the recommended min tire pressure prior to driving off. Most leaks or punctures will not result in an immediate blow out and are repairable. IF you notice a drop in pressure during the course of driving , check the tire for any possible nail or puncture. With the compressor, add air to the leaking tire to slightly over the psi registered on the other normal corners. Watch and compensate as needed until you get to a repair shop. I've stuck by these rules and I've had my fair share of punctures but have not ever gotten stranded. Unfortunately there are just so much crap on the roads nowadays you never know.