Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nikola Badger . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

Doc Brown

nikola_badger_hero-cc6028e123f5166fd4db8af36e8faee32872bcad7d020758415aa8f52c6e4162.jpg

I like it. Hydrogen and electric. 600 mile range.

Here: Nikola Corp | Nikola Badger

I can't get my head around it. The point of a hybrid (typically petrol-electric) is that you can drive it like an electric, and when you are out of coverage of fast charging stations you can use the petrol engine. The benefit is the existing, ubiquitous filling station network.

So a hydrogen-electric hybrid, if you drive it out of coverage of fast chargers, chances are you're not going to find any hydrogen stations either.

Reactions: BluestarE3
I can't get my head around it. The point of a hybrid (typically petrol-electric) is that you can drive it like an electric, and when you are out of coverage of fast charging stations you can use the petrol engine. The benefit is the existing, ubiquitous filling station network.

So a hydrogen-electric hybrid, if you drive it out of coverage of fast chargers, chances are you're not going to find any hydrogen stations either.
What, you don't think Nikola is going to singlehandedly build a nation-wide chain of hydrogen filling stations and make hydrogen as ubiquitous as gas? /s

Well, Nikola claims they're going to build out 700 H2 stations across the country, with the capacity to fill their semis in 15 minutes.

Of course, this is presumably set to be funded with funny money, so it may take a while.

There are plenty of places to fill up in Norcal - aren't there?

Stations Map | California Fuel Cell Partnership
What is the availability outside the 600 mile radius of the Bay Area (the vehicle's range)? And if one only drives the vehicle locally (within range of available hydrogen stations), then why even bother with the added complexity and cost of the fuel cell range extender? Just recharge the vehicle at home, work or one of the myriad public EV charging stations.

So . . . a station being down would suck. I'm in Norcal - and 99% of my driving is within 600 miles (r/t) of a station. I'm surprised there's not one in or around Redding yet.

Batteries v Fuel Cell cars are in the VHS v Beta war . . . it will be interesting to see whether someone can come up with a more efficient way to produce hydrogen and make it more cost effective for the end user.