Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost scary when you see the hourly rate at the SC. In Canada where I am, it is $220/hr CDN. Mercedes does not even charge that and they were really expensive by a long shot compared to the norm. Not so sure I want a used out of warranty Tesla.
It would be nice to see more EV friendly garages like Electrified Garage Tesla Service Center so to have more options for repair. It's good to see the older Teslas still on the road. This may help spawn more and more EV garages. One thing that benefits the older Model S is Ebay. You can locate and purchase many parts that may not be available through Tesla. The other benefit is the many youtube videos showing how to do many repairs. I agree that Tesla service rates are pricey. Here's hoping more and more legislation improvements are made for the right to repair laws around the Country. This will create more options for the Do It Yourself crowd.

Reactions: ayavner
I’m lucky to have an electrified garage 25 miles away from me
Ya, I'm 250 miles from any service and they won't send a ranger here it seems?
My 12V died so I put in a Ohmmu battery but it gets drawn down pretty quick and isn't being charged. Tesla says to tow it & they also won't look at it without a Tesla Pb 12V in it (I've spent months of time taking this to service over the years & really don't want to tow it again)...Think it's the DC-DC but haven't opened it yet, still haven't found any info on 'not charging the 12v', everything is about the heater/ compressor and coolant circuits.

$29k is a decent price. the MCU2 is reasonable too & a must have (although MCU1should have been ok but is not with all the newer firmware)

Last edited:
Ya, I'm 250 miles from any service and they won't send a ranger here it seems?
My 12V died so I put in a Ohmmu battery but it gets drawn down pretty quick and isn't being charged. Tesla says to tow it & they also won't look at it without a Tesla Pb 12V in it (I've spent months of time taking this to service over the years & really don't want to tow it again)...Think it's the DC-DC but haven't opened it yet, still haven't found any info on 'not charging the 12v', everything is about the heater/ compressor and coolant circuits.

$29k is a decent price. the MCU2 is reasonable too & a must have (although MCU1should have been ok but is not with all the newer firmware)
Sorry you’re having so much trouble with getting service. I wish you the best of luck

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Buying a used, out of warranty vehicle is similar to buying other luxury vehicles.

A used twin turbo charged BMW engine of similar power, might cost a similar amount to replace it when worn out as a Tesla Battery.
After warranty there are aftermarket battery repair shops that can get you back on the road, then just buying a new one from Tesla.

There is aways an economic risk when buying a used Tesla, and the pricing reflects that risk.

A used Model S is still fantastic looking, and not much different externally than buying a used one. Most other 4 door sedans begin to look older as constant new body styling is applied to later versions.

The BMW N63 ready to drop in crate motor costs around 8500 dollars. What is the cost for these aftermarket companies to replace a bad battery pack with a good used one? My concern would be could Tesla ban supercharging for cars that had 3rd party repair or replacement of the battery packs