Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried connecting both my Nintendo Pro Controller and SNES Online controller to my 2021 Model Y (2022.44.25.3) and failed in case anyone is wondering about compatibility. I tried connecting via USB-C cable to the centre console and also tried to pair the controllers to the car wirelessly. The car recognizes when the Pro Controller is plugged in but, sadly, none of the buttons register (at least with Cuphead). I didn't bother trying the Joy-Con controllers as I figured the odds were slim since I haven't heard of anyone else using them. Hopefully more controller support will roll out over time.

Update: I was able to get all three of my controllers to work with my Model Y!

- Nintendo Pro Controller for Switch
- Nintendo Joy-Con Controller for Switch (single, but not two joined together)
- Nintendo SNES Online Controller for Switch

I achieved this by purchasing an 8BitDo USB Wireless Adapter 2. But there are subtleties in actually getting all of this to work, so hopefully these instructions will save someone some time.

First, my 2021 Model Y allows data (not just power) from the centre console cubby USB-C ports. I've read that data is only accessible via the glove box in more recent Model Y iterations so you may need to plug in the adapter there.

Next, I updated the adapter's firmware, so I'd suggest doing that.

I then learned that the 8BitDo adapter has different modes. The manual alludes to this but does not provide clear steps on how to change modes using Nintendo controllers. I found the answer on this thread.

What you want is to put the adapter into macOS mode. You can access this mode by pressing SELECT + RIGHT [d-pad right] and holding for 3 seconds. On the Nintendo Pro Controller, SELECT is the circular (-) button. SELECT is clearly marked on the SNES Online controller. After 3 seconds you will see the blue light on the adapter pulse to confirm the mode change and the game should then allow you to play. Note that the adapter has other modes as well (see the thread above for details) that may be useful.

I was disappointed that rumble doesn't seem to be supported but at least the system works. If anyone figures out how to get rumble to work please let me know. Some of the games (Cuphead) allow you to re-map the buttons if you don't like the defaults.

Happy gaming!