Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NIO’s EP9 EV beats every production car ever with a Nurburgring lap record of 6:45:90

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes it a "production" car?
BTW, this wasn't meant as questioning the NIO EP9's accomplishment. I was just wondering how a car is deemed to be "production" and by whom. It is indeed a great day when another automotive performance benchmark can be claimed by an electric car. While things like this may have little practical value for car owners in general, they make a positive impression in people's minds about the viability of electric cars even if it's in a different context.

Reactions: EinSV
While things like this may have little practical value for car owners in general, they make a positive impression in people's minds about the viability of electric cars even if it's in a different context.
I completely agree with this. However, there will continue to be a strong market for performance cars, regardless of power source. This puts performance on the radar for prospective EV buyers. Now accomplishing even close to the same thing for 1.3 million less would provide an ever stronger positive impression. It's an important milestone on the way to mass EV adoption for sure.

What makes it a "production" car?

From Wiki: "The characteristics of a production vehicle or production car are mass-produced identical models, offered for sale to the public, and able to be legally driven on public roads (street legal). Legislation and other rules further define the production vehicle within particular countries or uses. There is no single fixed global definition of the term."

Gotta give credit where credit is due, and that is amazing.

But at this stage, comparing it to production car numbers is a little misleading. And 'ring times are often not what they appear. Lots of cheat number on the web.

Last edited:
Not saying I agree but it seems like they are making more of a particular make and model.
List of Nürburgring Nordschleife lap times - Wikipedia

Very impressive lap times ... the NextEV EP9 is now the top dog :cool:

upload_2017-5-14_9-55-30.png

Reactions: Discoducky