TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nissan Launches ‘Free’ and ‘EZ’ Leaf Charging For 2014 Leaf Customers

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Canuck, Apr 16, 2014.

1. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Sure to piss off existing Leaf drivers, free only for new Leaf sales since April 1st.
    Certainly not how Tesla does it, but they have taken a que from Tesla, sort of...

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Nissan has proven many times that they could care less about current owners of the Leaf.. look at their handling of the severe battery degradation and the drop in the price of the car

3. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Free charging that takes forever, from charging stations that may or may not work....for new customers only...

Some of these companies have absolutely no clue.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Nissan Launches ‘Free’ and Leaf Charging For 2014 Leaf Customers - HybridCars.com

5. drees

drees Active Member

If charging infrastructure were plentiful and reliable, I'd think this was a great idea.

But in most areas there are already too many plug-ins competing for too few plugs, especially considering how unreliable most stations are - even ignoring problems like ICEing.

While this is a great incentive for new owners who will plug in at any chance they get whether they need it or not, this is bad for all other plug-in owners, especially EVs who rely on existing infrastructure to be available when they need it.

Whatever money Nissan is spending on this would be better spent on installing additional charging infrastructure.

If you want to target new LEAF owners specifically with incentives, give them a $100 EZ-Charge card (more than enough public charging for most people to last a couple years, but not so much that they might abuse it frequently) and install more QC and L2 stations at or near existing locations.

6. drees

drees Active Member

Hmm, looks like the main PR piece and most news articles left out a bit of crucial information - the free charging is limited - which also limits the bulk of my initial complaints.

Found on AutoblogGreen: Nissan will expand free* charging incentive to 25 Leaf markets

Free charging is limited to 30min on a QC station and 1 hour on L2.

That should limit the amount of plug-hogging that can be done. Hopefully those limits are daily limits.

7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Wow 610 CHAdeMO chargers in the USA and Tesla is still not shipping the adapter. ; (

8. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I'm guessing, but I think the UMC 14-50 adapter recall and redesign slowed the CHAdeMO adapter rollout a bit... Probably impacted both their charging engineering team and supplier production...

9. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

Um no. As an early adopter, we got free charging from Blink and Aeroviroment for the past 2-3 years already. I think this is a fantastic idea. It doesn't cost Nissan hardly anything and it sells new Leafs.

10. KJD

KJD Member