Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan launches hands-off ProPilot 2.0 On-Ramp to Off-Ramp (Rivals Navigate on Autopilot)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Designed for on-ramp to off-ramp (ramp-to-ramp) highway driving, the new system engages with the vehicle's navigation system to help maneuver the car according to a predefined route on designated roadways.1 For the first time, the system also enables hands-off driving while cruising in a single lane.2,3

To enable the latest functions of the new system, drivers must first set their destination in the navigation system, creating a predefined travel route. Once the car enters the highway, the new system's navigated driving becomes available.

Upon activation using a predefined route, the system will assist the driver with traveling on a multi-lane highway until reaching the highway exit on a predefined route — helping to handle passing, lane diversions and lane exiting.

The new ProPILOT also enables hands-off driving while cruising in a given lane. When the vehicle approaches a road divide, or when passing a slower vehicle is possible, the system judges the appropriate timing of branching off or passing based on information from the navigation system and 360-degree sensing. Intuitive audio and visual guidance is given to the driver, who is prompted to put both hands on the steering wheel and confirm the start of these operations with a switch.

The vehicle uses a combination of cameras, radars, sonars, GPS and 3D high-definition map data (HD map) to provide 360-degree, real-time information of the surrounding environment and the vehicle's precise location on the road. The system uses this information to provide a smooth driving experience, similar to that produced by an experienced driver. A monitoring system in the cabin continually confirms that the driver's attention is on the road.

Nissan to equip new Skyline with world’s first next-gen driver assistance system

As always, the fine print:

1: A national expressway as prescribed by the National Expressway Act. A limited highway as prescribed by the Road Act.
*2: Hands-off driving is possible when driving in a single lane, on the condition that the driver remains attentive on the road ahead and is prepared to immediately take manual control of the steering wheel when conditions of the road, traffic and vehicle require it.
*3:The hands-off feature is not available in tunnels where a GPS signal cannot be established, on expressways that have two-way traffic, on winding roads, in tollgate areas or merging lanes. When entering a road section where hands-off driving is not available, the system will alert in advance so the driver can take manual control of vehicle steering.

Also, Skyline is not available globally.

Improvement, nonetheless!

So I assume this is Intel Mobileye. I note that announcing and delivering are very different things, as we have seen from Tesla announcements. Appears to be on a Japan only model at this point. Using HD maps, limited only to those areas that have been recently specially mapped. Tesla calls that a crutch, but time will tell.

I wonder if Tesla could do something similar on the hands off, with the interior camera?

Reactions: 1375mlm
"ProPilot 2.0 can even change lanes to pass a slower-moving car. The system will prompt the driver to put their hands back on the wheel, then the system will automatically execute the lane-change, pass the other car and return to the previous lane."

"As with all driver-assistance features like this, Nissan emphasizes that ProPilot 2.0 can only operate in certain, safe situations. For instance, it won't work around toll booths or exit ramps; the driver will be prompted to take over in those cases."

This doesn't sound superior to Autopilot. It sounds almost exactly like Autopilot except with eye-tracking nags instead of wheel torque nags. And it's not even released yet, it's coming this Fall to Japan only.

As always, the fine print:
1: A national expressway as prescribed by the National Expressway Act. A limited highway as prescribed by the Road Act.

Navigate on Autopilot only works on divided limited highway just as this. They also have a separate system that works on any single lane roads similar to regular Autopilot.

*2: Hands-off driving is possible when driving in a single lane, on the condition that the driver remains attentive on the road ahead and is prepared to immediately take manual control of the steering wheel when conditions of the road, traffic and vehicle require it.

Yeah its called a driver monitoring camera to make sure the driver is pay attention and also hasn't fallen asleep, allows you to be completely hands free unlike the stupid constant torque/wiggle of autopilot that fails regularly leading to drivers falling asleep, accidents and four deaths and counting.

*3:The hands-off feature is not available in tunnels where a GPS signal cannot be established, on expressways that have two-way traffic, on winding roads, in tollgate areas or merging lanes. When entering a road section where hands-off driving is not available, the system will alert in advance so the driver can take manual control of vehicle steering.

There is the hands-on system and the hands-off system. similar to how there's regular autopilot that works everywhere and then NOA that works only on divided limited access highways.

Also, Skyline is not available globally.

Propilot 1.0 was first launched in japan in Serena and then the year after launched in the US. Same as NOA introduction which launched about 6+ months later in EU. It hasn't launched anywhere else from what i can recall. I might definitely be wrong on that.

Yeah. I don't see how these are negatives, this is great for a system that doesn't have rear facing or rearview cameras. Using only Mobileye's tri-focal forward facing cameras.

Tesla's 8 cameras versus Mobileye's 3 cameras (trifocal). Shows you the hold up has always been with the automakers not the actual tech provider (Mobileye)

Last edited:

Nice try but no. This system appears to be more advanced because of the driver facing camera which allows true hands off in some cases but it is not years ahead to Tesla.

Notice this part in the article:

ProPilot 2.0 can even change lanes to pass a slower-moving car. The system will prompt the driver to put their hands back on the wheel, then the system will automatically execute the lane-change, pass the other car and return to the previous lane.

So Nissan's system requires hands on wheel for auto lane changes just like Tesla.

And this part:

As with all driver-assistance features like this, Nissan emphasizes that ProPilot 2.0 can only operate in certain, safe situations. For instance, it won't work around toll booths or exit ramps; the driver will be prompted to take over in those cases.

So again, it won't work on exit ramps?! NOA does work on exit tamps. NOA works on more roads and more situations and all without driver interventions.

Basically, Nissan is releasing something similar to NOA, slightly inferior, but it uses camera to monitor driver so you and others herald it as superior. But Tesla released NOA which is superior in capability, just requires nags, months before Nissan. Nissan is the one catching up.

@Bladerskb One more thing. Except for the camera monitoring driver attention which you find superior to Tesla's nags, everything else about Nissan's system is the same or slightly inferior (no exit ramps) to Tesla's NOA that was released back in March. And Nissan's system comes out in the Fall at the same time that Tesla will release FSD that can do coast to cast drives hands off. Nissan is not years ahead of Tesla.

@Bladerskb One more thing. Except for the camera monitoring driver attention which you find superior to Tesla's nags, everything else about Nissan's system is the same or slightly inferior (no exit ramps) to Tesla's NOA that was released back in March. And Nissan's system comes out in the Fall at the same time that Tesla will release FSD that can do coast to cast drives hands off. Nissan is not years ahead of Tesla.

You made me laugh out loud when I read that part. The second coast was also a Freudian slip that I may agree with.

I wonder if Tesla could do something similar on the hands off, with the interior camera?

Tesla absolutely could if they wanted to but they won't because Elon is against it. He sees it as an unnecessary intermediary step because he wants to go straight to L4/5 hands off where driver attention is not required at all. Basically, Tesla is working to get their FSD good enough where monitoring the driver attention is irrelevant.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
I was curious so I read up on GM's Super Cruise. Found this article: https://jalopnik.com/cadillac-is-already-fixing-super-cruise-1834420496

They claim to be working on it, but their system disengages when bright sunlight hits a driver's face, or when a driver is wearing polarized sunglasses.

I know for me, wearing sunglasses is important because my eyes are sensitive to strong UV radiation or the bright glare off of fresh snow. So there are a lot of instances on bright sunny days where I need to wear sunglasses in order to see more comfortably. A system that requires I not wear sunglasses would be an issue. So for me a system that monitors my attention with a camera, if it does not work well with sunglasses, would be a problem.

Autopilot's nag system works for because I can wear sunglasses with no problem and just tug the wheel periodically. And when Tesla's FSD is good enough to remove the nags completely, I can keep wearing sunglasses and drive hands free.

@diplomat33 Driver monitoring can be made to work with sunglasses, that is not an issue when done right with dedicated IR camera.

Thanks. I just know what I have read about how some systems had issues. Glad to know if it is not an issue anymore.

But I get it: when someone else does something it is bad, when Tesla does it it is good.

I mean Tesla’s torque sensing has no issues right......

Not sure what you are getting at. Tesla is not using a camera monitoring system so it's not the case that I am praising Tesla for doing it but criticizing others for doing the same thing.

In terms of Tesla's torque sensing, it works 100% for me. Once you learn the right motion, it is effortless. I dismiss the AP nag with one finger.