Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Leaf as a battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nissan says that the Leaf battery is guaranteed for 8 years or 100,000 miles, presumably whichever is sooner. Let's take 100,000 miles and assume 300 Wh/mile. That means that the battery can be charged and discharged with 30,000kWh and still have (likely) 70% capacity. If we assume that in the mode suggested by h2ofun we want the battery to last 8 years, then it can do 3750kWh/year, or around than 12kWh/day. (Or, just assume a car is driven 15,000 miles/year = 40miles/day to get 12kWh/day.) If my arithmetic is correct, either a 40 or 60kWh battery would be lifetime limited to a capacity much like one powerwall if used daily.

So, this seems to be a much cheaper and great capacity solution than batteries? I am trying to find cost of charger and specs to hook up.

More than simply a generator, the bi-directional charger is actually hooked up to the grid, allowing it to send energy back into the power grid in states with utility demand response programs, which could allow owners to get paid for their power.
Well, one thing as an additional expense here is this is a 480/277vac application. You will need a properly sized transformer if you plan on installing this at a residence with 120/240 split phase power. Depending on whether the charger needs 3 phases you might have to do some phase conversion magic, which is also probably expensive.

I am curious how Nissan would modify the Leaf warranty if I were to use this device? Anyone ask them?

Well, one thing as an additional expense here is this is a 480/277vac application. You will need a properly sized transformer if you plan on installing this at a residence with 120/240 split phase power. Depending on whether the charger needs 3 phases you might have to do some phase conversion magic, which is also probably expensive.

I am curious how Nissan would modify the Leaf warranty if I were to use this device? Anyone ask them?
Rereading the datasheet, it requires line to neutral-voltage of 277 vac. So no phase converting needed.

If its 480, then I would not work. Which would be great since I could stop researching, and wife would be happy. But, will see if they ever call. I might try to call them this week and just put to bed

If its 480, then I would not work. Which would be great since I could stop researching, and wife would be happy. But, will see if they ever call. I might try to call them this week and just put to bed
240 X 480-120/240 Volt 1 Phase Transformers

There are transformers possible, but basically, you should forget about it and wait until consumer-grade devices are available.

See the link I posted above that shows the line voltage of 277 to neutral. So this is a single-phase device designed for a commercial service.

Reactions: h2ofun
I am getting more serious about maybe buying a leaf. Looks like this charger works for residential and will be shipping this year. Its not cheap, for a 2 head model, 8K, but what the heck.

It will be interesting to see if you can get the leaf integrated into your system and have it play nice with your powerwalls. I imagine that will be your greatest difficulty.