Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Leaf Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually @cranker2k I think its a lot different than the video Tesla showed. They showed a production vehicle, with production hardware. Pre-tested road or not, the difference between a vehicle using in production hardware vs a test mule with constantly calibrated test equipment is light years of difference.

I wouldn't consider that production hardware in the context of being integrated as part of the production car. I don't think they'll put Lidars on top of the roof like that on real production car that is officially promoted and sold as a self-driving vehicle. That's still 3 years away...assuming they are on schedule.

Also, the real production is software and data. If they are production ready, then they can release it now. Software is the brain and machine learning takes time and probably each region (e.g., UK, Germany, Austrial, Japan, US, Mexico) all require learning different patterns that take time. They don't have the fleet to gather data like Tesla does. No one does. Not even Google (but Google might have better ML models).

Reactions: Mike M
I guess I can always expect the Leaf and Tesla fanbois everywhere. I should know, I have both and again the Leaf was the gateway drug. What I don't understand is all the AP2 fanbois claiming its the greatest thing since sliced bread and it has more sensors and cameras and wizbang stuff when there's tons of threads and complaints about how the damn thing can't even drive properly, needs hrs and hrs to calibrate, wouldn't work or read the road unless the person went out and wiped off or cleaned all the cameras around the car (lol! yeah really!) etc,etc.. blah blah blah.

That's real life on the road what we see testing right now in users possession, imagine what Nissan has planned with ProPilot and been on the streets testing since 2013. I have full confidence in them getting out the new Leaf and they are killing it in sales still (Plug-in electric car sales for Mar: Leaf beats Bolt EV, plug-in hybrids beat electrics)

Just one look in the S and X forums and AP2 is still scary as hell.. I'm glad to have AP1 ;)

Totally get where you are coming from @JasonA-EV, though I can tell you, I've had no issues with AP2, no calibration required, no camera issues at all. Worked with the 8.1 update as soon as it came down.

Is it perfect? No, not at all. Is it fairly close to AP1's I've driven. I'd say yes (though not quite as smooth yet).

Its not so much being a fanboy but simply responding to someone basically saying the Nissan Leaf was going to be so much better with their Auto Pilot, when the Nissan version thats been testing isn't anywhere close to being a real product. Congrats to Nissan for jumping into the autonomous waters. I'll just believe the superior autonomous Leaf when I see it.

Yeah.. I'm not saying it's going to be "so much better" but I don't like the whole iRobot thing where Tesla comes out to clean up the mess after an accident saying it was the driver when it could possibly be the car/SW the whole time. There's a great story on this that just came out.
The customer is always wrong: Tesla lets out self-driving car data – when it suits

I have to admin I'm late to the game owning an S but at least it's 1.0 and with Mobileye. This new stuff is just too rushed and scary to be putting people's lives at risk. Pay $5 to $8k to the "privilege" of being an alpha/beta tester.

This new stuff is just too rushed and scary to be putting people's lives at risk. Pay $5 to $8k to the "privilege" of being an alpha/beta tester.

I remember conversations on here when AP1 came out claiming the same thing - it was too risky, owners are just beta testers, etc. Now people are claiming the same about AP2. Soon they'll be claiming the same about AP3.

And what's wrong with paying for the "privilege" to be a tester? Some of us actually enjoy cutting edge technology, even if it isn't perfected yet. Nobody is forcing anybody to pay $5-8k to test anything, it's called a choice and life is full of 'em :D