Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Leaf Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Apparently the next gen leaf will have 260 mile range, to be released in a few months, and they are planning on releasing this by 2010 -

Leafs actually deliver on the EV reliability promise, while Tesla doesn't.

So in 2020 when you have a leaf vs. tesla, which one would you pick? Also, why?

Tesla for sure. But considering the date an April Fools joke can't be ruled out... :)

After more thought I'm thinking it's not a joke. VERY impressive. Especially the way it handles pedestrians and even a roundabout.

If Nissan can pull that off just think how advanced Teslas will be. I just hope live long enough to find out. :)

Last edited:
Leafs actually deliver on the EV reliability promise, while Tesla doesn't.

So in 2020 when you have a leaf vs. tesla, which one would you pick? Also, why?

FWIW my 2016 70D has not had a single problem in 20K miles and one year of driving - most reliable 1st year car I've ever had. I really think it's fair to throw out the 2012-2015 Model S's when talking Tesla reliability - they were the early years of the 1st new mass market production sedan from a startup automaker in - how long?

As for Model X? Well - Elon's folly I suppose but it is improving rapidly. Just comparing Model S vs Leaf? Assuming money is not involved - the Model S obviously.

Releasing it by "2010?"

Anyways imo an EV without a network of fast chargers (superchargers) for long distance roadtrips is useless. Chademo chargers at nissan dealerships don't count and aren't strategically placed along highways. So i'll still always buy a Tesla.

There are more Nissan Leafs on the road than any other single BEV model by a wide margin.

Perhaps not everybody drives 2,000 mile trips by car?

Nissan says they are going to offer a 60kWh option. This will mean at least 3 players with 200+ mile EVs for 2018 MY.

Tesla is still going to win though. It's not price or range that is currently driving EV adoption, it's style. EVs (500e) can be leased for $99 a month, which places them as a contender in the cheapest new car category. The Chevrolet Bolt is 238 miles of EPA rated range, and priced at $27,500 in California, and it not yet stealing Camry sales.

But Tesla is still selling Model S's at ever increasing rates, with even a higher base price for 2017.5.

Umm OP why did you post this in the Model S section of the forums ?

re: reliability comments (that reek of smarm), don't forget about pack degradation. At least with MS/X it is basically irrelevant. Reportedly Tesla runs a test pack now with over 500k simulated miles showing 20% capacity degradation. After thousands of miles my 70 pack went up 1 km the last time I range charged. Instead it seems that the Leaf owner watches their battery indicator brick itself, and that's even without high performance driving or Supercharging.

It is an added cost, like an inkjet cartridge.
Battery Capacity Loss Warranty Chart For 2016 30 kWh Nissan LEAF

Will the Chevrolet Bolt be any better ? Doubtful with the type of cells in use vs. Tesla / Panasonic cylindrical cells and Tesla's pack design and cooling. Again, not even considering all the high-power direct DC charging and, drag racing, etc. that is going on with Tesla cars.

There are so many small details in the Tesla product that add up to the experience we're (mostly - 94% ?) all grinning about.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
There are more Nissan Leafs on the road than any other single BEV model by a wide margin.

Nissan says they are going to offer a 60kWh option. This will mean at least 3 players with 200+ mile EVs for 2018 MY.

Tesla is still going to win though. It's not price or range that is currently driving EV adoption, it's style. EVs (500e) can be leased for $99 a month, which places them as a contender in the cheapest new car category. The Chevrolet Bolt is 238 miles of EPA rated range, and priced at $27,500 in California, and it not yet stealing Camry sales.

But Tesla is still selling Model S's at ever increasing rates, with even a higher base price for 2017.5.

I doubt they are selling Model S at an increased rate in this or next quarter

i seriously think that this route that nissan leaf took is staged. I will believe it when the rep gives it to the reviewer for a day or so and reviewer takes a off beaten path to prove his self driving abilities.All these videos question the true ability of this self driving tech if the route is predetermined

The Leaf is cheap.

But I drive 105 mile highway trips in the car ever other week. (Well, yesterday it turned into a 120 mile trip with only about 65 miles on the Interstate). It's not just road tripping that limits the Gen 1 Nissan Leaf market.

The Leaf is cheap.

But I drive 105 mile highway trips in the car ever other week. (Well, yesterday it turned into a 120 mile trip with only about 65 miles on the Interstate). It's not just road tripping that limits the Gen 1 Nissan Leaf market.

Understand that a screwdriver is not a good replacement for a 17mm socket. There is a right tool for the job. You can use a crescent wrench, vise-grips, or pliers, but not a screwdriver. A 105 mi trip on an early Leaf is a screwdriver. On a 2017 Leaf, it's pliers (107mi EPA combined range).

No experience with a 2017 Leaf, but many EVs can hypermile well over their EPA rating.