Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan LEAF Becomes First Electric Car To Hit 400,000 Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Leaf is a great car, not just for commuting but in general. I regularly used to exceed the max range of my 24kWh Leaf and rely on public destination charging. No problems at all.

Consider it is 9 years old now (released 2010) and was the first mainstream, mass produced, affordable EV it's held up decently well. Sure, newer cars are better, but you would be kinda disappointed if nothing improved over the span of a decade.

The Leaf demonstrated that there is a market for affordable EVs, that dealers can sell them and handle service, that they are reliable and that the batteries will last more than 3 years. Yeah, remember that old myth? The obstacles that Nissan had to overcome were huge.

Nissan also build massive rapid charging networks. I don't know much about the US situation, but for years almost all rapid charging in the UK was from the Nissan/Ecotricity partnership. It really was the first generation supercharger network, and unlike the Tesla one it was open to all vehicles, not just Nissans. Nissan made the Leaf viable and proved that even a low range EV was a great car for many people, and capable of longer journeys when required.

I was very disappointed with the Leaf 40. It needed a proper refresh with active thermal management and a more efficient shape. The regression to an analogue speedo was just bizarre. It's such a shame that after pioneering the technology Nissan couldn't maintain that early lead and build on it, but now Kia and Hyundai are passing them by.

Danger: This real-life valid testimony will cause many of the more rabid Tesla supporters here to spontaneously combust.

You can't compare the Leaf to a Tesla, any Tesla, and I am sure most of those 400,000 sales were in other countries, not the U.S. I saw more Leafs on a trip to Iceland in 2017 (when gas was $7 a gallon) than I had ever seen in the New York-New Jersey area. And that's easy to explain. Until this year, Nissan itself ran TV ads that NEVER mentioned the Leaf is an EV. Now, a TV ad shows a woman in a flying suit over a city and then morphs into her behind the wheel of a second-generation Leaf. Nissan gets an F in marketing.

Leaf got a good head start. There were no alternatives until two years ago. Recent Leaf sales even with new models are not that great. No matter how you think of the car we should still credit Nissan for getting in the EV arena ahead of most everyone else.

• Helpful
Reactions: AndreN
Leaf got a good head start. There were no alternatives until two years ago. Recent Leaf sales even with new models are not that great. No matter how you think of the car we should still credit Nissan for getting in the EV arena ahead of most everyone else.

I think this is a production issue at least for the Eplus. We ordered a 2020 Eplus SL last month. Delivery early 2020. Is it a battery shortage issue ? Dealers in BC are telling customers minimum 6 months for an Eplus. All 2019 production spoken for. We are not in a hurry but we have talked to others who are and who have just shrugged their shoulders and said “fine, we’ll just get a Tesla”. All the better for Tesla. Still the only mass EV manufacturer.

I think this is a production issue at least for the Eplus. We ordered a 2020 Eplus SL last month. Delivery early 2020. Is it a battery shortage issue ? Dealers in BC are telling customers minimum 6 months for an Eplus. All 2019 production spoken for. We are not in a hurry but we have talked to others who are and who have just shrugged their shoulders and said “fine, we’ll just get a Tesla”. All the better for Tesla. Still the only mass EV manufacturer.

Looks like it’s time to cancel that Leaf and get yourself a 3. Tesla has officially enabled Chademo charging for the 3.

Tesla Model 3 Gets CHAdeMO Adapter! | CleanTechnica

Why an Eplus vs. the other competitors, like Kia or Hyundai? They're all available in BC (not like here).

Why an Eplus vs. the other competitors, like Kia or Hyundai? They're all available in BC (not like here).

The Eplus checks a lot of boxes for us. We have also had very good service from our existing leaf so some brand loyalty there. We drove the Kia and Hyundai. Both were good but we like the Leaf the best overall From purely the drive point of view the model 3 wins hands down. Great car.

• Informative
Reactions: S'toon
There are by and large two camps on TMC.

1) IF it is BEV it is a great car.

2) IF it is not Tesla it sucks.
TMC does not lack for people who either own both, or used to own a LEAF and now own Tesla. I fall in the group that owns one of each.

LEAF:
Reasonable car
Goofy looks
Shiit battery that melts in the heat
Can be good value if bought cheap enough and matched to limited commuter use profile

Model 3:
Great car

The Model 3 is a LOT smaller than the Leaf though. The driving position is much lower, the boot is an awkward shape and not suitable for some types of cargo. No 360 cameras either, once you get used to those you never want to go back. I found the Leaf more comfortable too, except perhaps the steering wheel which is less adjustable.

Oh and the Leaf has Android Auto too, that's a pretty big deal for people who use Waze/Google Maps a lot.

The battery is fine if you live far enough North ;-)

Oh and you can get the Leaf for abut £8k less than an M3 SR+.

Really depends on your needs and what kind of car you prefer. The low-rider saloon shape of the M3 ruled it out for me.

The Model 3 is a LOT smaller than the Leaf though. The driving position is much lower, the boot is an awkward shape and not suitable for some types of cargo. No 360 cameras either, once you get used to those you never want to go back. I found the Leaf more comfortable too, except perhaps the steering wheel which is less adjustable.

Oh and the Leaf has Android Auto too, that's a pretty big deal for people who use Waze/Google Maps a lot.

The battery is fine if you live far enough North ;-)

Oh and you can get the Leaf for abut £8k less than an M3 SR+.

Really depends on your needs and what kind of car you prefer. The low-rider saloon shape of the M3 ruled it out for me.

Yah for sure. The model 3 is a better driving faster car. As well the Supercharging is so much better than the 100 KW charging of the Eplus. Love the styling as well. But the Leaf Eplus checks a few boxes for us the model 3 doesn’t. We are obviously in the minority here. We rarely use DCFC now and although that will probably change a bit going forward it’s not a big thing.

Here’s a few pluses for the Eplus for us.

- Hatchback
- Eplus sits quite a bit higher so easier ingress and egress.
- Heated steering wheel for sore 56 year old hands. This one is kinda important for us.
- Homelink standard. (Not really important for us)
- Heat pump so less energy use in mildly cold temps...like where we live in BC.
- E-Pedal. (One of our favourite things about the Leaf Eplus
- all around 360 view camera display
- pretty much no vampire drain. Important for us as we leave the country for a month or more at a time without being able to plug in.
- rear cross traffic alert avoidance system.
- quite a bit quieter than the model 3.
- the Eplus is about 11 grand cheaper than the 3 if both are dressed the same.

There are lots of things the model 3 does better than the Eplus but those things are not as important to us.

I think the model Y is going to be a good fit for us. It checks a lot of boxes the 3 doesn’t. I’m sure I’ll still like the looks of the 3 better though.

Reactions: 1 person