Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NIssan Leaf is a Better Car Than the Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A big research platform that I use for just about anything, from changing a cabin filter or making a trip from L.A. or San Diego to Las Vegas in a Model 3 is YouTube.. thank god for YouTube, I don’t care if the guy gets a click or a view. What I do care is the free important info that these guy are putting out to further educate me on that specific topic.

Fred

Oh I will use it to try to find out how to do something, like I said. I just am not into "watch me review XXX" or "watch me play this video game and act dumb" or stuff like that. I certainly appreciate real, useful information, but dont have to "follow" someone on youtube to do that. You can simply look it up realtime. My point was, however, that the OP in THIS thread, put out a sensationalist title that was sure to get eyeballs here, and then said "here is my video" vs just typing out what their points were. If they actually wanted a discussion, they would have typed out the points in the thread, rather than make a video which by the title is designed to just get clicks (clickbait).

Well, although the Tesla is clearly the better car, the Leaf is definetly selling well in our province. (BC). There is 1 (one) listed for sale on auto trader for the whole province. Our local dealer (small town interior B.C.) is allotted 18 per month and is sold out till November. We put a deposit down on an SL Eplus last week and our sales guy doesn’t expect to see it till October. We are leaving the country for four months in November so told him we would probably slide it till we get back and he is fine with that as he’ll just shift us forward. Timing actually works out good.

I wonder if Nissan will shift some production to Canada market as I noticed lots on cars.com.

Former owner of a 2012 Leaf with major capacity loss. Total driving range was about 41 miles or so when it was sold. Nissan service told us the capacity loss was caused by parking in hot parking lots in the summer (Sacramento valley can get over 108 F in the summer). Nissan service called once to say our Leaf had major issues because the car would not charge. Asked them if they turned off the charging timer and they just said "oh"........

Like you, my 2011 Leaf battery warranty was ending within a month and I was so close to the 8th Capacity bar that I left the leaf outside to bake in the sun for a little, that was enough to drop that Capacity bar and take it in for a new battery.

Fred

It looks like it is time for me to trade in my M3 RWD for a 2019 leaf. After reading all the great attributes the leaf has, how could I loose.

I just did a full charge Saturday for a round trip to JFK airport. After 11 months of ownership and 17,000 miles my 100% charge is down from 311 to 307. That is a massive 1.3% drop; Tesla makes an abysmal car. I am sure Nissan would never let me down. Come to think about it I should go and replace my RX-7 with a Yugo. They both burn gas. The Yugo probably gets better gas mileage and the Yugo is a very rare car. It can only appreciate in value over time…

I will leave the Leaf for those who love a bargain. I am sure it is an excellent city car and a good daily driver (I am sure it is superior to my 2000 Honda Insight). I am one who has never hesitated at doing 500 to 600 miles a day while driving coast to cost. A normal Saturday drive is typically 350 miles. I am not going to entertain the idea of doing a long drive in a leaf. It just sounds painful and foolish.

Former Leaf owner here. The Leaf is a great car! Ugly as heck -- but, a great car! The new one is still ugly.

Now a M3 owner - first new car evaar. Love it -- but, the Leaf is an awesome car...here's why

Where the Leaf beats the Tesla
  • Overall price
  • Price for options
  • Warranty & handing of issues
  • Stable pricing
  • Value
Where Tesla beats the Leaf
  • Style & performance
  • Technology
  • Range
Tesla's poor customer service -- poor handling of their warranty (recently updated) -- and constant price adjustments .... has taken some of the Luster off my Tesla, and from what I have read -- other people too.

The Leaf might not be as dope as the Tesla -- but, Nissan sure is making a quality product they stand behind, for a good price too. All issues we had with our Leaf were handled with minimal hassle.

Also a former Leaf owner:

Stable pricing? That’s a joke. I bought my 2014 Leaf in May of 2014, visited 3 different dealers, and got 3 different prices. 5 actually. 2 dealers called me approx a week later to say they had “adjusted their pricing”. So perceived value for the money was totally dependent upon a wildly fluctuating price.

Warranty & handling of issues? Nope! I was told I had to return each year to keep the warranty in force. When I tried to make an appointment after my first year, my service advisor told me they didn’t have a Leaf tech to perform the annual maintenance. When I asked where I could go, I was told no dealer in Las Vegas had one but maybe a dealer in LA did. With 80 mike range that would have been tough. He felt badly and nicely offered to give me a free oil change. No joke.

And, of course, Tesla’s charging network is the elephant in the room. Folks usually don’t mention it but it’s the only game in town if you plan on traveling anywhere.

Stable pricing? That’s a joke. I bought my 2014 Leaf in May of 2014, visited 3 different dealers, and got 3 different prices. 5 actually. 2 dealers called me approx a week later to say they had “adjusted their pricing”. So perceived value for the money was totally dependent upon a wildly fluctuating price.
There's no such thing as stable pricing when it comes to dealerships. Two people buying the same exact car at the same exact time will pay two different prices. Even though Tesla changes their prices a lot, at least it's transparent.

There's no such thing as stable pricing when it comes to dealerships. Two people buying the same exact car at the same exact time will pay two different prices. Even though Tesla changes their prices a lot, at least it's transparent.
Yep..and folks that go to a Tesla store and check for inventory pricing get an even better deal. And...at the end of the quarter even better deals. Like traditional car buying....there are deals to be had on Teslas...just gotta work it.

I LOVE my M3, but a Tesla Fanboy I am not. I also loved my Cayman, Subaru STI, Q5, X3, F150 and even my Focus Electric. I loath my wife's Atlas, didnt care for her 328i, Didnt care for the transmission and engine in the GLC 300, had issues with the Tiguan...you get the idea.

When it comes to the Leaf versus the Tesla, it is easy to overplay the looks thing. Yes, the leaf is ugly. But it is much more than looks which distances the Tesla from the Leaf. First of all, the Leaf has terrible suspension. Wafty, yes, but it crashes over large imperfections, gets unsettled and has erratic transient behavior. Just like EVERY OTHER NISSAN built in the last 20 years. If you think the leaf is more comfortable than the M3, you probably think that a Crown Victoria with blown shocks is comfortable. If there is one thing that Nissan sucks at it is suspension tuning. The M3 on the other hand, has one of the best chassis of any car under $100K. The Leafs battery management is inferior. Its seats are inferior. The ease of use of its infotainment system is inferior. Its autonomous features are inferior.

The three cars with the best chassis I have owned are the Porsche Cayman, a Mazda 3 Hatch, and..drumroll... the Model 3. They are leagues above the likes of the modern 3 series BMW, Subaru STi, Audi A4, and C-class. All of which easily shame even the best offerings from Nissan (370Z, Infinity Q50 etc). For the chassis dynamics alone, the M3 utterly trounces the Leaf.

I suppose if you dont like cars, and you dont like driving, the Leaf is a fine offering. But I have to wonder what you are doing on a car forum besides trolling if that is the case.

"The Nissan Leaf battery will degrade much quicker. "

No, it won't.
Speaking from personal experience you completely wrong. My Leaf lost close to 1/3 of it's capacity in 5 years. I only charged to 80% except for rare occasions and didn't high speed charge more than once a month. Plus I live in a cooler climate. There's no way I'll ever own another Leaf until Nissan has decent batteries.

Not to mention the M3 is now nearly the same price, roomier, much faster, much better handling, has a superior charging system, far superior electronics, a superior charging network, and is much better looking.

Last edited:
Speaking from personal experience you completely wrong. My Leaf lost close to 1/3 of it's capacity in 5 years. I only charged to 80% except for rare occasions and didn't high speed charge more than once a month. Plus I live in a cooler climate. There's no way I'll ever own another Leaf until Nissan has decent batteries.

Not to mention the M3 is now nearly the same price, roomier, much faster, much better handling, has a superior charging system, far superior electronics, a superior charging network, and is much better looking.

Are you saying that anyone who says Leaf batteries are fine, wont degrade are liars and HURTING people by giving them wrong information?

Just making sure we understand the gravity of the debate here.

Are you saying that anyone who says Leaf batteries are fine, wont degrade are liars and HURTING people by giving them wrong information?

He didnt say that at all. He didnt use the words Liars or Hurting. Can you read?

So much hyperbole. Someone who is wrong is not categorically a liar. Maybe ignorant/misinformed etc. and whats your definition of "hurting"?

The gravity of the debate? Its a mix of opinion and published/searchable information. There is no gravity, just intermittent muckraking and flame fanning.

This "leaf battery" debate reminds me of the "can BMW build decent V8's?" debate. there are pages and pages of posts with people with BMW 8 cylinder engines, and specifically the ones from late 2010 to around 2013-2014, detailing all of the problems with relatively low mileage cars (with relatively low mileage being defined as 0-60k or so).

Even though there are pages and pages of those posts, there are also people who "never had a problem" with their 2012 BMW 550 / X5 50i. In the case of BMW V8s its apparent that there are "some" that dont have problems, but WAAAY more DO have problems than should. BMW even had a "customer care package" (or in layman's terms a "non recall recall") on that engine.

Still, a few say "its fine" (normally people still driving them who havent had a problem yet).

This leaf battery thing sounds the exact same, with many people having an issue, and a few saying "its fine".

Its obviously NOT "fine" lol.. but its likely also true that some people have not had issues.

On a completely different side note, I said before that pretty much all EVs are ugly... I DO love the look of that upcoming Porsche however. It looks amazing, but it also does not look practical enough to be a daily driver for most (and nevermind I likely cant afford it).

The model S is a @$%@% sexy car for sure. Model 3 does not look as nice as a model S... especially from the front. Side profile is nice, as is the rear profile. I really dont love the model 3 front profile (while I DO love the model S and X floating "T" look... very distinctive. Tesla should lean into that floating T as design language like BMW leaned into kidney grills. Every tesla should have that floating T in my opinion.

At the same price point, the new Nissan Leaf is a better car than the Tesla Model 3?
Even if the Leaf was not truly god awful ugly, the one thing it can't touch on the Tesla is the OTA updates. In the 6 months since I purchased my car it has done nothing but improve. I've got more power, more range, it now has blind spot detection and warning, a dash cam feature, the brakes work better, it has Navigate on Autopilot, Sentry mode, pin to drive, and many, many others with more to come. Neither the Leaf nor any other car, electric or ice, can even come close to that nor do I see them ever doing so.

Former Leaf owner here.

Where the Leaf beats the Tesla
  • Stable pricing
While the MSRP may be steady, the process of shopping around multiple dealers and getting a different price based on the month, what their inventory level is, what factory incentives there are, and what local incentives there are is a nightmare compared to simply looking at the Tesla website.

30v02k.jpg

He didnt say that at all. He didnt use the words Liars or Hurting. Can you read?

So much hyperbole. Someone who is wrong is not categorically a liar. Maybe ignorant/misinformed etc. and whats your definition of "hurting"?

The gravity of the debate? Its a mix of opinion and published/searchable information. There is no gravity, just intermittent muckraking and flame fanning.

Would someone who promotes anti-vaxxing would be classified as only ignorant/misinformed?

There is a GRAVEYARD of Leafs at Carmax's around the country for 5000-7000. Something is up. For someone to just go off an say "there is no problem" - that warrants more than slap on the wrist.