Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan LEAF, the sequel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nissan starts teasing the next generation Leaf – releases first picture

Full reveal in September.
Expected to have battery capacity around 60 kWh and 200+ miles range.

Should be an epic battle of the hatchbacks: Bolt vs. LEAF!
Fred Lambert may be confused. He just wrote an article 2 weeks ago which points out that the 2018 car has quite a bit less range than their 2020 car target.

Nissan exec talks about next-gen LEAF electric range: ~215 to 340 miles over the next 2 years

Fred seems to be overoptimistic about how that JC08 range might translate to EPA. If you use the same conversion ratios that apply to the previous versions of the LEAF you end up with a 2018 LEAF range the looks more like 150 miles and ~40 kWh and a 2020 LEAF that looks like 200+ miles and ~60 kWh.

Fred Lambert may be confused. He just wrote an article 2 weeks ago which points out that the 2018 car has quite a bit less range than their 2020 car target.

Nissan exec talks about next-gen LEAF electric range: ~215 to 340 miles over the next 2 years

Fred seems to be overoptimistic about how that JC08 range might translate to EPA. If you use the same conversion ratios that apply to the previous versions of the LEAF you end up with a 2018 LEAF range the looks more like 150 miles and ~40 kWh and a 2020 LEAF that looks like 200+ miles and ~60 kWh.
I'm confused also. So are they doing a new body for 2018 (aka next gen) but battery not there yet (and offer upgrade in 2020 like the 30kWh pack for the gen 1 Leaf). Or is the 2018 Leaf just a refresh of the current-gen, and then the true next-gen is 2020?

I think Fred just pumps out click bait as fast as he can some days and has no coherent overview.

I try to avoid his site unless he somehow gets some bit of news that I can't find anywhere else. Even then the first thing I'm doing is looking for the source so I can go check the source.

• Disagree
Reactions: TI Sailor
There should always be interest in short range EVs that offer 80 to 100 mile operation. This gives you a light weight better handling vehicle at lower cost for customers that can happily live within these bounds. But manufacturers may drop these due to the complications of running separate crash and EPA tests for the short range option cars. So buyers will be stuck with dragging around extra battery weight that never will be justified until the day they sell the car.
--

I just read that the battery cells will continue to be sourced from AESC, so presumably tech from ~ 2013. And Nissan has stated that they will not use liquid cooling.

All in all, I expect battery degradation to be similar to Gen1 -- which is somewhere between bad and awful, depending on the climate. THANK YOU Tesla, for saving me from buying a Bolt. This LEAF is a non-starter.

I just read that the battery cells will continue to be sourced from AESC, so presumably tech from ~ 2013. And Nissan has stated that they will not use liquid cooling.

All in all, I expect battery degradation to be similar to Gen1 -- which is somewhere between bad and awful, depending on the climate. THANK YOU Tesla, for saving me from buying a Bolt. This LEAF is a non-starter.

What is wrong with the Bolt?

What is wrong with the Bolt?

GM has repeatedly supported state legislation designed to stifle Tesla's ability to sell direct to customers through Tesla stores.

A lot of people here will refuse to buy any GM product as a result. GM is almost as bad as Rambus was in the early 2000's by practicing "litigation to stifle innovation".