TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Nissan LEAF, the sequel

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by anticitizen13.7, May 18, 2017.

1. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

2. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Fred Lambert may be confused. He just wrote an article 2 weeks ago which points out that the 2018 car has quite a bit less range than their 2020 car target.

Nissan exec talks about next-gen LEAF electric range: ~215 to 340 miles over the next 2 years

Fred seems to be overoptimistic about how that JC08 range might translate to EPA. If you use the same conversion ratios that apply to the previous versions of the LEAF you end up with a 2018 LEAF range the looks more like 150 miles and ~40 kWh and a 2020 LEAF that looks like 200+ miles and ~60 kWh.

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I'm confused also. So are they doing a new body for 2018 (aka next gen) but battery not there yet (and offer upgrade in 2020 like the 30kWh pack for the gen 1 Leaf). Or is the 2018 Leaf just a refresh of the current-gen, and then the true next-gen is 2020?

4. kort677

kort677 Banned

I owned a leaf and beyond it's low level of luxury it is a fine car that is limited by it's very low range capabilities. if they can address the battery degradation issues, this increased range model might work well for many people.

• Like x 2
  5. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

I think they forgot to glue that DRL in place. I can't make sense of how that thing is floating above the headlamps.

6. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I think Fred just pumps out click bait as fast as he can some days and has no coherent overview.

I try to avoid his site unless he somehow gets some bit of news that I can't find anywhere else. Even then the first thing I'm doing is looking for the source so I can go check the source.

• Disagree x 1
  7. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

There should always be interest in short range EVs that offer 80 to 100 mile operation. This gives you a light weight better handling vehicle at lower cost for customers that can happily live within these bounds. But manufacturers may drop these due to the complications of running separate crash and EPA tests for the short range option cars. So buyers will be stuck with dragging around extra battery weight that never will be justified until the day they sell the car.
    --

8. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

9. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I just read that the battery cells will continue to be sourced from AESC, so presumably tech from ~ 2013. And Nissan has stated that they will not use liquid cooling.

All in all, I expect battery degradation to be similar to Gen1 -- which is somewhere between bad and awful, depending on the climate. THANK YOU Tesla, for saving me from buying a Bolt. This LEAF is a non-starter.

10. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

What is wrong with the Bolt?

11. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

GM has repeatedly supported state legislation designed to stifle Tesla's ability to sell direct to customers through Tesla stores.

A lot of people here will refuse to buy any GM product as a result. GM is almost as bad as Rambus was in the early 2000's by practicing "litigation to stifle innovation".

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

Thanks. I was wondering how he complained about the upcoming Leaf because of potential issues and then stated he will not buy a Bolt. Now I understand the GM context.