Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until you own a Leaf and find out that barely any Nissan dealers want to even deal with you.
"EV technology will continue to be at the heart of Nissan product development efforts"

Note he didn't say sales development efforts. Tesla's advantage in having it's own sales and service is underestimated. Nissan has to contend with dealers who won't even install CHAdeMO that Nissan would give them, and if they do some tell Leaf owners they can't use it if they didn't buy the car there.

Until you own a Leaf and find out that barely any Nissan dealers want to even deal with you.

"EV technology will continue to be at the heart of Nissan product development efforts"

Note he didn't say sales development efforts. Tesla's advantage in having it's own sales and service is underestimated. Nissan has to contend with dealers who won't even install CHAdeMO that Nissan would give them, and if they do some tell Leaf owners they can't use it if they didn't buy the car there.

True, but if the product is long range and the battery doesn't degrade under extreme temps like today, you shouldn't have to deal with the dealerships after you purchase the car. I don't see GM or Ford showing this much passion for sustainable transportation.

OK, now I am thoroughly confused. Is this the 2nd gen Leaf, Infinity EV, another EV concept car, or the future of all Nissan cars (e.g., autonomous driving)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx8XPU3driU
http://insideevs.com/nissan-ids-concept-live-photos-videos-tokyo/
http://insideevs.com/next-generation-nissan-leaf-illustrated-in-60-kwh-nissan-ids-concept/
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=20832#p441700

First, I highly doubt that all of these "concepts" will make it into a production car any time soon. Just like all conventional manufactures, Nissan is probably in show-off mode and we won't see anything like this. Second, this is obviously not the 2016 Leaf, and most likely not the 2017 Leaf either. However, what parts will show up in the next-gen (2017?) Leaf? The 60 KWh battery? That would be a significant challenge for the Tesla M3 if priced at the average car price. Time will tell.

One thing that was clear from the video, Ghosn is a much better presenter that Musk. Plus the concept vehicle was autonomous, huge overhead front windshield, doors opened/closed automatically (04:00 in the 1st video), low profile door handles (maybe not even needed now), and a lack of side mirrors. Wow, that is looking very similar to the Tesla X..

Recently Nissan USA has an unusual track record of making production vehicles that are very very similar to the concept - the recent Murano and Maxima are perfect example of that. or even the Chinese spec Nissan Lannia

But this is Nissan Global - Japan
Yes it is the next generation LEAF, yes the silhouette of LEAF gen 2 will be very close to the IDS concept.
No, it won't have that glass roof as standard
No, it will not have suicide doors (thats a concept car trick to display the inside)
Yes it will have a very similar face
No it won't have those inside details
It may have swivel seats, Nissan already sells low to mid end models already with swivel seats in Japan.
Yes it has a 60kWh battery
The battery seems to same or very similar footprint to the current 24kWh/30kWh pack, but seems both thicker and less empty space.

Lots of cars have a very similar silhouette to the Tesla model X, the ford focus comes to my mind, the Toyota Prius goes to others. Size is different, but silhouette is very very close between Tesla and Ford focus, Toyota Prius

My expectation is that the LEAF gen 2 is released late 2017 as a 2018 model.
Image the IDS face grafted onto a Chinese spec Nissan Sentra (Lannia)
2015_nissan_lannia_china_01-0420-1539x942.jpg

Nissan-IDS-concept-1021-876x535.jpg

^^^Well, I hope you're right. If Nissan can deliver close to that, they are way ahead of my 2011 Leaf. Great specs. Hopefully, they will have a high-temperature stable battery. I've had about 20% degradation, even here in the inland PNW. Fortunately, for in-town driving, I can handle even 50% degradation. With a 200 mi battery, I could handle 80% degradation!

I expect Leaf Gen 2 to be very close to IDS concept on the outside. They will change some elements which may be expensive.

It will definitely NOT have sentra/Lannia face. Leaf doesn't need all that grill. IDS face doesn't look particularly expensive to make, so no reason that can't be kept. The kinds of things that will change are
- normal doors
- normal door handles
- normal side mirrors
- different wheels

If you go back and look at Leaf concept that was unveiled and the actual production car in 2010 - you have to be a Leaf expert to notice the differences.

If you go back and look at Leaf concept that was unveiled and the actual production car in 2010 - you have to be a Leaf expert to notice the differences.
I don't think that example works that well. The Leaf when it was unveiled was pretty much a production intent design, it was not the typical "concept" vehicles you see. This car however is very much concept.

2015 Nissan LEAF For $10,623 – Special Black Friday Deal

Drive Electric Northern Colorado announced an interesting deal for 2015 Nissan LEAFs in Colorado.

Thanks to $9,007 off the LEAF’s retail price through the Group-Buy, the $7,500 tax credit and the $5,000 Colorado state tax credit, the price of the 2015 LEAF could be just $10,623!

$21,000 savings? One-third of the sticker price? Sweet!

<snip>
Full article at:
http://insideevs.com/2015-nissan-leaf-for-10623-special-black-friday-deal/