Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, I estimate the real world range of the LEAF to be 100 miles at 45 mph and 60 miles at 65 mph. This is based on the chart found on Tesla's engineering blog, adjusted for the size of the LEAF's battery pack at 24 kwh vs the Roadster's 53 kwh. I have no choice but to assume the drag coefficient is the same for both vehicles since Nissan isn't disclosing that info yet. I also used a variable derating factor of about 20% to account for the inefficiency caused by the faster discharge rate. This is just a rough estimate, more like an educated guess, based on the limited information I could find. So it appears that at any given speed the LEAF's range would be roughly a third of the Roadster's range.

I'm wildly against any kind of added running noise, especially for the outside.
A bootup sound though actually does sound like a good idea. Just like the Roadster has. Simply a small bleep sound to indicate the car is ready and performed a quick selftest.

Cobos

Nissan is really stepping up.

Impressive.
“We didn’t want to say, ‘Here’s your car, now you’re on your own."
-- Mark Perry, a Nissan spokesman handling the Leaf introduction
1496508.jpg

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise...s-into-the-electric-vehicle-charging-business

I'm wildly against any kind of added running noise, especially for the outside. Cobos

Me too!! I would disable any exterior noise components immediately. After the battery issues are resolved EV critics will jump on the "lack of noise" bandwagon.

An idea would be to allow a customizable boot up noise in the same manner as we pick cell phone ring tones. I would use the Windows startup music in my Model S.

While there is considerable media focus on rapid-charging stations for electric vehicles (EVs) such as those offered by Project Better Place, most EV charging is likely to occur at home. That's a necessity in the short term given the present dearth of rapid charging stations available to the public, but it may also carry into the future.

It bugs me when I read this sort of a statement. For now, and forever, I want to be able to charge my EV at home! Sure, for rapid charging, going to a recharge facility is OK, but EV manufacturers had better never deny me the ability to recharge at a slower rate at home, or I'd refuse to buy one. And if that requires some engineering and rework of the power grid by the power companies, then so be it.

I wonder if requiring a home charger unit would mean the Leaf cannot just be plugged into any random 240V outlet, say at an RV park for instance.

In other news ... Nissan Still Toying with Leaf Noise - Nashville Public Radio

Nissan found people prefer silent cars.:smile:

It's supposedly against electrical code to have the kind of 240V dryer plug cables that the Tesla is currently using, which is why the Leaf and the Volt both have 240V charging units (which is kind of misleading since the actually charger that converts AC to DC for the battery is inside the car and the charging unit in the garage just communicates with the cars and regulates the charging). 110V of course is always okay. I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with a range of adapters and a 240V charging cable like what has been done with the Roadster.

Siry on the Leaf:

In Race to Market, Nissan’s Electric Car Takes Shortcuts | Autopia | Wired.com

He suggests you may actually want to lease the battery since it doesn't have any active thermal management.

This has all the markers of a classic FUD tactic. This was faithfully hyped up in gm-volt.com.

Lutz recently said Nissan is "rolling the dice" with Leaf - coming from a person whose vision bankrupted the largest automobile manufacturer it was rich.

With competetors (?) making all these remarks - I've to say Nissan is doing fine. Afterall they make their own batteries - and would know them better than others.

BTW, Th!nk also uses "passive" design.

Last edited:
I went to see the Leaf today at the Museum of Science in Boston, a stop on their "Nissan LEAF Zero Emission Tour" chatted with several Nissan reps, as well as at least one Engineering guy.

It was interesting to discuss EV's with the several different types of people at the event. The 'greenies' who were one-upping each other with how far 'off-the grid' they were, discussing solar panel sizes and how to best charge an EV off solar. The techies (myself included) were talking kWh, charge times, and laws of physics. And the most interesting (to me) was the general public who had no clue what this car was, and seemed very surprised that an all electric car existed at all. The final type that was there were apparently Nissan dealers, who were getting their first look at the actual hardware. From them I overheard that the "word from on high" was that Nissan is trying to be associated with EV's the way Toyota is associated with hybrids today.

With regards to the battery pack, they say they've been working on batteries for 17 years--I'm not sure what they were using them for. When pressed, the engineer did get a bit defensive, claiming that Tesla's 18650 tech is "10 years behind" Nissan's Lithium Manganese prismatics, and he questioned Tesla's ability to mass manufacture as complicated a setup as the Tesla pack. He also dissed A123's chemistry saying the energy density wasn't up to snuff, which was interesting as A123 are the local darling of the Mass. politicos who were at the event to announce a new "Zero Emission Vehicle Alliance" with Nissan. I'm not sure he was aware who might have been listening! But he seemed to genuinely understand the issues, and was proudly defending Nissan's engineering trade offs.

One thing that became clear, Nissan is trying to reduce range anxiety by make sure level 3 fast charging is widely available. My take on this was that once the real range of an EV approaches 400 miles, no one will give a darn about Level 3--except perhaps for their own garage.

With regards to leasing the battery pack--according to the booth babes (not a great source, I admit, but nice to talk with!) Nissan is backing off on the "buy the car but lease the battery" idea, apparently due to some federal law that disallows selling a car without a complete power train. Sounds just crazy enough to be true. Instead, they are going to focus on leasing the whole package, and thus be able to apply some percentage of the $7500 tax credit up front as a cost basis reduction. In addition, initial sales will be pre-qualified with the ability to install 220V charging station at home or work. They admit they already know the price, but are not going to announce it until April. They are only saying "25-32K" at the moment. Not clear if that's with or without the $7500 tax credit. And it does not include the charging station ($500 with subsidy I think I heard them say) and it's installation.

Overall, I was rather impressed with the Leaf, even though I do feel it's not very pretty. The fact that a major name brand will be mass marketing a pure EV is great step forward. If they really can deliver on their time frame (they claim December for the initial markets, April 2011 for Boston) I will seriously consider one--at least until the Model S shows up on my door!

One thing that became clear, Nissan is trying to reduce range anxiety by make sure level 3 fast charging is widely available. My take on this was that once the real range of an EV approaches 400 miles, no one will give a darn about Level 3--except perhaps for their own garage.

As a driver of RAV4-EV for 8 years, my opinion is different. As range anxiety is overcome, people will realize that cost and weight associated with long range battery pack is not worth it, as long as level 3 or fast charging is available everywhere. I think Nissan has a right idea.

Last edited by a moderator: