Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like more feedback from EV owners on Mr. Ghosn's quote. Is he right, has he nailed it? Is he mostly right(as in right for most people)? Or has he got this horribly wrong?

I think this is an important question and may say a lot about the uptake of EV's in the next 10-15 years.

If he is even close, what that is saying is; an EV is a superior product(or everyone is an environmentalist).
He has it right, with the caveat that for some people an EV will not work right now, maybe not ever. If you are one of the few that actually travels 100's of miles at a time very frequently an EV probably isn't practical. Also if you have no place to charge one it won't work. For the rest of us, they are great. I hate driving my ICE but will be forced to for the rest of the winter. I refuse to have my EV dissolved by road salt, and the less than 6 inches of ground clearance won't get me through snow drifts.

I agree he has it right. And I agree that once you have the EV bug it's nearly impossible to "kill". But as far as mass adoption ... we will need to wait several years to prove that the batteries hold up and that their replacement cost is "reasonable" (a different # in each person's opinion) in consideration of the TCO vis-a-vis the ICE.

Infrastructure is not a problem in my mind. Even the 100-mile EV can be the primary (largest # of miles) daily transport for the super majority of families. Charging is done at home overnight. LEAF can do 180miles with one 30 minute QuickCharge stop over to destination; hardly an inconvenience. (Two+ QCs/day (or QC every day) affects battery life according to Nissan). The occasional long-distance trip (400+) is done with either a] compromise (long stop overs) or b] other (2nd, rental, borrowed, etc) car.

I think there is a "turning point" where the EV starts to seem normal and gas cars seem like the oddball thing to drive.

Most people get into an EV for the first time thinking it is odd, but once driven enough the mindset can flip.

The distinction is "buy" not "drive" that makes that mental shift to never wanting anything but an EV again. If you were inclined enough to "try" the new way of driving that doing it every day will surely convince you that you made the right move. Now add to that you know that other electric cars will be soon be out in droves you can easily convince yourself to never go back to gasoline.

I think there is a "turning point" where the EV starts to seem normal and gas cars seem like the oddball thing to drive.

Most people get into an EV for the first time thinking it is odd, but once driven enough the mindset can flip.

It took a couple days to a week of EV driving before I considered driving an ICE to be odd. Every time I drive my wife's car, I am re-acquainted with that annoying input lag that is unavoidable with ICE. Her car is quiet as far as ICE goes but it nevertheless sounds like a roaring machine until I my ears re-adjust.

I'm with everyone else here--I have no interest in purchasing an ICE vehicle now. Even the most premium luxury cars seem low-tech because their engine is, well, decidedly low-tech. And the thought of having to use gas stations again? I'll pass.

Lots of great dialogue here. Do any of you think Volt drivers will have the same perspective?
Good question. Tough to answer. With the Volt it's just too easy to fall into a routine to rely on the "generator" (GM speak! ) ... ahem ... gasoline engine (!). But for someone VERY curious "what would it be like if I didn't have to go to the gas station anymore?" ... and well disciplined (to plug in at every opportunity, including at work) ... it might just be very much the same. Problem is, of course, if you get a Volt you're at a disadvantage right out of the gate (only 40 miles without gas). The 40 could still work for a lot of people, but it's too easy to let is slip. With the LEAF you have 100 and you have an INCENTIVE to make it work (no gas to fall back on). (Not that I think it would be a problem, as commented before, that the 100 is too limiting; it's not for the super majority of cases.)

As I read someone comment somewhere -- in context to "Americans only drive 40 miles a day" -- the LEAF is just like the Volt: 40 miles, plus a 60 mile reserve !

Last edited:
It is a good question...my instinct says no, they will not have the same perspective...chiefly, because anyone who has performed even a modicum of research into the Volt (or other hybrids or extended range EVs) knows that they are not the true answer (due to their ICE components)...having driven nothing but hybrids for the last 5 years, I can honestly say although I feel that I was "ahead of the curve" & "doing my part", when driving the hybrids, I was always completely cognizant of when the ICE component was powering the vehicle (most of the time) thus I was no different than an ICE vehicle when this happened.

With the Volt, I think you will always have (in the back of your mind) the knowledge that with hard acceleration or driving with your battery pack exhausted, you're no different than a regular ICE vehicle once the ICE component fires up...

Lots of great dialogue here. Do any of you think Volt drivers will have the same perspective?

He has it right, with the caveat that for some people an EV will not work right now, maybe not ever. If you are one of the few that actually travels 100's of miles at a time very frequently an EV probably isn't practical. Also if you have no place to charge one it won't work. For the rest of us, they are great. I hate driving my ICE but will be forced to for the rest of the winter. I refuse to have my EV dissolved by road salt, and the less than 6 inches of ground clearance won't get me through snow drifts.
I agree with your point, but I keep remembering how every gas station was complaining when gas was at around $4 in 2008, that they were going broke. They don't make much on the gas and people wasn't being enough of the convenience store stuff.
So a a massive uptake of EV's and big upswing in gas prices means there will be sold a lot less gas, and hence many of the gas stations will go under. The interesting question then is what does that do with the gasoline cars range? Will those driving around 100's of miles each day bring their own 20gallon tank of extra gasoline? Or how will they handle that?

Cobos

Range anxiety for ICE's. LOL. Still with 300+ mile range I doubt it will be a problem. Plus a smart gas station owner could survive by adding some fast charge ports and a little sit down cafe with internet access, generating extra income as customers wait for a charge.

Noting the Leaf's 99 MPGe EPA rating -- What is the rating for the Roadster?

Sorry this is a bit off topic.
You can Google "tesla roadster sticker" and get two results under the older format, not this new sticker with MPGe and not sure if under the same testing (warning, large pictures):
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/11/16/automobiles/sticker-3.jpg
http://iggyz.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/Tesla/CIMG3799.JPG

Basically it is:

2009 Tesla Roadster
32/33/32.45 (kW-hr/100miles city/highway/combined), 104 MPGe

2010 Tesla Roadster Sport
29/32/30.35 (kW-hr/100miles city/highway/combined), 111 MPGe

2011 Nissan Leaf
32/37/34 (kW-hr/100miles city/highway/combined), 99 MPGe

Range anxiety for ICE's. LOL.

I wouldn't dismiss the idea so quickly. It's not like it hasn't happened before:
Energy_crisis_-_oild_sold_out.jpg

0asorrynogass.jpg