Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Wireless recharge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
Nissan's EV forays leading to wireless recharging? - AutoblogGreen

Burying cables under parking lots is always going to be more costly than a simple cable, plug and socket since both systems will still need a metal box + payment + charge option selector by the side of each parking bay.

The disruption to existing routes to install some sort of recharge-as-you-idle/drive system would be significant.

But it's good to hear that Nissan are thinking in terms of several EV models.

I have to imagine that long range inductive charging like that is rather inefficient. Conductive charging seems like the best way to go even if it isn't as convenient.

I have to imagine that long range inductive charging like that is rather inefficient. Conductive charging seems like the best way to go even if it isn't as convenient.

Hee! And pumping oil out of the ground on the other side of the world, transporting it here, refining it and trucking it all around the country so that cars can get a quick refuel is efficient? :)

Not the most efficient, certainly. But convenience itself is time efficiency, and still much more efficient than the current status quo. It would be great to take as long a trip as possible and never have to stop for fueling.

Perhaps someday parking spaces will have a conductive hookup that automatically attaches when you stop. I think Better Place was proposing something like that (although it would be manual hook up until they perfected the "robotic arm" mechanism).