Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nitrogen Question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone put Nitrogen in their Tesla Model Y tires? In my previous car i put nitrogen in the tires and it improved tire ware and kept tire pressure stable. Just wondering if i should do this to my Tesla. Could this interfere with any of the Tesla's performance or traction control. I'm assuming not.

• Funny
Reactions: jelloslug
This issue has been hashed and rehashed here on the forum seemingly forever, so a while back I researched and found a white paper and a letter on the subject of effusion and permeation as it relates to O2 vs N2 in tires.

The short answer is that if the two are completely dry, there's no appreciable difference between O2 and N2 in volume change due to temperature at the pressure and temperature ranges seen in automobile tire usage. The difference comes from moisture that is typically present when tires are filled with ambient air and from the fact that O2 is 3-4 times more likely to pass through tire compounds than N2 is.

These combined moisture/permeability issues do make a difference. Obviously, how much trouble and expense it’s worth going to is up to the individual.

Tyre pressure stability (air, nitrogen, temperature etc)

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Anyone put Nitrogen in their Tesla Model Y tires? In my previous car i put nitrogen in the tires and it improved tire ware and kept tire pressure stable. Just wondering if i should do this to my Tesla. Could this interfere with any of the Tesla's performance or traction control. I'm assuming not.
I'm really doubting it improves tire wear. No evidence of that in studies and doesn't make any sense.

If oxygen diffusing out more rapidly than nitrogen was a significant factor, filling and refilling the tires with regular air would eventually result in nearly 100% nitrogen inside the tire anyway.
Don't
A dealer asked me if I wanted to put nitrogen into my tires. Without thinking about it I said 'yes' and got about $100 added to the bill. Not worth it unless its free.
That's a rip off. Most places charge $5 to $8 per tire and even that isn't worth it to me. Agree, unless it is free, I don't need it.

I don't know if it is because of the car weight, but I noticed that about every six months or so I need to add some air pressure.

With regular air, you can visit any gas station, or use your own electrical pump if you don't want to get taken for crazy when going to a gas station !!!

Using Nitrogen limit your options for finding a gas station or tire sales location.

Also agree, nitrogen is not going to help with tire wear, but since it usually helps a little with keeping pressure stable, that is what really helped your tire wear (keeping correct pressure in the tires). I just regularly check and inflate my tires and serves the same purpose. :) I'd never put nitrogen in my tires unless it is free and most places it isn't. It is a expensive upsell. About 78% of the air you breathe is nitrogen anyway.

Reactions: KrenGrl
I don't know if it is because of the car weight, but I noticed that about every six months or so I need to add some air pressure.

With regular air, you can visit any gas station, or use your own electrical pump if you don't want to get taken for crazy when going to a gas station !!!

Using Nitrogen limit your options for finding a gas station or tire sales location.
yes on that. In my case I have to adjust the pressure in my tires about every 6 months due to the wide change in temperature up here from summer to winter.

• Helpful
Reactions: KrenGrl
Watts_Up: Here in the Milky Way, adding air every 6 months would be quite normal.

The PSI change occurs seasonally. PSI changes 1-2 pounds for every 10 degrees (fahrenheit) temperature change, up or down. I monitor my tires, probably every month.

I'm not sure if it's the same in your galaxy.

If oxygen diffusing out more rapidly than nitrogen was a significant factor, filling and refilling the tires with regular air would eventually result in nearly 100% nitrogen inside the tire anyway.

that is wrong.. no. Refilling it with atmospheric air will end up with slightly more oxygen than at regular air. Oxygen (O2) is MW 32, while Nitrogen is MW 28 (N2).

“Graham's law of diffusion states "under the same conditions of temperature and pressure, the rates of diffusion of different gases are inversely proportional to the square roots of their molecular masses or their densities."

As the mass of Nitrogen is lesser than that of Oxygen, its rate of diffusion is higher.