Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nitron Street series shocks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been looking into alternatives to the Tesla suspension kit. I found a newer Nitron series, the Street series, which are a monoshock with single adjustment. Have any of you tried this shock series? I see no reason to modify torsion bar at this time and want to try a 'modular' incremental approach to modifying the suspension so I can tell exactly what changes I experience. Anyone tried these shocks?

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...impressions-Nitron-46mm-NTR-Race-1-way-shocks

I was looking at the 46mm Race shocks too, but they come with a service record. In my case I would have to service them 3 times a year...
One level down would be the "Nitron NTR Fast Road" version, but I have no info (yet) on the service that one needs.

For the installation, the torsion bar needs no modification, but do pay attention to Wizecty's advise:

Driver's ABS shock (Tesla) bracket needs to be cut and properly mounted (tig welded) to the supplied Nitron shock mount. Both the Nitron and the old shock mount should have a mirror or similar look after the modification but only the difference of the Tesla ABS mount is attached. Meaning the geometry preserved.

thanks for the reply Andrew. I am trying to educate myself about shocks and find it is difficult to get a lot of info. I did find someone that suggested I look at the NTR (96-02) 46mm shock though and in the standard spring rate I think it's rated 550/650lbs. F/R . Is this what you have? Reading on blogs for bikes I found they were hard to 'dial-in' the setting, and that there was no numbers or increment graduations to setup the shocks, but when they were dialed in, they got good reviews. Still searchin' for more info....

Like several others here in the bay area, I went to Dietchwerks. Unlike Dennis - who understood everything he was doing - I just did what Rob Dietch said to do :).

I believe that I have these:
Nitron

There was a mount that had to be modified/welded to get it to work on the Tesla. There were also some camber changes and some new bushings involved.

I think I have some adjustment reports that I can try to scan and post.

According to the Tesla service manager in Scottsdale, Tesla has the right to refuse to service any Tesla vehicle with any non-OEM parts. Just FYI for you guys who are modifying your vehicles. It's a crap policy but the service manager told me it is the case. He even said that for his Model S customers who changed their wheels out, he made them sign a waiver of liability before they can touch their vehicles.

According to the Tesla service manager in Scottsdale, Tesla has the right to refuse to service any Tesla vehicle with any non-OEM parts. Just FYI for you guys who are modifying your vehicles. It's a crap policy but the service manager told me it is the case. He even said that for his Model S customers who changed their wheels out, he made them sign a waiver of liability before they can touch their vehicles.

There's a lot of DIY roadster tinkerers on this forum and I have read few complaints about this policy from them.
I don't doubt the policy exists and you're on the bad receiving end of it with your salvaged title roadster, but people that only changed headlights, shocks, disk pads, rims or tires were usually just told that Tesla wouldn't touch these parts, not the car.
These are all 'serviceable' parts (like shocks in this thread) and I would expect this is not exposing us to the full wrath of this policy!

Reactions: dhrivnak
thanks for all the input. Finally got a reply from Nitron UK... they thought since the Nitrons had no rubber bushings I would not get any 'smooth' improvement over the stock Bilsteins.... odd, as I would think the adjustable nature and spring rates would smooth out the ride more than the mounting points...

Got a qoute from Tesla GER for shocks (standard and sport version - at least sport version will be NOS I guess and collected in a service center somewhere where its still stocked....). Am I missing a point or did the Tesla homepage once offer the sport version for 2.500 $ US?
I mean ok its a damned cool and rare vehicle meanwhile, but 6 grand for some shocks... wtf???

Standard shocks:

Parts: Price
6004487 - Assy-Spring & Damper Front 540.34
6004487 - Assy-Spring & Damper Front 540.34
1007226-00-A - RR SPR AND DAMPER ASSY 1,126.89
1007226-00-A - RR SPR AND DAMPER ASSY 1,126.89
Subtotal Parts Price: (EUR) 3,334.46
Subtotal Services and Parts: (EUR) 3,523.46
Discount: (EUR) 0.00
Shipping: (EUR) 0.00
Estimated Tax: (EUR) 669.46
Total Amount: (EUR) 4,192.92

Sport version

Parts: Price
6002774 - Assy-Spring & Damper Rear,Adj 1,076.47
6002774 - Assy-Spring & Damper Rear,Adj 1,076.47
6002775 - Assy-Spring & Damper Front,Adj RH 1,363.03
6003361 - Assy-Spring & Damper Front LH,Adj 1,363.03
Subtotal Parts Price: (EUR) 4,879.00
Subtotal Services and Parts: (EUR) 5,068.00
Discount: (EUR) 0.00
Shipping: (EUR) 0.00
Estimated Tax: (EUR) 962.92
Total Amount: (EUR) 6,030.92

Note: This is a quote on list price, actual prices may vary at the time of service.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
The previous owner of #265 had the $6K adjustable sport suspension put in. I absolutely LOVE it. I was able to adjust the sway bars to dial out some understeer which made mountain driving more enjoyable. I used to take mine autocrossing, and was able to firm-up the suspension without tools, or taking the tires off. After you do it a few times you know where to reach and just count the clicks. :)

• Informative
Reactions: DanielFriederich
shame on me... warden_clyffe yesterday told me that all signatures had been delivered with the sport suspension... he turned the front wheels... click click click and turned one suspension to hardest level... Damn... never too late to learn something new :D

hi @DanielFriederich , i have a signature sport (eu #243) too. how can i turn suspension to a different level? gr, marcel