Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NITTO MOTIVE - Longer Life & Lower Cost Alternative to Michelin MXM4 Tires?

Should Tesla Make Higher Quality Tires for Model 3?

• No - Keep Expensive Michelin MXM4 Tires

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Yes - Make Higher Quality Tire at Lower Cost

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Michelin 235/45R18W MXM4 Tires that came Factory on my Model 3 needed to be changed after just 25,000 Miles.
The MXM4's cost about $330 to replace per tire, or $1,320 for 4 tires.
A tire shop in Arizona recommended the Japanese NITTO MOTIVO 235/45R18W tires as a less expensive alternative, priced at $190 per tire, or $760 for 4 tires. Do you have experience with this tire or any Less Expensive Alternatives to the Austrian Michelin Tires?

Attachments

• TM3 Michelin Tire 25,000 Miles.jpg
    TM3 Michelin Tire 25,000 Miles.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 526
The Michelin CrossClimate+ seem to have pretty good test results on TireRack and they’re like $200/tire. The ExtremeContact DWS 06 are also a huge favorite by everyone and are under $200/tire and have a 50k/6 year warranty. (I would imagine you need to rotate them like every 5,000 miles or something to get that warranty though)

I would stay away from the lesser known brands. The tires are the only part of your car that actually touch the ground, you want those to be quality.

Reactions: Jayhof
The tires are the only part of your car that actually touch the ground, you want those to be quality.

Hmm. ONLY part that touch the ground? Wow, that's extreme, you sure about that? I'm still trying to figure it out.

And look at that "quality" $330 Austrian Michelin tire! How come it's so expensive and so bald if it's only touching the ground? Couldn't you just insert some lights or disinfectant?

Last edited:
Hmm. ONLY part that touch the ground? Wow, that's extreme, you sure about that? I'm still trying to figure it out.

And look at that "quality" $330 Austrian Michelin tire! How come it's so expensive and so bald if it's only touching the ground? Couldn't you just insert some lights or disinfectant?

I’m confused.... the tires literally are the only part of your car that is touching the road... you could have the best brakes, best all wheel drive, etc etc etc and if you have horrible tires that’s going to play a huge role in the overall performance and safety.

I’m not saying those other tires are horrible, just that I trust the testing on TireRack. You can see the difference between 60-0 stopping distance and stuff, some of the lesser brands or cheaper tires are significantly longer stopping distance. If there is a couple feet between three different brands and the main differences are road noise and comfort and such, maybe I’ll pick the cheaper. However, if one stops like 34 feet shorter than the other, I might seriously consider that tire over the other.

It’s kinda like when I see a big expensive SUV out on snowy roads acting like it’s king and can go anywhere at any speed and I noticed they have mismatched all season tires or some horribly cheap no-name or almost bald all seasons. I just shake my head a little and make sure I’m not near them when leaving, etc. A couple hundred extra bucks can get great dedicated winter tires or strong performing summer tires or all seasons that stop short if it’s dry OR wet.

Also, Tesla doesn’t make the tires at all and I’m it sure I would want them to. The tire manufacturers have a huge amount of research and development into it and can constantly refine and release updates to their tires. It’s probably the torque and weight of the vehicle more than anything that wears the tires out... also possibly under inflated can accelerate wear.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I've got the Nittos. Have a bit over 10k miles on them so far. Rotated them ~2k miles ago, rears were wearing faster than the fronts, but that's what happened to my OEM tires too, so I'm sure that's my driving. Haven't noticed a drop in range, traction seems good, well rated tire. I expect to get 35k miles with regular rotation, hopefully more, but I'm not very good at keeping my foot out of the "hyperspace motivator." :D

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: EVNation and bbk3e
Also, Tesla doesn’t make the tires at all and I’m it sure I would want them to. The tire manufacturers have a huge amount of research and development into it and can constantly refine and release updates to their tires. It’s probably the torque and weight of the vehicle more than anything that wears the tires out... also possibly under inflated can accelerate wear.
Beat me to it. Just remember: you get what you pay for. For the Teslas I look for reputable tire company and LRR/Eco rating. So much is riding on your tires I refuse to compromise for a few bucks per tire. I prefer the Continental PureContact LS or Bridgestone QuietTrack.

The Michelin 235/45R18W MXM4 Tires that came Factory on my Model 3 needed to be changed after just 25,000 Miles.
A tire shop in Arizona recommended the Japanese NITTO MOTIVO 235/45R18W tires as a less expensive alternative, priced at $190 per tire, or $760 for 4 tires. Do you have experience with this tire or any Less Expensive Alternatives to the Austrian Michelin Tires?

you drove the tires down *WELL* below the legal limit set by DOT and your state... the question is WHY ? if you had caused an accident with those tires you'd be in pretty big trouble

I bought my M3P+ used with 10k miles on it and it came with Nitto tires. I assume the original owner either didn't like the original Michelins or wore them out and replaced them prior to selling the car. I've put 7k miles on the car since taking ownership and the Nitto tires are holding up well. I don't have any experience with the Michelins so I can't say which one is better, but the Nittos are doing a fine job for me so far. Only time will tell...

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation
The Michelin CrossClimate+ seem to have pretty good test results on TireRack and they’re like $200/tire. The ExtremeContact DWS 06 are also a huge favorite by everyone and are under $200/tire and have a 50k/6 year warranty. (I would imagine you need to rotate them like every 5,000 miles or something to get that warranty though)

I would stay away from the lesser known brands. The tires are the only part of your car that actually touch the ground, you want those to be quality.

OP is in southern California in mid summer. There is pretty much no rain from April-December these days.

I was planning on putting Michelin CrossClimate's on our Model 3 next as the MXM4's suck in the snow when we go to Tahoe (assuming the resorts ever get to open again) - but we blew a well worn one out on some road debris and roadside assistance put a brand new MXM4 on (in less than 30min!) so I got another to match.

I put on the CrossClimates on about 4 months ago. Definitely noisier than the Michelins. Also worse efficiency, though I have heard that all new tires start off that way. Efficiency does seem to be getting better lately (independent of summer weather gains)

They are outstanding with water traction, though. By far the best tire I’ve ever owned in that regard. Had a giant thunderstorm a couple weeks ago and they cut right through the accumulating water.

just a few things to point out

Michelin makes the CrossClimate, and CrossClimate+.

They are a French-based company, that has large manufacturing in the US.

But no automotive tire company i'm aware of has anything to do with Austria :)

"But no automotive tire company i'm aware of has anything to do with Austria :)"

That's extreme. How about Australia?

Are those factory Michelins unique in being stuffed with MyPillow filler, or something?

I just drove on good new asphalt on Highway 9 from near Cupertino into the mountains, and it was extra-terrestrial. So silent, like riding on air. And almost every other car a Tesla.

Is there any tire that will let you drive more silently on those horrible crunchy cement highways?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jkdman123
"But no automotive tire company i'm aware of has anything to do with Austria :)"

That's extreme. How about Australia?

Are those factory Michelins unique in being stuffed with MyPillow filler, or something?

I just drove on good new asphalt on Highway 9 from near Cupertino into the mountains, and it was extra-terrestrial. So silent, like riding on air. And almost every other car a Tesla.

Is there any tire that will let you drive more silently on those horrible crunchy cement highways?
Are you quite okay?

• Funny
Reactions: TX_M3P+