Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ 5k incentive for EV under 50k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it a rebate or they take it off the sticker price at delivery?
I spoke on phone with account rep at short hills nj showroom. He said $5k is subtracted from price... so I guess that’s a rebate? Then he said my MY non-perf w/white seats... (MSRP just under $55k)... does not qualify for rebate since the $55k limit is for MSRP + $1600 for delivery + DMV. What???
I read the NJ rebate... it only mentions MSRP. I then asked if I could take delivery in Fremont CA to avoid delivery fee... he said no.. delivery fee is fixed by law.

I’m not convinced this manager is correct.

I spoke on phone with account rep at short hills nj showroom. He said $5k is subtracted from price... so I guess that’s a rebate? Then he said my MY non-perf w/white seats... (MSRP just under $55k)... does not qualify for rebate since the $55k limit is for MSRP + $1600 for delivery + DMV. What???
I read the NJ rebate... it only mentions MSRP. I then asked if I could take delivery in Fremont CA to avoid delivery fee... he said no.. delivery fee is fixed by law.

I’m not convinced this manager is correct.
I also spoke with Tesla over the phone, after putting a deposit for Model Y, and was told exactly the same thing. I want to get a configuration that came out to just under 55k, like $54,990, and they said MSRP includes the destination and docs fees. All of my searches on definitions of MSRP online say otherwise. Not sure what to do either...

I also spoke with Tesla over the phone, after putting a deposit for Model Y, and was told exactly the same thing. I want to get a configuration that came out to just under 55k, like $54,990, and they said MSRP includes the destination and docs fees. All of my searches on definitions of MSRP online say otherwise. Not sure what to do either...

This is concerning. I can't seem to get a proper ruling on MSRP calculation from Tesla or otherwise. To be safe I am just downgrading to the Gemini wheels so if destination fee is added into MSRP (for some odd reason), I will still quality. $54,990 -> $52,990 without the premium 20" wheels. Suppose I will just order them or other aftermarket wheels after delivery.

in NY it's under 60k, and yes the rebate has to be deducted at time of sale from what i read. but the rebate is only 2k <sigh>
Unfortunately, the $2K Drive Clean Rebate comes off after the sales tax. I found this after purchasing my Bolt in 2017.

There were rumors that NY would 1099 everyone on the $2k POS rebate, but that never happened. It was also rumored that you had to keep the car for 3 yrs... don't know if that's true.

Unfortunately, the $2K Drive Clean Rebate comes off after the sales tax. I found this after purchasing my Bolt in 2017.

There were rumors that NY would 1099 everyone on the $2k POS rebate, but that never happened. It was also rumored that you had to keep the car for 3 yrs... don't know if that's true.
thanks. i plan on keeping this one a long time so that's no problem, and as for it coming off after the sales tax, of course it does, the government doesn't want to screw itself, only us

Reactions: NY_Rob
After getting an unsatisfactory response from the short hills mall nj Tesla manager on MSRP .... I then posed the question to Tesla via Tesla online support for clarity on the ni $5k rebate... and whether MSRP includes delivery & dmv fees. It’s been a week. No response.

The configuration now shows a $5k discount for my order. Guess Tesla monitors this thread?
If you configure the dual motor and get options that bring it over 55k, it still shows the 5k incentive. If you choose the performance , it does not. I’m hoping that means that the base config is the msrp, and wheels/paint etc can be configured above the threshold. This could very well just be a bug, but of msrp is before certain configs, that would be pretty cool

Where do you see that? Mine doesn’t ...could you post a screen shot?
upload_2020-2-15_13-13-43.jpeg