Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ 5K rebate ends on 12/15 *bad news*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several people are reporting their dealers said the vehicle just has to be ordered by 12/15. Any way to confirm whether this is true, or if it has to be actually delivered by then?
Well it says ‘purchase or lease’ by 12/15, which to me implies delivery taken and car paid for. I’m really irritated about this. Going to contact my reps and state Senator. Should have been more than a days notice.

That blows, I took delivery about 3 weeks ago and literally sweated something like this happening until the day I took delivery. Every states budget is hurting this year and while I'm not shocked it's dissapointing for ppl taking delivery soon. The y is still an amazing car but yes I probably would have more heavily considered a used s or x had the rebate not been a factor then.

Several people are reporting their dealers said the vehicle just has to be ordered by 12/15. Any way to confirm whether this is true, or if it has to be actually delivered by then?

I got the same response it is based on the order date from two Tesla stores and one via email. I have emailed the program coordinator with the same question, I hope it come out to be true, keep the faith !!!

I hope that is true but it could also be stores pushing year end deliveries since they know some will back out if it’s past the cutoff

If I was a betting man I’d agree that Tesla would say or do anything to get people to take delivery by the end of the year and that includes telling NJ. customers that if they order by today they can still qualify for the $5000 rebate. I hope I’m wrong but Tesla does have some shady practices when it comes to customer service and sales. Good luck to anyone who might be affected. I do say that if anyone can wait until next summer when Phase 2 kicks in will save $5000 off the price at time of sale as opposed to having to file an application etc. Also there’s all the upgrades and changes that are bound to come between now and then. That being said I know a little something about needing immediate gratification. I ordered on 9/10 and took delivery on 9/30 when initially I was going to put it off until mid November. But a VIN came up and it had very few minor issues upon inspection and I jumped in. It’s hard to delay taking delivery of these awesome vehicles. Just wish Tesla would get better at treating their customer with more respect and enduring better quality control.

That blows, I took delivery about 3 weeks ago and literally sweated something like this happening until the day I took delivery. Every states budget is hurting this year and while I'm not shocked it's dissapointing for ppl taking delivery soon. The y is still an amazing car but yes I probably would have more heavily considered a used s or x had the rebate not been a factor then.

Same boat here. I took delivery about a month ago and had the exact same concerns on COVID affect on the state budget. I initially delayed my purchase until I was relatively comfortable funds would be there in October - and I had the 'out' that if they were not there, I would only lose the $100 deposit.

I am glad my VIN and delivery came relatively early. Just now waiting on the rebate acceptance and check - and hoping to get that soon. I applied one month ago as of today or tomorrow.

Found this on chargeup.njcleanenergy.com
  • A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the 'accepted by customer' date or the 'order date' of the vehicle will be considered the date of purchase or lease. If the Retail Installment Sales Contract (RISC) lists a date after 12/15/20, then we will require a vehicle configuration page as supplemental documentation.

Few more hours left to order to be eligible for the 5K rebate, hurry up NJ folks! The only reason I bought Y (in Sep) is because of the incentive + no sales tax. I met many future Tesla owners asking about the MY and the rebate in the parking lots, hopefully, they either found their MY or placed ordered. I was told that the 2020 budget is depleted already (mostly used by Tesla owners). The next update will be around the end of summer 2021 where the incentive will be included during the point of sale of the vehicles (not sure how that looks like). I don't expect the $500 infrastructure rebate will be launched this year :(

Few more hours left to order to be eligible for the 5K rebate, hurry up NJ folks! The only reason I bought Y (in Sep) is because of the incentive + no sales tax. I met many future Tesla owners asking about the MY and the rebate in the parking lots, hopefully, they either found their MY or placed ordered. I was told that the 2020 budget is depleted already (mostly used by Tesla owners). The next update will be around the end of summer 2021 where the incentive will be included during the point of sale of the vehicles (not sure how that looks like). I don't expect the $500 infrastructure rebate will be launched this year :(

Same here! We were going to get a BMW m340x but no sales tax and $5000k rebate were too good to pass up! We were going to wait but with budget cuts, who knew what would happen and we are glad we got the car in Sept. Got an email saying the check was mailed so woohooo!!!

Reactions: hakunamattata

Took my chances and placed my order yesterday when things were still chaotic. My bet is in the next round the incentive will not be $5000, I think it will be lower if the state wants to meet the target of 330,000 EV's on the road by 2025. We may get the Federal rebate back but I think that will be in 2022/2023, just my two cents

O man, I was planning on ordering and possibly take delivery by end of the year, now all bets are off. Such a short notice, if we were given say a week heads up, I most likely would have pulled the trigger. Now.....

if you hold off until funding is approved for Phase 2 you’ll like get a bunch of upgrades etc. That’s looking at it from the bright side. It’s tough to delay getting these vehicles but $5000 is a lot to leave on the table. I’m lucky I purchased in September and actually received my check on Monday. I don’t think I could buy it knowing I was losing $5000 cash back. It was a big part of my financial decision to purchase it. It sucks that NJ gave 1 days notice.

Reactions: MrWattson
I did not "need" to get a new car when I ordered my MY. What drove me to buy now was the $5K and no sales tax - which I feared would not be there when needed a car in another 12-24 months. What is really poor is that the deal was pulled with one-day's notice. I understand the budget challenges the state is experiencing but it looks bad when pulled what was effectively 'immediately."