Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ ChargeUp Rebate Response

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I emailed NJ ChargeUp Rebate and got this response based on my question.

Posting both question and answer for transparency. This in regards to preordering the Tesla before 7/1/21.

QUESTION

I just have a quick question that I bet has been asked a lot and that is preordering an EV for production prior to phase 2 beginning.

Will the point of sale reduction be a part of cost if the car is preordered this month but delivered after phase 2 begins?

It states in the FAQ - delivery date / leasing but nothing about preorders and preorder deposits.

Any clarity on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ANSWER

Thank you for your email and interest in Charge Up New Jersey. The Point-of-Sale Program, which will provide an incentive at the time of purchase, is expected to launch at eligible dealerships and showrooms with renewed funding at the start of the State's next Fiscal Year in summer 2021 pending Board approval of this timing and approval of the FY2022 Budget.

The order and purchase/lease date will need to be on or after July 1, 2021 to be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Orders before July 1st will not be considered as eligible. Please note that program details such as incentive amounts, eligible vehicles and MSRP cap are still subject to change and have not been finalized yet.

Please continue to check our website for further updates.

All this and more information can be found here:
Board of Public Utilities | Newsroom<br />& Public Notices
Home | Charge Up New Jersey

Thank you for investing in clean vehicle technology!

Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
That’s a shame. Looks like anyone with an order now regardless of delivery date won’t get the rebate. It’s not the end of the world of course, but why spend 5K more. Or, I guess 3.5K given the price changes over the last month.

We’re still happy to get the car earlier given the state of our current vehicle. If anyone with my same configuration delivering to Springfield ends up canceling to re-order for the credit I’ll gladly take the car 😆. Really hoping for delivery before June 20th because of travel plans.

That's a bummer! "Please note that program details such as incentive amounts, eligible vehicles and MSRP cap are still subject to change and have not been finalized yet." this is surely a huge concern, rebate amount may be capped at a lower amount, what if the MSRP cap be reduced under $50K? No sales tax in itself a good saving.

ez, if you ordered before july 1 and it arrives on or after july 1 you go to the tesla dealership and you decline delivery. then wait a few minutes for them to update the system. maybe this removes your name completely from the car (both person who ordered and is reserved for) but the car now goes up for sale first come first serve at the dealership. then while you're there maybe you say hey i wanna buy this car :p

That’s a shame. Looks like anyone with an order now regardless of delivery date won’t get the rebate. It’s not the end of the world of course, but why spend 5K more. Or, I guess 3.5K given the price changes over the last month.

We’re still happy to get the car earlier given the state of our current vehicle. If anyone with my same configuration delivering to Springfield ends up canceling to re-order for the credit I’ll gladly take the car 😆. Really hoping for delivery before June 20th because of travel plans.
I submitted my comments to the BPU that the rebate should be for EV's purchased on or after 7/1 regardless of order date. I emphasized that a buyer cannot simply walk into a Tesla showroom and buy off the lot as there is no inventory. Advance ordering is the only way. My present vehicle is off lease on 7/31. If I wait until 7/1, I may not have an EV until Sept - Oct. This is not a good stipulation! Order data should not be relevant! What are these bureaucrats thinking??

I submitted my comments to the BPU that the rebate should be for EV's purchased on or after 7/1 regardless of order date. I emphasized that a buyer cannot simply walk into a Tesla showroom and buy off the lot as there is no inventory. Advance ordering is the only way. My present vehicle is off lease on 7/31. If I wait until 7/1, I may not have an EV until Sept - Oct. This is not a good stipulation! Order data should not be relevant! What are these bureaucrats thinking??
The more I think about it, it would be very reliant on Tesla providing them the order date. I don't know how else they would get that info. My hope is it ends up delivery/purchase date dependant.

The more I think about it, it would be very reliant on Tesla providing them the order date. I don't know how else they would get that info. My hope is it ends up delivery/purchase date dependant.
Most programs like this use the "In Service Date" as the official qualifier.
Rebate programs will most likely go that route even with the current confusion in some threads.
The reason, the only date which cannot be fake. Order dates, who knows when every actual date really happened.

I just got a call from Tesla @ Princeton and they said that their corporate group are in talks with the BPU and they confirmed that for Tesla both, the order and execution of the contract, need to happen after the start date to be eligible. They said that the BPU is familair with the Tesla ordering process so they are making sure that both are after the start date. In the budget for the next FY, on page 152, it also says that:
www .nj. gov /bpu/pdf/boardorders/2021/20210624/8B%20ORDER%20CEP%20FY2022%20Budget.pdf

FY22 Charge Up New Jersey Compliance Filing3.Acknowledge that the entirety of the purchase or lease for an eligible vehicle must occur on or after the official launch of Phase Two, the Point-of -Sale Program, and in the State of New Jersey at a participating dealership or showroom.
a.Vehicles ordered in advance of the launch of Phase Two, Point-of -Sale Program will not be eligible for an incentive.

I just got a call from Tesla @ Princeton and they said that their corporate group are in talks with the BPU and they confirmed that for Tesla both, the order and execution of the contract, need to happen after the start date to be eligible. They said that the BPU is familair with the Tesla ordering process so they are making sure that both are after the start date. In the budget for the next FY, on page 152, it also says that:
www .nj. gov /bpu/pdf/boardorders/2021/20210624/8B%20ORDER%20CEP%20FY2022%20Budget.pdf

FY22 Charge Up New Jersey Compliance Filing3.Acknowledge that the entirety of the purchase or lease for an eligible vehicle must occur on or after the official launch of Phase Two, the Point-of -Sale Program, and in the State of New Jersey at a participating dealership or showroom.
a.Vehicles ordered in advance of the launch of Phase Two, Point-of -Sale Program will not be eligible for an incentive.
Does it mean that an order placed on July 1, 2021 must qualify in NJ?
Still not real clear on when to act.

Make a change to your order and call to see if it will actually change the order date? if so, In a few days, change it back to what you wanted originally and wait.
if it doesn’t change the date, just place a new order in a couple of days? When did you place your original order?
Good luck, I hope this works out for you!

So I emailed NJ ChargeUp Rebate and got this response based on my question.

Posting both question and answer for transparency. This in regards to preordering the Tesla before 7/1/21.

QUESTION

I just have a quick question that I bet has been asked a lot and that is preordering an EV for production prior to phase 2 beginning.

Will the point of sale reduction be a part of cost if the car is preordered this month but delivered after phase 2 begins?

It states in the FAQ - delivery date / leasing but nothing about preorders and preorder deposits.

Any clarity on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ANSWER

Thank you for your email and interest in Charge Up New Jersey. The Point-of-Sale Program, which will provide an incentive at the time of purchase, is expected to launch at eligible dealerships and showrooms with renewed funding at the start of the State's next Fiscal Year in summer 2021 pending Board approval of this timing and approval of the FY2022 Budget.

The order and purchase/lease date will need to be on or after July 1, 2021 to be eligible for the point-of-sale incentive through participating dealerships. Orders before July 1st will not be considered as eligible. Please note that program details such as incentive amounts, eligible vehicles and MSRP cap are still subject to change and have not been finalized yet.

Please continue to check our website for further updates.

All this and more information can be found here:
Board of Public Utilities | Newsroom<br />& Public Notices
Home | Charge Up New Jersey

Thank you for investing in clean vehicle technology!
Phase 2 incentive program went into effect today, July 6th. EV cars with MSRP less than $45 K will get upto $5K point of sale incentive and cars with MSRP between $45 and $55K will get a maximum incentive of $3k.

What a Joke NJ really is.. a rear wheel short range qualifies for the $5k rebate, I guess I'm staying home in inclement weather like state employees and not accounting for the increases.. if you want M3 or MY performance does not qualify since the increase took it over the $55k threshold. $2k a slap in the face for NJ EV buyers.. $7,500 from Federal is not bad.. but debatable if worth splurging for all electric vehicles.

What a Joke NJ really is.. a rear wheel short range qualifies for the $5k rebate, I guess I'm staying home in inclement weather like state employees and not accounting for the increases.. if you want M3 or MY performance does not qualify since the increase took it over the $55k threshold. $2k a slap in the face for NJ EV buyers.. $7,500 from Federal is not bad.. but debatable if worth splurging for all electric vehicles.
It’s better than what PA offers and no sales tax. It’s better than nothing and definitely not a joke.

Reactions: mc02