Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ Delivery Postponed Indefinitely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my NJ delivery....Today I was told that my Model Y is on site and being stored indoors until I'm able to take delivery. Still no date set with the current restrictions in NJ. I have not seen or heard of any deliveries (home or pickup) taking place in NJ right now.

Same in south eastern PA. I texted the guy at my delivery center and he said touchless wasn't even on their radar.

I just got a call from my local delivery center (after I texted and asked for an update again). The rep I spoke with was very nice, and gave me some info. He said the major hold up in PA is that the DMV is closed with no online option for issuing tags. He also said they (Tesla) are unable to issue the temporary tags in our state. The delivery center was trained on touchless delivery, so they are ready to go once the DMV opens back up. They have a company call scheduled for this Wednesday which will give them an update on what the DMV's decision is to re-open, or open up some form of online processing. The rep said he does not have high hopes for them to open up in any form though. He also said they are sitting on about 200 cars waiting to be delivered (not all Y's, just in general), so he suspects if they can't get access to the DMV, and touchless deliveries aren't possible, all of Q2 (whenever things do eventually open back up) will be just deliveries back to back as many as they can cram into a day.

Might be a similar situation for NJ.

I just got a call from my local delivery center (after I texted and asked for an update again). The rep I spoke with was very nice, and gave me some info. He said the major hold up in PA is that the DMV is closed with no online option for issuing tags. He also said they (Tesla) are unable to issue the temporary tags in our state. The delivery center was trained on touchless delivery, so they are ready to go once the DMV opens back up. They have a company call scheduled for this Wednesday which will give them an update on what the DMV's decision is to re-open, or open up some form of online processing. The rep said he does not have high hopes for them to open up in any form though. He also said they are sitting on about 200 cars waiting to be delivered (not all Y's, just in general), so he suspects if they can't get access to the DMV, and touchless deliveries aren't possible, all of Q2 (whenever things do eventually open back up) will be just deliveries back to back as many as they can cram into a day.

Might be a similar situation for NJ.
DMV in NJ is handling some services online. NJ Motor Vehicle Commission

As mentioned by @DriveEV this could be why Carvana is able to do touchless deliveries.

I just got a call from Tesla from 774 number (Southbridge, MA). The advisor I spoke with asked if I was ok with Contact less delivery. I said yes. She didn't give me a time-frame for delivery. She said they are still waiting to get the ok from the state and they are confirming with NJ folks with pending deliveries in the meantime.

DMV in NJ is handling some services online. NJ Motor Vehicle Commission

As mentioned by @DriveEV this could be why Carvana is able to do touchless deliveries.

I just got a call from Tesla from 774 number (Southbridge, MA). The advisor I spoke with asked if I was ok with Contact less delivery. I said yes. She didn't give me a time-frame for delivery. She said they are still waiting to get the ok from the state and they are confirming with NJ folks with pending deliveries in the meantime.

I'll bet your delivery center is waiting for that same Tesla company wide call on Wednesday for confirmation on whether they can start the deliveries. I'd check back sometime on Wednesday if you don't here anything.

Reactions: vinny84
Sometimes Tesla does things in weird ways.

I can tell you that other New Jersey dealers have no issues selling and delivering cars even when the showroom is closed to customers. My brother took delivery of a new Honda Accord from Madison Honda this morning. It was all arranged via email, phone and Fedex since last Wednesday. He already knew exactly what he wanted and did not need to take a test drive, they had it in stock, and both new and used car dealers keep a supply of temp tags on hand. Customers walk into dealers all the time and drive away with a new car 2 or 3 hours later. Nothing unusual about that.

Sometimes Tesla does things in weird ways.

I can tell you that other New Jersey dealers have no issues selling and delivering cars even when the showroom is closed to customers. My brother took delivery of a new Honda Accord from Madison Honda this morning. It was all arranged via email, phone and Fedex since last Wednesday. He already knew exactly what he wanted and did not need to take a test drive, they had it in stock, and both new and used car dealers keep a supply of temp tags on hand. Customers walk into dealers all the time and drive away with a new car 2 or 3 hours later. Nothing unusual about that.

The difference is when Tesla does that, it becomes top news that they’re not following the state’s order. Any ice dealership gets away with it.