Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ EV Rebate in Danger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys, just a heads up. It looks like the EV rebate here in jersey is in jeopardy. This is typical jersey politics. It’s a corrupt mafia run state. The state is broke and is blaming COVID 19 instead of two decades of corrupt money management. I hope things work out in the end because it’s a nice program that will get more EVs on the road. You would think with all of the taxes we pay here they would throw us a bone and keep a nice program. But not looking good.

Here is the story.

NJ electric vehicle rebate in danger because of COVID-19 budget woes

I doubt it. They are upping the gas tax and raised toll rates to ridiculous amounts. Jersey....

No choice on the gas tax. When Christie did the sales tax / gas tax sleight of hand, the law was written to require an increase based on the trust fund shortfalls. Murphy has no say in it. I have wondered if there is a surplus whether they have to lower it:p

So I had been approved for the 5K rebate back on July 21st. I received a confirmation email stating that I would receive an email informing me the day my rebate would get mailed out. Fast forward to a month later, no communication regarding the rebate was received so I emailed the charge up program. Received a response stating that they were behind but will keep me informed of any updates. Another month has passed by and still I had received nothing. One of the reasons I decided to go electric is because of the incentives that NJ had to offer but I have yet to receive it. Is anyone else experiencing a "delay" in getting the NJ EV rebate after already having been approved?

I only filed a couple weeks ago, but haven't heard anything from them. Other than two original emails.

The first starts with:
Thank you for applying to the Charge Up New Jersey Incentive. We are pleased to inform you that we have reserved an incentive amount of $5,000.00 for the following vehicle:

The second:
Thank you for submitting your Charge Up New Jersey Incentive application. We will now begin our review process of the documents for completeness and accuracy. Your application number is NJ-000XXXX.

Once we have reviewed your supporting documents, you will receive an email regarding the status of your application. If we find an issue with your supporting documents, you will have 14 calendar days to correct the issue before automatic cancellation. If your application is cancelled, you will need to reapply.

I haven't gotten that status email. Hopefully that means my stuff was OK, but who knows. I'm kind of waiting to get that before buying FSD. Not sure I'll spring the 8K if I don't.

I only filed a couple weeks ago, but haven't heard anything from them. Other than two original emails.

The first starts with:
Thank you for applying to the Charge Up New Jersey Incentive. We are pleased to inform you that we have reserved an incentive amount of $5,000.00 for the following vehicle:

The second:
Thank you for submitting your Charge Up New Jersey Incentive application. We will now begin our review process of the documents for completeness and accuracy. Your application number is NJ-000XXXX.

Once we have reviewed your supporting documents, you will receive an email regarding the status of your application. If we find an issue with your supporting documents, you will have 14 calendar days to correct the issue before automatic cancellation. If your application is cancelled, you will need to reapply.

I haven't gotten that status email. Hopefully that means my stuff was OK, but who knows. I'm kind of waiting to get that before buying FSD. Not sure I'll spring the 8K if I don't.

Hey don't mean to be Debbie downer but I think you are going to wait a while before you hear anything.
The confirmation email I got back in July stated:
"Congratulations! Your Charge Up New Jersey Incentive application has been approved for you Tesla Model Y for $5,000. We typically issue checks within 30 days of application approval. You will receive an email once your check has been placed in the mail. Delays beyond normal processing times may occur."

Fast forward to August 24th, I emailed them back inquiring about the rebate and got this response:
"Thank you for your email. Currently, we are experiencing delays beyond our normal processing times. We apologize about the inconvenience. You will receive an email once the check is placed in the mail. We thank you for your patience."

Another month has passed by and still nothing. I emailed them again today and awaiting another response. I too wanted to use the rebate to upgrade to FSD.

Hey don't mean to be Debbie downer but I think you are going to wait a while before you hear anything.
The confirmation email I got back in July stated:
"Congratulations! Your Charge Up New Jersey Incentive application has been approved for you Tesla Model Y for $5,000. We typically issue checks within 30 days of application approval. You will receive an email once your check has been placed in the mail. Delays beyond normal processing times may occur."

Fast forward to August 24th, I emailed them back inquiring about the rebate and got this response:
"Thank you for your email. Currently, we are experiencing delays beyond our normal processing times. We apologize about the inconvenience. You will receive an email once the check is placed in the mail. We thank you for your patience."

Another month has passed by and still nothing. I emailed them again today and awaiting another response. I too wanted to use the rebate to upgrade to FSD.
Yeah, not even having the acceptance email, I guess I have quite a while if I ever get it after the budget cuts

So I had been approved for the 5K rebate back on July 21st. I received a confirmation email stating that I would receive an email informing me the day my rebate would get mailed out. Fast forward to a month later, no communication regarding the rebate was received so I emailed the charge up program. Received a response stating that they were behind but will keep me informed of any updates. Another month has passed by and still I had received nothing. One of the reasons I decided to go electric is because of the incentives that NJ had to offer but I have yet to receive it. Is anyone else experiencing a "delay" in getting the NJ EV rebate after already having been approved?

I have almost the exact same story as you. Got my “You’re Approved” email on July 23rd, so two days after you. Email said it would be 30 days. Haven’t heard anything since.

It’s very frustrating to say the least. Can they really withhold payments if the program was already signed into law back in January?