Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ EV Vehicle Rebate Budget Cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the home charging rebate likely to be retroactive to an extent? Since I received my VIN this week, I went ahead and ordered the home charger. I saw that the website said 'coming' but little else. That being said, I could not wait longer.

They've been cagey about it, which makes me think "no"... but the federal credit certainly will apply.

We got the model Y on 9/19 and applied for the rebate a day or two later. Just got an approval email yesterday on 10/22. From what I hear, it'll take a month or two to get the check once approved. Now we are just waiting for $500 charging station rebate info to come out...

Had the same experiance. Took delivery on the 18th, applied on the 21st. Got the approval email today with a 30day wait time for the check.

A salesman informed me yesterday that the NJ EV rebate program is ending on 12/15/2020, yes 3 days from now, and a broker later confirmed. I cannot find any info on it (it did take me to this thread. Just a heads up, especially to those of you waiting to pickup your car soon.

A salesman informed me yesterday that the NJ EV rebate program is ending on 12/15/2020, yes 3 days from now, and a broker later confirmed. I cannot find any info on it (it did take me to this thread. Just a heads up, especially to those of you waiting to pickup your car soon.

Whomever told you that either has some extremely top secret information, or is making stuff up. What’s a “salesman” and a “broker”? Are they Tesla staff?

It’s a 10-year program written into state law. Not going anywhere.

Nonsense like this have been around since the program started, pushed primarily by people who have a financial incentive to see EVs fail.

Whomever told you that either has some extremely top secret information, or is making stuff up. What’s a “salesman” and a “broker”? Are they Tesla staff?

Nonsense like this have been around since the program started, pushed primarily by people who have a financial incentive to see EVs fail.
Either of them will not get my business if it turns out to be true, so why would they make it up?

Those of you waiting for delivery soon, I would ask your Tesla rep to see if he/she can confirm.

This is what my Tesla rep told me a at the end of October before I placed my order on a 2021:
"I don't happen to have any further information regarding the rebate, as it is reimbursed through the state. What I can say is, is that it is not a guaranteed rebate - should the funds be depleted you would be SOL at that point. This is their second round of refunding the program after budget cuts due to COVID."

Either of them will not get my business if it turns out to be true, so why would they make it up?

Those of you waiting for delivery soon, I would ask your Tesla rep to see if he/she can confirm.

This is what my Tesla rep told me a at the end of October before I placed my order on a 2021:
"I don't happen to have any further information regarding the rebate, as it is reimbursed through the state. What I can say is, is that it is not a guaranteed rebate - should the funds be depleted you would be SOL at that point. This is their second round of refunding the program after budget cuts due to COVID."

There are plenty of folks who want to see EVs fail, and who trade in gossip. None of that surprises me.

As for refunding the program, that’s 100% normal. There have been no budget cuts. The program is funded by state budget annually. NOT ONE PERSON has been denied a rebate due to budget. Not one. At all. Ever.

There are plenty of folks who want to see EVs fail, and who trade in gossip. None of that surprises me.

As for refunding the program, that’s 100% normal. There have been no budget cuts. The program is funded by state budget annually. NOT ONE PERSON has been denied a rebate due to budget. Not one. At all. Ever.
Why are some of you so quick to spew conspiracy theories? The broker who confirmed it, much his business is dependent upon the NJ EV rebate program, so if it's true it effectively puts him out of business.

We will find out soon won't we. I hope it's false, I really do, and I'll gladly eat the words I typed here. This was mainly a heads up to those of you awaiting delivery. It does not hurt to ask your Tesla rep about it.

It is questionable because there are zero announcements or news from the folks who actively follow and report on it - and the program was just refunded with new fiscal year.

The odds of the funding being pulled with 3 days notice and no legislative discussion are very unlikely. Saying they will be pulled without evidence falls more directly into the conspiracy theory realm. Not you..but whomever is telling you that.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Why are some of you so quick to spew conspiracy theories? The broker who confirmed it, much his business is dependent upon the NJ EV rebate program, so if it's true it effectively puts him out of business.

We will find out soon won't we. I hope it's false, I really do, and I'll gladly eat the words I typed here. This was mainly a heads up to those of you awaiting delivery. It does not hurt to ask your Tesla rep about it.

I apologize if I'm coming off snarky, but it's because I'm plugged in to plenty of people who would know such a thing. It's not a "conspiracy theory" - but I've got a deep allergy to BS. And I don't mean this to sound arrogant - it's not that at all - but there's nothing a Tesla rep would know more about this than you or I do. If some memo came out or whatever to the reps, it'd be posted on electrek so fast Starlink couldn't even handle it.

And if my folks that talk to the Assembly on an almost daily basis haven't heard a peep about such a monumental shift in policy, I doubt a random sales rep would know any more than they do.

The "but the salesman said ..." thing has gone on since Ugg the Caveman.... has nothing to do with EVs or you personally, of course! Just that rumors spread faster than wildfire, and I really don't want to spend the next 6 months cleaning up behind rumors that never actually happen.

All that said -- if something crazy happens and funding gets pulled, believe me, I'm more than good for my apology and eating some crow. I've developed a taste for crow - preferably with a little ketchup on top. ;-)

Last edited:

I agree 100% this program is not going anywhere without proper legislative procedures and public notification. The plan was to fund this program $30 million per year. Due to COVID when they readjusted the fiscal year to align with the state budget they pulled back $16 million for Fiscal Year 2020. However Fiscal Year 2021 (October 2020 to September 2021) was funded at $50 million.You can look through some of the press releases by NJBPU for all the details on the funding. I might have posted the links in Model 3 forum about the same.

I think Tesla staff and the broker are confusing with Phase 2 implementation i.e. Cash On the hood, which meant you will get $5000 off right at the time of the sale and no need to apply for a rebate and wait. ChargeUP NJ was planning to have this implemented in late 2020 and I am suspecting that is what is happening on Dec 15. Even if they start the Point of Sale rebate there is still a 90 day grace period wherein you can apply using the manual process

I apologize if I'm coming off snarky, but it's because I'm plugged in to plenty of people who would know such a thing. It's not a "conspiracy theory" - but I've got a deep allergy to BS. And I don't mean this to sound arrogant - it's not that at all - but there's nothing a Tesla rep would know more about this than you or I do. If some memo came out or whatever to the reps, it'd be posted on electrek so fast Starlink couldn't even handle it.

And if my folks that talk to the Assembly on an almost daily basis haven't heard a peep about such a monumental shift in policy, I doubt a random sales rep would know any more than they do.

The "but the salesman said ..." thing has gone on since Ugg the Caveman.... has nothing to do with EVs or you personally, of course! Just that rumors spread faster than wildfire, and I really don't want to spend the next 6 months cleaning up behind rumors that never actually happen.

All that said -- if something crazy happens and funding gets pulled, believe me, I'm more than good for my apology and eating some crow. I've developed a taste for crow - preferably with a little ketchup on top. ;-)
Fair enough.

The broker told me that the state sent out the notice to NJ dealerships late yesterday. I imagine someone in the know will confirm later today if it's for real.

Due to COVID when they readjusted the fiscal year to align with the state budget they pulled back $16 million for Fiscal Year 2020. However Fiscal Year 2021 (October 2020 to September 2021) was funded at $50 million.

And just to be 100% clear about it -- even with that funding pullback for FY20, not one rebate was denied. Nobody lost out because of it, just maybe had to wait a few weeks... but everyone that submitted a valid application has gotten (or is getting) paid for it.

I agree 100% this program is not going anywhere without proper legislative procedures and public notification. The plan was to fund this program $30 million per year. Due to COVID when they readjusted the fiscal year to align with the state budget they pulled back $16 million for Fiscal Year 2020. However Fiscal Year 2021 (October 2020 to September 2021) was funded at $50 million.You can look through some of the press releases by NJBPU for all the details on the funding. I might have posted the links in Model 3 forum about the same.

I think Tesla staff and the broker are confusing with Phase 2 implementation i.e. Cash On the hood, which meant you will get $5000 off right at the time of the sale and no need to apply for a rebate and wait. ChargeUP NJ was planning to have this implemented in late 2020 and I am suspecting that is what is happening on Dec 15. Even if they start the Point of Sale rebate there is still a 90 day grace period wherein you can apply using the manual process
I certainly hope that is the case. At the same time though, I think being a cash on the hood program will allow "traditional" dealerships to pocket some of it.

I certainly hope that is the case. At the same time though, I think being a cash on the hood program will allow "traditional" dealerships to pocket some of it.

I agree! I actually like the rebate model. It means less financial engineering on the dealership's part - and puts the cash right in your pocket.

Also helps folks who are financing their vehicle - you can, say, put $5000 down on the vehicle, finance the rest, and still get a $5000 check back pretty quickly. Obviously that means you're paying interest on the $5k but at the current interest rates - 2% or so -- sometimes having $5k in the bank is worth more to you. (I just calculated it - it's $258 in interest on a 60-month 2% loan... is that worth having $5k in the bank right now? Depends on the situation ...)

Here is another data point for those waiting on rebate checks. Applied for my rebate on 9/5, approved early October and just got a email n 12/9 saying checks is being cut. So looking at just over 90 days from application assuming I the check comes within a week or so.

It's official - vehicles must be purchased by 12/15/2020 to get the rebate. It's funny because I received a response from Chargeup just now saying that they're still processing submission, when I asked whether it's ending on 12/15. I'm guessing they didn't even bother to check their own site before they replied to me.

Home | Charge Up New Jersey

If you have not taken delivery of your Tesla yet, you have one more day to take delivery to qualify for the $5k rebate.

• Informative
It's official - vehicles must be purchased by 12/15/2020 to get the rebate. It's funny because I received a response from Chargeup just now saying that they're still processing submission, when I asked whether it's ending on 12/15. I'm guessing they didn't even bother to check their own site before they replied to me.

Home | Charge Up New Jersey

If you have not taken delivery of your Tesla yet, you have one more day to take delivery to qualify for the $5k rebate.

As I said, I owe you a massive apology. I prefer my crow on the medium rare side, if you would be so kind.

I’m still shocked that nobody in my “circle” got wind of this ... they’re usually in position to know. We have folks that advocate for EVs and clean air with the state legislature - and I’m amazed they didn’t see it either.

Good news that (at least they claim?) it’s because of budget exhaustion instead of a pullback I guess. And the program continues - just either have to wait for FY22 (July 1) or someone convinces the state to increase funding.

Reactions: solar3