Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ EV Vehicle Rebate Budget Cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys know to meet the deadline of 12/15/2020, does it mean you have to take delivery, or sign a contract by 12/15/2020 but take delivery at a later date and still qualify? I asked ChargeUp that question 2 times and haven't gotten an answer to it. I thought I'd read the verbiage somewhere (before they decided to end it on 12/15/2020) that they count the delivery date.

This is crazy! Glad we got our Model Y in Sept and the check was mailed last week finally.

My question is, if you get the car after Dec 15, 2020 and apply for the rebate, does it automatically go into FY2022 funding? or you have to apply after July 1? or SOL?

Do you guys know to meet the deadline of 12/15/2020, does it mean you have to take delivery, or sign a contract by 12/15/2020 but take delivery at a later date and still qualify? I asked ChargeUp that question 2 times and haven't gotten an answer to it. I thought I'd read the verbiage somewhere (before they decided to end it on 12/15/2020) that they count the delivery date.

It sounds like you need to take delivery on or before Dec. 15 to get the rebate. I'm sure they will go by the purchase date and not the date you order the car. Unless Tesla will give the MVPA with Dec. 15 date on it..

It sounds like you need to take delivery on or before Dec. 15 to get the rebate. I'm sure they will go by the purchase date and not the date you order the car. Unless Tesla will give the MVPA with Dec. 15 date on it..

Yes they go by your vehicle purchase/lease contract date i.e. delivery date. Really surprised to see that they hit budget really that quickly i.e. 6000 vehicles this year

This is confirmed by our sales rep in Springfield NJ. They are scrambling to figure this out since they are expecting a load of orders coming in next week, which will miss the cut-off date of Dec 15th. Waiting to hear back with more information tomorrow from my dealer. Question, do you think it's wise advising the rep to sign the lease papers tomorrow without officially receiving the vehicle just to get in before the cut-off, and then accept the vehicle the following week?

This is confirmed by our sales rep in Springfield NJ. They are scrambling to figure this out since they are expecting a load of orders coming in next week, which will miss the cut-off date of Dec 15th. Waiting to hear back with more information tomorrow from my dealer. Question, do you think it's wise advising the rep to sign the lease papers tomorrow without officially receiving the vehicle just to get in before the cut-off, and then accept the vehicle the following week?

I took my chances and placed the order, got a VIN assigned right away (I hope it is not a reject) & signed the lease terms online. I am still better off compared to my existing ICE lease, if I get the rebate it is will be a bonus.

With a Tesla lease you sign everything electronically, I believe the only thing you sign in-person is delivery papers i.e. registration, car condition etc.

Yes they go by your vehicle purchase/lease contract date i.e. delivery date. Really surprised to see that they hit budget really that quickly i.e. 6000 vehicles this year

Someone in my Tesla group said that for Tesla, and only Tesla, they will allow order dates up to 12/15, not delivery dates.
I can’t verify that, but it’s a hopeful sign. I’d give them a call ASAP and see what they say!

Reactions: hakunamattata
I think the key sentence in the program requirements is "purchase/lease agreement dated between January 17, 2020 and December 15, 2020" with a focus on "purchase/lease agreement". I was looking at my motor vehicle purchase agreement which my financing bank requested and it lists the day I ordered the car as the purchase date. If that is the requirement that is needed, and it is a purchase agreement, then we should all be safe.

I concur. I spoke with two reps today at Tesla and they told me since my order was placed before Dec 15th, I would qualify. I asked for official documentation stating this but they could not provide, just that they would "assure" me. I told them I cannot bet $5K on a verbal assurance. Just because you "placed an order" with a $100 deposit, the program clearly states: "Vehicles must be purchased or leased by December 15, 2020." So that would mean that you need to complete and sign a purchase or lease contract by that date to qualify, not "order" it. After stating this, the rep said that is all the information they can provide me. I did receive my VIN, so perhaps I should just sign the lease documents online and take the chance like hakunamattata.

If NJ's fiscal year 2021 begins in October of 2020, are we not already under next years level of funding. Someone above had mentioned $50 Million in fiscal year 2021 to compensate for a diminishing of the 2020 funding amount. If the $16 Million had been depleted as of 12/15 as with any government or corporation, there is juggling budget wise at year or fiscal year end, but normalcy returns in the new year.

Upon reviewing the Program Eligibility terms of the New Jersey Charge Up Incentive Program, the following is required to be submitted to the state of NJ to qualify for the $5000 EV rebate that expires the end of today Dec 15, 2020.

Purchase or lease an eligible vehicle in the State of New Jersey between January 17, 2020 and December 15, 2020. Dates subject to change each fiscal year based on available funding.
  • A vehicle purchased or leased or delivered out-of-state is not eligible for the incentive, including vehicles ordered online and delivered outside of the State.
  • A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the date of vehicle registration will be considered the date of purchase or lease.
  • Applicants must receive their vehicle before applying. Applications received before the vehicle is delivered to the applicant will be rejected, and applicants will then need to reapply post-delivery.
I spoke with our advisor about this and he said they received confirmation from the home office that any purchase made by end of day Dec 15th and take delivery before Dec 31st, will still qualify for the program. I asked for an official documentation stating this, but he said they cannot give it out and it's just what they have been told. Again it seems like a big gamble to play with the state if they reject this because the rules weren't followed per their website and the vehicle was not registered by Dec 15th.

Okay so just got confirmation via email from the state and they just updated their website: Program Eligibility

A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the 'accepted by customer' date or the 'order date' of the vehicle will be considered the date of purchase or lease. If the Retail Installment Sales Contract (RISC) lists a date after 12/15/20, then we will require a vehicle configuration page as supplemental documentation.

Reactions: hakunamattata
Okay so just got confirmation via email from the state and they just updated their website: Program Eligibility

A purchase or lease is deemed completed when the purchaser or lessee of the vehicle has executed and signed a purchase or lease contract or security agreement. For Tesla and other manufacturers without a standard purchase or lease contract, the 'accepted by customer' date or the 'order date' of the vehicle will be considered the date of purchase or lease. If the Retail Installment Sales Contract (RISC) lists a date after 12/15/20, then we will require a vehicle configuration page as supplemental documentation.

Just one caveat assuming there is funding and Tesla didnt manage to sell 1500 cars in NJ within a month :)