Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ HOV Access for electric vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jwlsh

Sep 28, 2018
NJ
Hi,

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I wanted to share the info I got from the NJ Turnpike Authority regarding the use of the HOV lane by electric vehicles, regardless of number of passengers. I had found the language on this site: How to Save Money with New Jersey Green Driver Incentives | DMV.ORG to be ambiguous as it referred to Hybrid electric vehicles as opposed to electric vehicles so I decided to email the Turnpike authority directly. They were very responsive and replied with the following.

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for your interest in the New Jersey Turnpike. Vehicles with alternate fuel sources and hybrid engines are allowed in the HOV lane on the Turnpike independent of the number of occupants. The official list of vehicles allowed is found here: NJDEP Climate and Environmental Management. Click on the link for the year of your vehicle model. For example, if your Tesla is a 2017 Tesla model you would click on the 2017 file.

We hope that you find this information helpful.

Edward Stominski

Deputy Mgr. Customer Service

732-750-5300 ext. 8755

So in short, yay!! Teslas are allowed to use the HOV lane, regardless of number of passengers.

Thats awesome but I have seen so many ICE cars (with just driver) in the HOV lanes and it not being enforced on NJTP.

Staten Island Expressway going to the Verrazano is a whole difference animal. Its heavily enforced during rush hour. Does anyone know if there are the exclusions for EVs on the SIE?