Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ lawmaker introduces bill to exempt electric car makers from franchise rules and al

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"I’m not pushing Tesla out; the state Legislature did," Christie said this week. "They passed a law, which is still on the books, which says if you want to sell cars in this state, you must go through an authorized dealer. My job is not to make the laws, it’s to enforce the laws. And Tesla was operating outside the law."

Lets see if Christie stays put, and let this new bill go through...

CC will sign any pro Tesla bill. Good politics. I do hope that the first 'total exemption' bill passes. The '4% solution' bill fall under the part of Elon's conquest statement that says, 'Then they ignore you'. Not trying to be greedy here but it really should not be limited to a percentage of vehicles sold. That is still government restriction on competition and still guarantees that auto franchises/dealerships will survive even if the populace feels they are not necessary/unwanted.

CC will sign any pro Tesla bill. Good politics. I do hope that the first 'total exemption' bill passes. The '4% solution' bill fall under the part of Elon's conquest statement that says, 'Then they ignore you'. Not trying to be greedy here but it really should not be limited to a percentage of vehicles sold. That is still government restriction on competition and still guarantees that auto franchises/dealerships will survive even if the populace feels they are not necessary/unwanted.
I'm sure Tesla is agnostic on whether auto franchises/dealerships survive or not. Tesla just wants to be left alone to sell its car directly, without interference in its business model from the state or dealers.

Having a percentage restriction doesn't make logical sense, but it may make political sense or at least be what's politically feasible. It's the camel's nose under the tent, then in a future session the percentage could be increased or eliminated. Once direct sales become more established and legislators see the sky doesn't fall, it takes the "health and safety" argument away from the dealers and makes it even harder to justify keeping any restrictions. Sometimes incremental change is the only thing that's politically possible when there is an entrenched lobby. If removing all restrictions could get enough support, then sure go for it, but if not take what you can get and try for more next time.

I am in support of this bill too, but not the possible amendment:

"... State Sen. Raymond Lesniak ... will offer an amendment that could let Tesla operate independently until electric cars reach a critical mass … He suggested 4 percent of all cars sold in the U.S. …”

At least this is a step in the right direction!

I'm sure Tesla is agnostic on whether auto franchises/dealerships survive or not. Tesla just wants to be left alone to sell its car directly, without interference in its business model from the state or dealers.

Having a percentage restriction doesn't make logical sense, but it may make political sense or at least be what's politically feasible. It's the camel's nose under the tent, then in a future session the percentage could be increased or eliminated. Once direct sales become more established and legislators see the sky doesn't fall, it takes the "health and safety" argument away from the dealers and makes it even harder to justify keeping any restrictions. Sometimes incremental change is the only thing that's politically possible when there is an entrenched lobby. If removing all restrictions could get enough support, then sure go for it, but if not take what you can get and try for more next time.

Well said....There's hope in NJ afterall

It would seem to me the way to write a bill to exempt Tesla and further strengthen the current car dealers would be to simply state, Any manufacturer who doesnt currently have a franchise model or franchisee may sell cars directly to consumers providing they have a solution in place for repairs and maintenence.

It would seem to me the way to write a bill to exempt Tesla and further strengthen the current car dealers would be to simply state, Any manufacturer who doesnt currently have a franchise model or franchisee may sell cars directly to consumers providing they have a solution in place for repairs and maintenence.

If you add U.S. car manufacturers to it. Otherwise it opens the door to those foreign car manufacturers that don't have dealers.