Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ Rebate and Sudden Loss of Range/Anemic Supercharging Quandry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot 2020-01-21 09.56.52.png
Screenshot 2020-01-21 09.56.52.png
I’m experiencing a bit of a quandry. I have a 2015 Model S 70D. (Initial top range 240 Miles, now approx. 228 Miles at 100%. Amazing car, love it but recently it has been rendered all but useless for anything beyond short trips based on software updates that decreased range and worse, the Supercharging time is like plugging into a 120 Volt outlet. Yesterday for example I had been driving for better than 45 minutes when I arrived at SuC. I plugged the SuC into navigation as people have said it pre-conditions the battery for high speed charging. I arrived at SuC (Basking Ridge NJ) site and was alone. I had 88 miles of range. I set the charging limit to 100% just to see if the SuC would deliver a higher rate for longer. After 40 minutes I had only added 69 miles. A SuC adding roughly 1.7 mile per minute????? I had a road trip planned to Canada and have to take my diesel ICE as I can’t turn a 7 hour trip into 10-11 hours. When I plugged in it said I had 1 hour wait to fully charge, after 40 minutes, it stated I still had 50 minutes left of charging.

With NJ offering a $5,000 discount, I thought of selling the S privately, and purchasing a long range 3 to stay below the NJ $55K threshold for the rebate. To stay below threshold, I can opt for a paint color option, take standard wheels and perhaps change in future, and buy Auto Pilot after the fact.

I know there is a class action lawsuit filtering its way through the system regarding the sudden loss of range and anemic charging rates. I have concerns that should I sell the current MS before any sort of settlement, would I lose my ‘legal rights’ to compensation or a replacement battery pack. I’ve seen speculation of some sort of Lemon Law buyback ala the VW Dieselgate scandal. On that note I had a 2012 VW Passat Diesel. Purchased for $31K, VW purchased it back 5 years later (60,000 miles) for $26K.

22kW charge rates at a supercharger doesn't have anything to do with software updates. That's either a weather issue (40 minutes of driving won't be enough to bring a pack up to full temp if it was particularly cold out) or it was an issue with the supercharger or your charge port.

I would instead consider if you want a Model 3 or a Model S.

I would probably wait until Tesla has more information available on what they will do to settle the issue. If they upgrade your battery pack presumably your warranty would be extended and you could keep the car for another 8 years. I am in a similar supercharging boat.

Ewoodick, if you look at the Excel spreadsheet you'll see last 5 SuC sessions. The 12 miles range loss is not an issue to me, but for many it was a sudden loss of 20-40 Miles of range after software update. If you read my words above, I was more concerned about adding 1.7 to 2.15 miles/minute at a Supercharger; or roughly a SuC is only 4 times faster than a 240 14-50 home connection. I charge at home every time I back into driveway. Only SuC on long rides, most times after having driven over a 100 miles so battery is/should be warm.

Oh, I think that I figured it out. I'm guessing that by SuC you are meaning Supercharger! Why in the crap don't you just spell it out instead of making people guess. If nothing else, copy it the first time and paste it each time you want to use it.

Your title started with NJ Rebate, then Sudden Loss of Range and finally slow supercharging. Slow Supercharging didn't exactly seem high on your list. And now that you say your apparent battery loss is not an issue. I guess it is only the lower Supercharging.
Why didn't you just say so? And post it on the thread on the very subject?

Oh, I think that I figured it out. I'm guessing that by SuC you are meaning Supercharger! Why in the crap don't you just spell it out instead of making people guess. If nothing else, copy it the first time and paste it each time you want to use it.

Your title started with NJ Rebate, then Sudden Loss of Range and finally slow supercharging. Slow Supercharging didn't exactly seem high on your list. And now that you say your apparent battery loss is not an issue. I guess it is only the lower Supercharging.
Why didn't you just say so? And post it on the thread on the very subject?

I give up ewood. You win. SuC is acceptable nomenclature as a shortcut for SuperCharger. I didn't create it. I lumped Sudden Loss of Range and Slow "Super Charging" into the header because some owners have dealt with either issue more severely, while others have dealt with one or the other. For me the loss of 12 miles of range is less vital than the slow SuC (aka Super Charging). As for Sudden Loss/Slow Charging, if you look at that particular forum outside the Mid-Atlantic region, there are 502 pages of responses. 502 pages! Not everyone posting there is dealing with the Mid-Atlantic or North East regions. If I kept this posting to those dealing with same SuC and weather/temps plus their experiences at NJ/PA/NY SuC locations, I and others might receive feedback pertinent to this region. Ala skip Edison, go to Woodbridge; skip Parsippany, go to Boonton. etc. These forums work because we're in this together. Not as adversaries but to making Tesla even better and to have the best driving experience possible. Ewood, I'm glad all is well in your world but for many pre-facelift owners we are recently dealing with very serious issues.

I absolutely agree with your post, it is not the total range that is the real problem, it is the slow charging at the supercharger.. I have driven the car from NC to NY and Florida and enjoyed the long trips but can no longer do it.. The slow rate of charge will add hours to the trip.
This needs to be addressed, it is a significant downgrade to the car compared to what I had when I bought it.
I love the car (2014 P85D) and own a model 3, but this is just wrong. Tesla needs to own up to it, fix it or compensate for it.
I will buy another Model S if they do, otherwise I will look to the competition which is starting to look good.