Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ rebate - Do I remove the induction wheels to qualify for the $2k rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order on the Model Y recently with the following specs:

- long range
- white exterior / white interior
- 20" induction wheels

My MSRP is coming to $56.9k and thus I don't qualify for the NJ rebate of $2k which has a limit of $55k purchase price - I'm wondering if I should remove the induction wheels to save $2k?

Thoughts cause the induction wheels look sickk

Depends on how much hassle you want to go through and if you're intending to end up with induction wheels. Do nothing, and the induction wheels cost $4K net to you. That's a lot of money to some people and almost nothing to others. Skip the wheels, and you can always get them later, plenty on eBay from people who don't want them. Personally, I'd go with Geminis and remove the covers, as they have a nice dish to them, and then plastidip them to try different looks. If you still want the inductions, they are much cheaper than $4K on ebay and you have a set of Geminis to use as winter wheels or sell off or whatever.

Reactions: Fourdoor
I was in a similar decision process as you when it came time to decide on getting my Model Y LR order to qualify for the rebate or not, and the Induction wheels (which I wound up including) were also a deciding factor. For me ultimately to say "F it" to the rebate was that a) it was now only $2K instead of $5K and b) because of that I was going to take that $2K anyways and eventually spend it on aftermarket 20" or 21" bronze rims which would have made it a wash. I'd rather have the car come from the factory as I envision it and the 20" wheels actually come with the better Goodyear tires. The Gemini's come with Continentals which score somewhat low on review sites. If the MSRP had been low enough to get $5K then I probably would have omitted the Inductions and waited.

In short, if the Inductions (or whatever other options) look sick to you, go with it if $2K is not going to change the way you live. At least we can hope for a Federal rebate to the tune of $7500-$10000 if the government can get their crap together.

I was in a similar decision process as you when it came time to decide on getting my Model Y LR order to qualify for the rebate or not, and the Induction wheels (which I wound up including) were also a deciding factor. For me ultimately to say "F it" to the rebate was that a) it was now only $2K instead of $5K and b) because of that I was going to take that $2K anyways and eventually spend it on aftermarket 20" or 21" bronze rims which would have made it a wash. I'd rather have the car come from the factory as I envision it and the 20" wheels actually come with the better Goodyear tires. The Gemini's come with Continentals which score somewhat low on review sites. If the MSRP had been low enough to get $5K then I probably would have omitted the Inductions and waited.

In short, if the Inductions (or whatever other options) look sick to you, go with it if $2K is not going to change the way you live. At least we can hope for a Federal rebate to the tune of $7500-$10000 if the government can get their crap together.
Very good points you make....the one thing I'll be curious on is how the market is to sell the Gemini wheels on my own through FB Marketplace or ebay - like I'm wondering if I will have a hard time selling at a $2k price tag (considering they go for $2,850 on the Tesla website). If it's fairly easy then to be honest it may be worth putting up with the hassle....cause the way I am looking at it these induction wheels right now are costing me an extra $4k (not $2k)