Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ Supercharger Offline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today, both Tinton Falls Police and Jersey Shore Outlet Mall security allowed IC Cars to take every EV charging spot. I called security and they just said "sorry and wait" Sat Morning 4/30/16.

What would you do?

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_9650.jpeg
    IMG_9650.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 168
Not sure about NJ but a few states have enacted legislation to permit towing of non EV parked/blocking access to EV charger (even on private property such as a business in some cases). If NJ does not have this, seems like a nice opportunity to send a note to your local or state elected representative (probably not your governor ;)) to sponsor legislation to address what will only become a bigger problem as more EV's emerge.

Today, both Tinton Falls Police and Jersey Shore Outlet Mall security allowed IC Cars to take every EV charging spot. I called security and they just said "sorry and wait" Sat Morning 4/30/16.

What would you do?

Greg
I sympathize with you but title of thread should be changed. The chargers are not off line (like broken or shut off) but ICED

Not sure how to change the title... Perhaps ICE'd is more proper.

BTW while I am not a big poster here, but I have 95K miles on my P85S (bought new Feb 2012 - there were no superchagers when I bought my car) and took delivery of P90DL X yesterday. In all this time, I have never seen anything like this... Just really a bit frustrated.

After calling Tesla, I would also put a note on each of the ICEs explaining nicely that they were blocking others from proceeding to their destinations.

I would also try to contact the property owners and complain about their security.

Also, I would call the police, and see if they would have the cars towed, and file a complaint for blocking charging/traffic.

The police will not let people just park their cars in the middle of the highway, shoulder to shoulder preventing any traffic to proceed past them (this is sometimes done by protest groups). As far as a Tesla driver is concerned, this is no different.

GSP

Last edited:
After calling Tesla, I would also put a note on each of the ICEs explaining nicely that they were blocking others from proceeding to their destinations.

I would also try to contact the property owners and complain about their security.

Also, I would call the police, and see if they would have the cars towed, and file a complaint for blocking charging/traffic.

The police will not let people just park their cars in the middle of the highway, shoulder to shoulder preventing any traffic to proceed past them (this is sometimes done by protest groups). As far as a Tesla driver is concerned, this is no different.

GSP
in NJ there needs to be a local ordinance prohibiting blocking a charger before the barneys will write tickets or tow cars away. tesla and locals should pressure the powers in that town to take up the issue. tesla should consider pulling out of there if the SpCs are always iced.

• Helpful
Reactions: st50maint
Even if NJ does not have a EV charger based ordinance, I would still try to file a complaint. Travelers that are blocked from proceeding on their journey should have a legal basis to complain. This would not have been acceptable behavior even 2000 years ago if people traveling on foot were detained against their will.

I would also call the mayor's office and complain if the police did not help.

GSP

Even if NJ does not have a EV charger based ordinance, I would still try to file a complaint. Travelers that are blocked from proceeding on their journey should have a legal basis to complain. This would not have been acceptable behavior even 2000 years ago if people traveling on foot were detained against their will.

I would also call the mayor's office and complain if the police did not help.

GSP
you could complain all that you care to but lacking legal authority (ordinances) the cops are powerless and lack the authority to do anything to help out.
like I said previously pressure must be applied to the mall management via tesla and on the local politicians who have the power to create an ordinance that then would empower the cops to take whatever necessary steps needed to lessen the icing issues there.

We have no superchargers in my town but we do have several public J1772s and the town will be adding more soon at our visitors center. We are a tourist town and drawing EVs is pointless if the police are powerless to ticket the EV spots. I took the time to write my city council to ask that a ordinance be passed, citing current spots that are often ICEd and framed it as a way to generate revenue via ticket fines.

First off, the title should absolutely be changed, I thought that there was a technical issue, or the power company took them offline or something.

Secondly, since these are on private property, the mall owner should change there policy and let security have these cars towed if they park there. (or at least be aware and ask folks to move their cars). Contacting Tesla is the best course of action as they can talk to the Mall owner.

What would you do?

Greg

That's pretty bad! The signs in your photo appear to specifically state that those spaces are reserved for EVs only. Did you communicate that the ICE vehicles parked in the Tesla spots are in direct violation of the posted signs, and therefore they should be receiving violation notices at a minimum?

That's pretty bad! The signs in your photo appear to specifically state that those spaces are reserved for EVs only. Did you communicate that the ICE vehicles parked in the Tesla spots are in direct violation of the posted signs, and therefore they should be receiving violation notices at a minimum?
in NJ no ordinances outlining parking rules means no summonses can be issued.

Hmm. Often I travel to destinations where I cannot get home or to another supercharger without stopping at certain superchargers. I don't mind waiting for a Tesla to clear a stall of course, but waiting hours for someone that ICE'd me is a big impact on my use of the car and would leave me no alternatives. I guess I better buy a J1772 adapter ASAP so I can at least put enough power in to safely get to the next supercharger.

Hmm. Often I travel to destinations where I cannot get home or to another supercharger without stopping at certain superchargers. I don't mind waiting for a Tesla to clear a stall of course, but waiting hours for someone that ICE'd me is a big impact on my use of the car and would leave me no alternatives. I guess I better buy a J1772 adapter ASAP so I can at least put enough power in to safely get to the next supercharger.
They include one with every car, don't they?