TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No 110 volt AC outlet

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by dweeks, Sep 17, 2014.

1. dweeks

dweeks Member

#1 dweeks, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    My 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid has two standard AC outlets. I use them quite a bit.

It seems that the Model S has none. It's not like there's a shortage of electrical power in the car...

Any ideas why Tesla does not provide an AC outlet?

2. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

This is something I would really like. No idea why they didn't provide it.

3. DCWitt

DCWitt Member

I agree, AC inverter would be very nice to have. Maybe I will see this on my Model X?

4. tom66

tom66 Member

It may seem simple, but it's another thing to safety test and qualify. If they started adding things like that, it'd probably be out a year later. Plus, then they have to add an option to the range calculator for "pulling 3kW from 115V socket"... and also they need a way to stop people trying to charge the car from that socket. (This would create free energy forever, like plugging an extension cord into itself. It's a little known fact that Mr Musk is involved with the illuminati and power company cabals.)

5. MS 60

MS 60 Member

My 2009 Mecury Mariner Hybrid also has an AC outlet. And, it never needs to get plugged in. The battery recharges just by stepping on the brakes. Of course, it has a 330 Volt battery....
    While I have over 135000 on it, and have never needed a tune up (yet), it runs strong, and looks good; it is also a great car. And a noble step, on my path to the very great MS. Yes the S is a much better vehicle. Even without an outlet.

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Tesla designed their first car from the ground up. When you're worried about whether you can even deliver a car to customers before you run out of money, these nice-to-have features are the first thing to go. We'll start to see all these things creep in eventually to bring the car more in line with the features of competitors.

There's the secondary issue of aesthetics. The interior strongly adheres to Bauhaus principals (not even so much as a map pocket!), and I'd be surprised to see 110V outlets where our USB ports are. My guess is that the Model S will eventually get an actual bin inside the armrest, instead of the hollow shell we have now, and the 110V ports will go in there.

7. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

I'm curious, what do you use them for (that couldn't work with the USB ports or the "lighter" outlet, I mean)? I've seen others ask for this but never was sure that people use them for.

8. pvh

pvh Active Member

To make coffee!

9. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 1.23.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 1.24.54 PM.png

10. pvh

pvh Active Member

I mean real coffee, like espresso.... But thx ;)

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Totally get it. I had to give up riding my bike for that reason - just no place to plug in the espresso machine. :)

BTW, You did say 'make coffee', not 'make espresso' ... there is one that uses pods. Not my preferred method, but if you're insistent that your car is capable of brewing espresso:

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 1.29.56 PM.png

12. Eseell

Eseell Member

Last year some friends and I were road tripping to the renaissance festival in a neighboring state, and two of them were in the back seat finishing costumes with their sewing machines plugged into the 110VAC outlet in the van.

13. GLDYLX

GLDYLX Member

You want an Edison Receptacle in a TESLA???
    Say it ain't so!
    :wink:

Happy Thursday!

14. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

HAHAHAHAHA! Thanks, Bonnie and pvh. You're scaring me. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Good grief! (Props for the ren fest reference, though.) :) Okay, I give up....

15. dweeks

dweeks Member

The biggest use is to charge iPhone/iPad/Macbook Pro from 110 volts AC. The smaller devices will charge off the USB port in the Fusion Hybrid (it has two) but using the AC charger is much faster. You cannot charge the laptop from the USB port.

I don't have kids, but my Fusion-driving friends with spawn (grin) tell me that not needing an inverter to power a DVD player for the kids in back is very useful.

16. freds

freds Member

I would scream if the Tesla pickup didn't come with it (grin)!!!