Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No 80 Amp Charging Anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 100 amp 208V circuit, "hard wired" to a Gen 1 charger -- feeds 80 amps to my 2013 tesla (per the Tesla display).

But my brand new 2022 only will pull 48 amps--no further adjustment evident on the screen above that. Any way to get the full 80 amps, or Tesla just "figures" 48 amps is it?

But my brand new 2022 only will pull 48 amps--no further adjustment evident on the screen above that. Any way to get the full 80 amps, or Tesla just "figures" 48 amps is it?
They discontinued that a very long time ago. When the Model X was introduced in 2015, they had reworked the chargers. Instead of one or two of the 40A ones, it was a single piece that was either 72A or 48A. And so when the Model S got its facelift/refresh in Spring of 2016, they also switched to that same single piece charger with 72A maximum.

And then I didn't remember exactly when it was, but @JimmyB mentioned it was with the Raven upgrade, they switched to only the 48A maximum. And with replacing the wonderful Gen2 wall connectors with the pretty crummy Gen3 version, which can only do 48A maximum, they are indicating that this change is permanent. Tesla feels that Supercharger coverage is so great that if you want more than 48A charging, just go to a Supercharger.

I have a 2014 Model S and only have the single charger because at the time I was ordering, it was 3,600 freaking dollars for the package upgrade of the second charger with wall connector.

Yeah I looked at these, and concluded it wasn't worth the additional expense. My HPWC installation was pricey enough already thanks to the 200ft cable run going up and over the roof of the house :D
I know the feeling - ran 100 ft inside the basement/garage walls in the house I owned when I bought the Model S, got a new job and moved, then ran 115 ft in buried conduit in my backyard to the detached garage...why my meters and garage are always the two furthest away points on my property, I don't know.

Timing of this thread is awesome as yesterday I did an upgrade to my panel and wiring to my Gen2 charger. I was previously running the Gen2 on a 40amp breaker so could only pull 32amps at the car. With yesterday's upgrade work, I was able to go with a 70amp breaker and installed new #6 wiring to the Gen2 in support of it. The good news is my late 2015 MS went from 32a to 40a on the charging side but that's it. I see mention in this thread of 48amps as the new ceiling which, while disappointing (as I was hoping to go 58 or 64), I can't get. I'm on hold now with Tesla Energy/Powerwall/Charger support but maybe easier question here: Is my MS stuck at a max of 40amps? Or should I be able to go higher, and if so, how high?

Timing of this thread is awesome as yesterday I did an upgrade to my panel and wiring to my Gen2 charger. I was previously running the Gen2 on a 40amp breaker so could only pull 32amps at the car. With yesterday's upgrade work, I was able to go with a 70amp breaker and installed new #6 wiring to the Gen2 in support of it. The good news is my late 2015 MS went from 32a to 40a on the charging side but that's it. I see mention in this thread of 48amps as the new ceiling which, while disappointing (as I was hoping to go 58 or 64), I can't get. I'm on hold now with Tesla Energy/Powerwall/Charger support but maybe easier question here: Is my MS stuck at a max of 40amps? Or should I be able to go higher, and if so, how high?

What did you set the dial inside the gen 2 wall connector to?

Just hung up with Tesla Support who confirmed my 2015 MS has a single charger and thus charging is capped at 40 amps. This aligns to what we saw yesterday when we tried to set the Gen2 dial to anything beyond "8" as the car wouldn't go past 40amps.

So I guess the good news out of all of this is that it gives me another reason to look for a used 100D: More miles, cameras (AP2 and above), and dual chargers/80amp charging support. See, everything happens for a reason. =)

I was able to go with a 70amp breaker and installed new #6 wiring to the Gen2 in support of it.
Why is this so hard for people?

6 gauge wire in conduit has to use the 75 degree setting, which is up to a 65A rated circuit. You can't use it for a 70A circuit.

Why is this so hard for people?

6 gauge wire in conduit has to use the 75 degree setting, which is up to a 65A rated circuit. You can't use it for a 70A circuit.

It's hard because there is a TON of misinformation about this, including tesla certified installers who claim to do this all the time, who don't understand the difference between short-term and constant load.

So I guess the good news out of all of this is that it gives me another reason to look for a used 100D: More miles, cameras (AP2 and above), and dual chargers/80amp charging support. See, everything happens for a reason. =)

I am pretty sure the dual 40A chargers were discontinued before the 100D was released. Can't remember when the 72A offering was dropped...2017? Either way, good luck on your search.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
If you have the dual charger option (which at least used to be retrofittable), you should be able to do 80A. Otherwise 40A is the limit.

If you have the dual charger option (which at least used to be retrofittable), you should be able to do 80A. Otherwise 40A is the limit.
Yeah. If you had continued reading two comments later, he added:

"Just hung up with Tesla Support who confirmed my 2015 MS has a single charger and thus charging is capped at 40 amps. This aligns to what we saw yesterday when we tried to set the Gen2 dial to anything beyond "8" as the car wouldn't go past 40amps."