Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Air from Middle Row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yinn

Nov 15, 2016
Behind you
I’m not getting any airflow from these vents. Does anyone have a service manual or instructions to help diagnose it?

C8D56856-836F-42BE-9A8F-D9FB3E7EFEB0.jpeg

It’s been several trips to the service center and they have no interest in fixing it. I’ve been fed BS such as:
- It depends on the 2nd row passengers and it’s not working now because there’s no passengers.
- It’s working you just can’t feel it because it’s not as strong as the front.
- The vents are automatic, you can’t turn them on manually. It’s fully automated.

After sitting a tech in the 2nd row. Adjusting it manually and buying an airflow meter to prove to them it isn’t working; they finally took the car for two weeks and returned it to me having run a software diagnostic and showed no issue. When I asked for an explanation for why it did t work; I got a literal shrug.

I’m now out of warranty and figured it’s the right time to rip it apart myself. I’m willing to bet good money that it’s most likely a misaligned/pinched/clogged air tunnel, but need to make sure I’m not breaking clips and parts when I pull it apart.

• Informative
Reactions: Bob Denny
Do you have rear HVAC controls and third row seats? Otherwise second row air only comes from center console and under front seats.

Yes, I have rear controls and third row seats. With it set on manual I can have the car on full blast. There will be airflow from everything except the B pillar ducts. Based on the parts diagram, I even shut off the center console to see if the air flow would direct to the B pillars, they did not. So that would indicate that flow is getting to part #3 ok, but from there 6-15 needs to be checked. And since it's both sides that don't have air, my suspicions are on part #6.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 2.44.37 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Gwgan
Do you get airflow in the third row vents? The vents you are complaining about and the third row vents only get air flow based on the "Rear" setting while the console vents get air flow based on the main setting. If you were correct and part 6 was missing/wrong, you wouldn't get airflow in the third row, either, because that air goes through 9&10 on the way to 16&17 the same way air going to 11&13 does. Unfortunate you're out of warranty before trying this, but set the rear fan speed to 7 (I think that's the highest, set it to whatever is highest) and then check for air flow in those vents as well as the third row again.

In the winter when my 2016 X was new it blew cold air through those vents. Service opened up all the trim, fixed some connections, and added insulation. They have been fine since. Ran a scope to see what 14 to 9/7 might look like and saw the telescope connection where the bottom of 13 sits around the top of 9, and something else
55E0A6F3-EB20-4D1E-BF8F-7B3D0A080D00.jpeg
Good luck with the teardown. Upload pictures of the innards, please.

Last edited:
Unfortunate you're out of warranty before trying this, but set the rear fan speed to 7 (I think that's the highest, set it to whatever is highest) and then check for air flow in those vents as well as the third row again.

That's something we tried already at the SC when I was trying to show them that there was a problem. I set both front and rears to manual and full blast. We then did it with auto and grabbed a couple more techs to put butts in seats and it was the same situation. The fronts, console, and the 3rd row had air flow; but the B pillar did not.

Do you get airflow in the third row vents? The vents you are complaining about and the third row vents only get air flow based on the "Rear" setting while the console vents get air flow based on the main setting. If you were correct and part 6 was missing/wrong, you wouldn't get airflow in the third row, either, because that air goes through 9&10 on the way to 16&17 the same way air going to 11&13 does.

That was my initial thought as well when looking at the parts diagram. So #9 & #10 were on my first list to check. (Please be patient with me here as I lay out my thought process, and modifying the post as I'm discovering things as I'm writing it up.) However, going through eBay showed these:

Part #1053896:
s-l1600.jpg

Part #1053897

s-l1600.jpg

That's when I realized #9 and #10 weren't splitters and the rear branch might be sourced somewhere else. **[Just realized now. Another potential option is that #6 only exists when there is no 3rd row. That would seem silly though to have two different designs and parts for the same piece.]

In the winter when my 2016 X was new it blew cold air through those vents. Service opened up all the trim, fixed some connections, and added insulation. They have been fine since. Ran a scope to see what 14 to 9/7 might look like and saw the telescope connection where the bottom of 13 sits around the top of 9, and something else
View attachment 572052
Good luck with the teardown. Upload pictures if the innards, please.

Thanks! I also just found these pictures (Part reference # 26) which is where the 3rd row appears to be sourced from. That appears to be Part # 1052586-00-A "Blower Motor, Rear HVAC" and sits by the rear subwoofer.

GUID-9CEBFFDD-D266-4093-9C39-D9581ED26E0E-online.jpg

So based on this picture, I think the silliness might be correct. Part #6 might only exist for 5 seaters. With 3 row cars getting their air from the rear pump instead. Otherwise there would be no need for Parts # 16-20 as there are no additional outlets.

Just as I type that, I took a look at Part #7 and Part #8. Here are the options:

#7: RH Front B-Pillar Feeder Duct (1053891-00-A)
#7: MX DUCT, NO RHVAC, B PILLAR FEEDER, RIGHT (1128677-00-A)

The same goes for 8.

So that seems to imply that #6 splitter exists for both single HVAC and RHVAC cars. Which would imply the B pillars are actually front controlled and not rear controlled. It also adds confusion because #16 and #17 don't seem relevant. There's no other outlet, and if they connected both branches to each other the two pumps would end up pushing against each other. That doesn't seem to be the best use of energy. I'll have to pull the B pillar and see what I find. I'll keep this post updated.

Rear blower flow must move from right side of the car to the left so 25<-26->27 would get the third row vents but then something has to be wrong on both sides for flow to not get to the B-pillar vents.

At about the 5 minute mark Rich starts removing trim over ducts between B and C pillars. There are glympses of 6-10 near the end, but this is a 5-seater.

Last edited:
Rear blower flow must move from right side of the car to the left so 25<-26->27 would get the third row vents but then something has to be wrong on both sides for flow to not get to the B-pillar vents.

At about the 5 minute mark Rich starts removing trim over ducts between B and C pillars. There are glympses of 6-10 near the end, but this is a 5-seater.

Thanks! This is perfect.

So I just went on a 30 minute journey..

Step 1: Remove load floor cover
Step 2: Take sill plate off
Step 3: Remove side trims

As soon as I peeled back the right side, I got hit with a blast of air. This is indeed where the blower is:
IMG_0295.JPG

I felt around and found the culprit part 26 to blower. That foam gasket wasn’t doing a great job and didn’t create a seal. In the bottom corner as well as the center gap air was blowing back into the cavity instead of being directed through the tubes. I pushed down on it and used some masking tape to temporarily test my theory. As soon as I did that, I got a good blast of air from the right B pillar vent!

IMG_0296.JPG

Unfortunately, there was still a good amount of air flowing into the cavity and the drivers side B pillar vent still had no air. So I felt around some more and found that Part#26 wasn't connected to #27. I had to push them together, but it doesn't make a great seal either. It goes together about as well as one of those toy prizes from Chuck E Cheese.

IMG_0299.JPG

The issue appears to be Part #28, the plastic tube that runs along the bottom that connects the two sides. It does not appear to be secured by anything and moves freely. Knowing this, I’d now caution against putting too much stress on the bottom floor (I used to throw 10x 40lb softener salt bags in there) which probably caused it to pull away up top. But after messing around even a much smaller amount of weight would have done the same as the drivers side is held by a 1/4" piece of tape and the passenger side was a cheap indent in the plastic.

IMG_0293.JPG

As soon as I pulled the tube up and connected 26 & 27 together, I heard a hissing on the driver side. I followed #28 to the drivers side and found the plastic tube connects to...foam. Part 30 is just really light foam. I’ve had amazon packages that used heavier foam.

Which led me to air leak #3. I hadn’t noticed it before but the drivers side 3rd row is weaker than the passenger side. This leak was probably why. This one will require a little more work before I get to it but I was able to reach in and pull it up and resecure the 1/4” piece of tape that held #21 and #30 together. You can see the tape mark that was expected to hold it all together here:

IMG_0300.JPG

That gave me much better airflow in the 3rd row, but still left plenty to be desired with air still leaking. More importantly, I now had a faint but distinct amount of airflow in drivers side B pillar vent! I call that progress.

So off I went using the video as a guide (and snapped a clip anyway). I snapped a pic, Part #10 does indeed go into part #16 and it does not appear to be a splitter.

IMG_0302.JPG

Parts #10 and #11 are also foam. If you scroll up to the prior pictures, those are not ABS plastic. It's thin, light, squishy foam! The only thing that secures them to each other is the bumps on the ends, which are flexible. So needless to say, more air leak!

I used a whole bunch of masking tape for trial to see if it improved air flow, and with each leak sealed; I got better air flow out of the vents. All of this took 30-45 minutes to diagnose, which tells me that to SC didn't even put effort into it. Gotta love the service center.

While I was able to get everything opened up to feel around, I didn't open it enough to fix everything. That will probably take me more time. I do have HVAC foil tape, but I'll have to see if it'll adhere to foam. I really don't know why they would use this foam instead of actual plastic, perhaps weight but I may see if someone could 3D print replicas for more durability. Additionally, I still have to go back and address part #28. It needs some sort of support to keep it from pulling at Part #27 & 30 and causing it to separate at the top of those.

I hope this helps someone else in the future...

**It's important to also note that I had thought the 3rd row was working as there was air flow. I couldn't be more wrong. There was definitely air flow, but the amount of air cranked out now is magnitudes higher than what it was before. My 2nd row now cranks at about what my 3rd row previously did, if I can get it sealed up I think it'll perform the same as the rear. My setting at 4 now is just under the airflow that I had at 7 previously.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate something like this couldn't be solved at the service center, but it's also issues like this that I've grown accustomed to hearing over the years with Tesla vehicles. While minor issues plague all vehicle manufacturers, Tesla seems to be giving the cold shoulder more often than not nowadays.

I attempted to make a service request for my vehicle last week due to something rattling in the drivers side FWD and they informed me it would be $175 per hour to troubleshoot the issue (even though I'm under warranty, they consider it a cosmetic concern). Things like this are slowly driving me away as an enthusiast.

It's unfortunate something like this couldn't be solved at the service center, but it's also issues like this that I've grown accustomed to hearing over the years with Tesla vehicles. While minor issues plague all vehicle manufacturers, Tesla seems to be giving the cold shoulder more often than not nowadays.

I attempted to make a service request for my vehicle last week due to something rattling in the drivers side FWD and they informed me it would be $175 per hour to troubleshoot the issue (even though I'm under warranty, they consider it a cosmetic concern). Things like this are slowly driving me away as an enthusiast.

I would even be ok with an either or.

Either...have a top notch service department.
OR
Open up the service manuals and support a DIY repair community.

I've personally been waiting for my cars to get out of warranty to rip them apart. I got really tired of being told by the SC that nothing was wrong with my car when there was clearly a problem. Their method of replace everything in question doesn't fly for me. I recently replaced a failed side repeater and a failed rear camera. This was after they replaced (and charged) me to replace the MCU; which didn't fix the issue. $200 in cameras later bought on eBay, some trim removal, plug and play and no more problem.

Unfortunately, the problem is [currently] where do you go? Back to ICE? That's hard. To another EV? Not without a charging network. Yea, they've got me for now.

Reactions: mxnym
I would even be ok with an either or.

Either...have a top notch service department.
OR
Open up the service manuals and support a DIY repair community.

Unfortunately, the problem is [currently] where do you go? Back to ICE? That's hard. To another EV? Not without a charging network. Yea, they've got me for now.
So much win with this post, I plan to plagiarize these comments at a later time. :)

Reactions: SUP THO
Everything I've ever seen or read implies that there are not B pillar vents in the 5-seat vehicles. Maybe part 6 is for the floor vents under the front driver and passenger seats?
Parts 1 and 2 are for the under seat vents when flow is directed to the footwell.
Part 9 in the diagram appears to allow front flow to the b-pillar vents but the pictured ebay part differs, appearing to connect the c-pillar vents to the b-pillar vents. Rich’s 5 seater clearly had Parts 6, 7, and 9.

IMG_2486.jpg
IMG_2487.png

Last edited:
Parts 1 and 2 are for the under seat vents when flow is directed to the footwell.
Part 9 in the diagram appears to allow front flow to the b-pillar vents but the pictured ebay part differs, appearing to connect the c-pillar vents to the b-pillar vents. Rich’s 5 seater clearly had Parts 6, 7, and 9.

View attachment 572310 View attachment 572311

Yup, #6 goes into #7 and #8. Here are the part descriptions:
MX DUCT, NO RHVAC, B PILLAR FEEDER, RIGHT
MX DUCT, NO RHVAC, B PILLAR FEEDER, LEFT

So even though there's no RHVAC those vents should still be on the B Pillar.

• Informative
Reactions: mxnym