Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AM Radio on 3 (Like the X)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The BMW disabled the AM band in the i3 because of the noise from the motors drowned out the band entirely. Someone has a video on YouTube where they re-enabled the AM radio on an i3 (the radio unit is the same as on some other BMW cars) and you can see why BMW disabled it.

I've heard mixed reports on how well the unlocked via "coding" on-board AM radio on the i3 sounds while driving around. I stumbled across
which is Japanese. 729 kHz seems to a valid station there: List of radio stations in Japan - Wikipedia. That threw me off as I don't think we in the US have AM stations on frenquncies that are non-increments of 10 kHz.
Not that a $3.85 (shipped) radio from e-bay can't solve ....

Since it is likely coming from China, buy early so that it will come before your 3 comes.

Mini Portable Pocket AM/FM Telescopic Antenna Battery Powered Radio Receiver | eBay
If it's like the i3, it might be worthless while driving around. Listen to the 1st video.

AM radio works fine on my '13 Leaf SV w/premium as it did w/my previous '13 Leaf w/both packages. I use the AM radio several times a week. In some days, I flip to it multiple times/day mainly to listen for/to news.

Last edited:
Oh I don't know....most of the other people who replied to this thread? Or did you not even read anyone else's posts first?
FWIW, on Tivocommunity, we have this term "smeeking". The definition of Urban Dictionary: smeek is spot on. Sometimes we "apologize" ahead of time over there by prefacing our post "I hope I'm not smeeking..."

Must have been pretty bad for one poster to cause the creation of this term. Wow.
LOL. I don't follow smeeks or jsmeeker's posts that closely but TCF has some other lingo (StateMaster - Encyclopedia: TiVo Community Forum), some of which is still in use these days like SOAK. UMF I don't see as much anymore. People would say "I have this UMF to buy _____".

Definitely many folks who have drank the Tesla Kool-Aid and have become fanboys have been influenced by the UMF. :)

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW

I've heard mixed reports on how well the unlocked via "coding" on-board AM radio on the i3 sounds while driving around. I stumbled across
which is Japanese. 729 kHz seems to a valid station there: List of radio stations in Japan - Wikipedia. That threw me off as I don't think we in the US have AM stations on frenquncies that are non-increments of 10 kHz.

If it's like the i3, it might be worthless while driving around. Listen to the 1st video.

AM radio works fine on my '13 Leaf SV w/premium as it did w/my previous '13 Leaf w/both packages. I use the AM radio several times a week. In some days, I flip to it multiple times/day mainly to listen for/to news.
I coded in AM on my i3 and it was almost useless. Many stations has so much interference from the motor that you could us it to replace exhaust noise.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna