TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

No AM/XM radio or included Wifi? Tesla Streaming?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by kzod, Aug 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kzod

kzod Member

It seems to me like there is some truth to the rumors about Tesla wanting to start their own streaming music service. They'd charge a monthly fee and it would include mobile data. Otherwise the car would be really lacking in the entertainment department. Getting a data plan directly can be costly and I already have a lifetime XM subscription, so I'm hoping to have a sat receiver and antenna in the car. But if the price is right I'd go with a Tesla service.

2. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Of course it has AM/FM radio. Count that among features too standard to list. It also comes with four doors, a rear window defroster, and floor mats.

3. kzod

kzod Member

Sorry bud, take the time to read I said AM/XM. It only has FM. No AM radio and to date no mention of an XM option.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Ah, you're right I missed that. Sorry, I agree that's crazy! AM is the way DOT communicates emergency information, and often in places without cell reception. Seems like a dangerous oversight.

• Like x 1
  5. James Anders

James Anders Member

AM Sucks. Any AM channel I listen to I stream it.

6. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Even if it sucks, what could possibly be the justification for eliminating it? Certainly can't be cost savings, a $5 radio can tune to an AM band.

7. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

Unless you're in Germany, where the doors, floor mats, and entire rear window are rolled into an optional "comfort package" to sneak around limitations in the EV incentive law ;)

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

There was a problem with AM radio and some of the other electronics, I forgot what but a search should give you more info. If you really want to listen to AM you can do it streaming with Tune-in.

9. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

IIRC the Model X doesn't do AM radio either.

Bruce.

10. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

This is the car for Joe Everyman.
    Joe doesnt have XM

11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Standard AM does not work well in electric vehicles. S and X do not have it either. Must be streamed.

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Actually he does. That's how he listens to Howard Stern.

• Funny x 1
  13. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Here's an article on the subject
    Why Electric Cars Are Ditching AM Radio

• Informative x 2
  14. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Not true, my S has AM radio.

This is actually a real issue for listening to live sports. If your team doesn't broadcast on FM, you might be hosed. Even if you can stream that channel, typically the stream will not carry live events.

• Like x 2
  15. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Nonsense. Bolt and Model S have AM and I listened to my portable SONY AM radio successfully in Model X. If Tesla wanted to, they could engineer an antenna to work. If not, then hire Bose or Delphi to design a solution for the fans of AM radio. At the least, Tesla should include both TuneIn and iHeartRADIO apps.

16. ummgood

ummgood Member

Usually I blow smoke half the time on here but I work on automotive radios for a living and AM is insanely hard to get working in noisy electrical environments. This includes EV's and Harley Davidson's. When you use your portable SONY AM radio are you powering it off the car or are you using batteries? If you are using batteries that isn't the same as integrating into the car because ground loops and electrical noise from the car cause more issues than you can imagine. When you have your portable radio in the car it doesn't pick up the ground noise like an in dash radio would.

We spend days in cars test driving to get the noise minimized for AM implementations. It is insanely difficult to get all the noise out and it takes hundreds of hours for each car to get the DSP settings right to get AM listenable. When you have a portable radio or a consumer radio the only real noise you have to deal with is AC power in the home. For cars you have other noise sources like ignitions in ICE cars and AC motor noise etc...

I can see why Tesla is trying to remove it from their cars. It isn't easy to get right on any car let alone an EV.

• Informative x 4
  17. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

One AAA battery in the SONY radio. The FM transmitter plugs into the 12 volt socket.

Those who insist on built-in AM radio could consider the Chevy Bolt.

• Like x 1
  18. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

It is possible that SiriusXM is part of the PUP, just like the S/X, but the website doesn't list every feature. It's not the most exhaustive spec list.

Also, AM may be available, but again, just not important enough to list.

19. AceSkywalker

AceSkywalker Member

How about XM radio? Most well equipped cars, luxury and non-luxury have it. Had a 07 Nissan SUV with it. I see no reason to have it omitted from a higher end 17 luxury car.

Tesla streaming service? Why? When rumors of that broke, people derided Tesla as losing focus. Just allow third party apps so people can use their existing streaming services they're more than happy with in their car. Charge a modest fee for data access by the user if they must - they'll still keep the connection alive for themselves for AP and other telemetry. Tesla having their own streaming service would crowd an already oversaturated music streaming app market.

20. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

Streaming radio would be fine so long as it streams LIVE programming. I don't want to have to listen to recorded programming. Thus the desire to have XM on my M3. If Tesla will not include it, I will try to purchase a Lynx XM radio and see if it will Bluetooth to my car.