Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Attempts to Connect to Non-Priority Bluetooth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently on 2020.48.37.1, and I don't believe we had this behavior on a previous build.

My wife is the primary driver of our Model S, and her phone is set as the priority Bluetooth device. She has no issues with auto-connections.

My phone is the only other Bluetooth device paired with the S. This past week, I noticed there was no longer any attempt to connect to my non-priority phone. I am able to manually connect with no issue, but this does not prompt any "most-recent" memory in the car, i.e. when I get back in the car after having manually connected on the way to the destination, the car does not connect to my phone even with the absence of the priority (and in my case, only other paired) device.

Done the usual unpair/delete/repair/reboot but no dice. Anyone else had similar issues or found resolutions?

Figured this would go the way of most irregular car noises/goofs - as soon as I inquire about, it would fix itself (or not present itself)...so did another unpair/delete/reboot/pairing.

After the pairing - my phone reconnected after I exited the vehicle. Success!
*Approached with wife's fob but no phone - driver profile changed to my wife's with no phone present.
Wife got in the car with her phone and it auto-connected. Success!
My wife listened to her phone in the car via BT (and left it on the BT setting, not back to streaming/FM).
*Approached with my fob and with phone - driver profile changed to mine with phone present.
I got in the car with my phone (and audio still set to BT)...no auto-connection. FAIL.
Switch to streaming, get out of car / into car...no auto-connection. FAIL.

Not sure if it's worth playing around with more unpair/reboot/pair attempts and changing the order of fob/phone approaches and/or whether the audio is set to BT/streaming to determine any specific triggers for this failure, or if I just live with always having to manually connect.

I did not find this before posting my latest thread ... basically same experience as you. And no, I've not found a resolution to it (yet?).
Interesting we are both MCU1 / AP1 - I am suspicious it is bit-rot for those of us who have not paid to upgrade to MCU2.

I did not find this before posting my latest thread ... basically same experience as you. And no, I've not found a resolution to it (yet?).
Interesting we are both MCU1 / AP1 - I am suspicious it is bit-rot for those of us who have not paid to upgrade to MCU2.
Since I posted, I have upgraded phones and had another round of delete/pair. Not sure if the Bluetooth standards between phones changed, but the process seems to follow as...

IF (my profile is active) + (my fob is only fob within range) + (priority phone is not nearby) + (my phone was last phone connected) + (car has not gone to sleep)
THEN (maybe my phone auto-reconnects)
ELSE (phone must be manually connected)

Since I posted, I have upgraded phones and had another round of delete/pair. Not sure if the Bluetooth standards between phones changed, but the process seems to follow as...

IF (my profile is active) + (my fob is only fob within range) + (priority phone is not nearby) + (my phone was last phone connected) + (car has not gone to sleep)
THEN (maybe my phone auto-reconnects)
ELSE (phone must be manually connected)
Interesting - I can't even get that. At home all fobs and phones are with in range of the car all the time. However this AM I tried leaving the house, manually connecting my phone and it still failed to reconnect on return to the car (not sleeping). Sigh ...

That all said, this worked fine until the last few updates. From another thread, I am going to try removing B/T devices. Hard resetting the car and then re-pairing the phones. If you don't hear from me, you know that failed too :)

Reactions: OrbiterTI4