Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No audio bug in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened to me a few times.

Reboot had no effect.

Sound came back only after a total shut down and a few hours.

Can't recall if it has happened since 46.2 but I will keep my ears open and report back.

I hope it was fixed.

Vin

It happens to me also, but only if I start driving the car before the center console fully comes up. If I always patiently wait for the center console to be fully functional before I shift away from park, the audio seems to always be fine. Is this the same for other folks?

Well, I just updated from 2018.42.2.1 to 2018.46.2

Will be watching to see if the new firmware makes any difference.
I’m on 46.2. Still happening regularly. Especially when I go out for lunch. And when I finish lunch and hop back into the car, still no audio. When I get off at work, the audio is back. Hopefully my appointment on Wednesday will fix this.

After 6+ months and almost 10k miles, had my first occurrence yesterday (Sunday 12/9). Exactly same as OP, no audio at all. Especially turn blinker sound missing was strange. Can't file bug either. Couple hours later when I went for another drive, it was fixed. I'm assuming some audio-driver had crashed.

And I'm on 46.2.

Yeah, I am still having the issue on 46.2

It seems to happen when my screen is slow to start-up.

When I get in my car sometimes the screen wakes up right away with the UI showing, and other times I see T logo for a long time before the UI appears.
It is during those long delay startups that the audio may fail to come on.

Are others having that same symptom of screen having to "boot up" sometimes when getting in the car?
I thought it was normal (but annoying) but other people are now telling me that their Model 3s don't do that.

By the way, I asked two different service people about this, and they "checked my logs for errors", but didn't see any, and just said "it shouldn't' do that", but offered no idea of how to fix it.

When I get in my car sometimes the screen wakes up right away with the UI showing, and other times I see T logo for a long time before the UI appears.

In my 100 days of use, that has happened maybe 8 times. When it happens, it seems to happen more than once in the same day. I've never had any side effects like bad/missing audio from it.

Unrelated, I also had one incident where the audio was completely missing for 30 seconds or so after I got in and started backing out of the garage. No big deal.

I completely lost the backup camera display(all black except for guidelines) last night, for unknown reasons. That's a big problem in a 3, with its rather poor rearward vision. It recovered the next time I used reverse.

Yeah, I am still having the issue on 46.2

It seems to happen when my screen is slow to start-up.

It is during those long delay startups that the audio may fail to come on.

Are others having that same symptom of screen having to "boot up" sometimes when getting in the car?
I thought it was normal (but annoying) but other people are now telling me that their Model 3s don't do that.

By the way, I asked two different service people about this, and they "checked my logs for errors", but didn't see any, and just said "it shouldn't' do that", but offered no idea of how to fix it.

Interesting you say this. I'm not 100% sure it was the same drive, but I do remember I had trouble setting the seat heater during the weekend. After getting into car, I was pressing the button like 10+ times until it turned on the heat (the screen came up like normal). I was wondering if I had some problem with my touch, but maybe the touch panel was slow to boot up. I didn't drive too many times this weekend, so there's good chance that happened the same time when I lost the audio.

This happens to me all the time. I often get in the car and have a black screen and upwards of a minute wait for it to boot. Been happening since I bought it back in Jan. Asked the service center about it once and they said “a firmware update was coming to fix it”. That was several updates ago, but I haven’t been back to the SC since.

The car has recently started forgetting my Favorites in the audio section. Always something new weird. I just roll with it most of the time.

Drove 10k miles M3 LR and started to have this no sound issue like 75% of times... doesnt work rebooting, nothing... only if you lock car and unlock session it might work sometimes... Was pissed off and decide to try a new one Performance, 5 days with it and it happened again... 1 time only... though... some folks said this is a common bug since 2012... WTH???!!

This continues to happen to me frequently.

"Tier 1 reset" (hold down steering wheel buttons) to reboot screen never seems to fix it.
"Tier 2 reset" ("power off menu") always seems to fix it.

Note, when I "power off", I can then tap the screen and see the UI almost instantly. "Power off" seems to power down some car components, but only put the screen in "screen saver mode", but it is still running ready to wake up as soon as you touch it.
Once I do that "power off', tap again, I will still have no audio for maybe 5 more seconds then I hear a "pop" and it all comes back on.

Note, when audio isn't working, it is more than just no sound, I also see some "spinners" on some of the audio menus like it is waiting for something to happen.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA
This continues to happen to me frequently.

"Tier 1 reset" (hold down steering wheel buttons) to reboot screen never seems to fix it.
"Tier 2 reset" ("power off menu") always seems to fix it.

Note, when I "power off", I can then tap the screen and see the UI almost instantly. "Power off" seems to power down some car components, but only put the screen in "screen saver mode", but it is still running ready to wake up as soon as you touch it.
Once I do that "power off', tap again, I will still have no audio for maybe 5 more seconds then I hear a "pop" and it all comes back on.

Note, when audio isn't working, it is more than just no sound, I also see some "spinners" on some of the audio menus like it is waiting for something to happen.

Thanks for sharing detailed notes, I do also have those exact issues... Media keeps running and running and nothing plays, no radio no streaming etc.. turn signal no sound... Good thing is seat belt warning off too haha... everything else works fine, AC, Menu etc... that's why I suspect is related to other medias such as USB and Phone BT..

Well Power off and touching screen will do for now... but if this is something so old (since 2012), just wondering why it hasn't been fixed and why not bring it publicly, they are just pushing owners for legal actions this way. Come on, they are sending rockets and back, 3x!! Imagine if "Houston we got problems" in silence... lol... no bueno, I did twit the man today. :)

It happened to me today. 100 miles in complete silence as nothing, not even the microphone would work. This happened a couple of times in the past and a simple reboot took care of it. But not today as even after 4 reboots we were still quiet. I finally get home and in a few minutes go back to the car and all works. Aggravating.

I did not realize power off was under safety and security. I really wish there was a search on the owner's manual.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA