Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No audio bug in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same problem. Touch screen reboot, power off, and factory reset — I tried it all several times and none of it fixed the problem. So I drove to the Owings Mills, MD service center today without an appointment and they took care of me right away. They re-downloaded the 2019.16.2 firmware already installed on the car and voila, problem fixed. So it must have been a faulty firmware installation that caused the problem or maybe a new version of 2019.16.2.

The “solution” lasted all of one day. I have the problem again, and it appears to be totally unpredictable and random.

I've been having this issue off and on ever since the 2019.16.2 update. No resets seem to work. In the past, it's resolved itself overnight. However, ever since it happened again on Sunday, it still hasn't been fixed. I've tried all the resets (power off, scroll wheel reset and even disconnected the 12v battery) nothing worked. Strangely, when I disconnected the 12v, the car still had power. I even did the touch screen power off but the HV connectors stayed connected and continued powering the car, even after letting it sit for an hour.

Is there a way to disconnect the HV power so that you can completely power down the car?

Someone in Reddit posted this blog about how to disconnect the main power.

Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset

I haven't tried it yet. Luckily, the audio came back this morning. Anyone else try this disconnect? I went to the Service Center today and they reviewed my logs but couldn't see any issues. I got a new firmware update last night and hopefully, that keeps this fixed. Btw, when I mentioned to the service tech this HV disconnect, he mentioned that if you're going to do that, to keep the car powered down for at least 5 minutes. Otherwise, the car might get stuck in a reboot loop once you reconnect it.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
i haven't had this happen in months, but it is happening now after leaving the car in my garage for 10 days. have a road trip planned for this weekend that i guess will be in total silence, since the usual ways of resolving are not working (and mobile support will take 48-72 hours according to tesla to get back to me and schedule something). great.

anyone have a silver bullet for fixing this when the usual (power off / exit and re-enter car) don't work?

Tesla Model 3 no sound. Furthermore, there are no warning indicators at all. That includes vehicle warnings (seat belt, low tire pressure, etc) indicators sounds, chimes or steering wheel vibrations. This is a serious safety issue and while drivable, unknowingly loosing these intermittent features is quite risky and dangerous.

I have applied every troubleshooting method on the internet for this problem aside from disconnecting the 12v battery which still is not a permanent solution. I've been struggling to get in contact with anyone from Tesla or find any information from them on the matter. I'll be reaching out to their Emergency roadside assistance today.

There will always be growing pains with technology that is being driven and advanced so rapidly. I've knowingly signed up to this and do my very best to assume positive intentions by the wonderful people at Tesla. Considering the seriousness of the safety issue here, I could really use some good news from Tesla or someone on how to permanently resolve this problem that so many of us are facing.

Tesla - if you can hear me, if you're out there - please contact me https://ts.la/bruce51047

- Update -

After countless hours on the phone with Tesla, I managed to speak with someone from technical support who forced a software update on the car. This appeared to resolve the problem. However, I had already scheduled servicing and kept the appointment.

I brought the car in for servicing while everything seemed to be working properly. Over the course of 4 hours I received quite a few notifications on my phone that software updates were started and FAILED. Eventually, I did get a notification of a successful software installation! Hallelujah!

*I would recommend scheduling a service appointment if you have no sound. The audio warnings are indicators are essential safety tools if you have them enabled and rely on them. Yes, troubleshoot to the best of your own ability but do consider servicing to ensure the no sound bug is completely resolved.

Were on day two of owning the Model 3 and just had this issue occur. It took several soft reboots and magically working again. Is this an ongoing issue that is going to require a service?

My wife was driving home and the audio made a pop sound like if you pulled a cord out of a amp and then nothing. It did that for me as well once once she got home trying to get the audio back on before the reset. Not super stoked to have this issue on day 2.

Well, f’ing hell... I just had the no-audio bug happen this morning after going maybe 8 months without it happening.

Since I got through the entire warm part of the year without it happening even once, I’m wondering if it might have something to do with the temperature or time of year.

Possibly relevant: I just re-started using heated gloves in my car which I plug into the 12V outlet under the center armrest. I also used these last winter during the months when I frequently experienced the no audio bug.

Assuming that the reemergence of this bug doesn’t turn out to be a one-time fluke, I’ll start keeping a log of when it happens and whether or not the gloves are plugged in when the car starts up to see if there’s any clear correlation.

I’ll start keeping a log of when it happens

I've had the no-audio bug happen 7 more times since my last post in November and I recorded all of the details that I considered relevant from each instance.

The one factor that ties all 8 of the instances together is that I very hurriedly tried to shift into gear after entering the car. I.e., the car was asleep, and after opening the driver's door, I pressed the brake pedal and tried shifting into reverse all within about 1-2 seconds or so -- too fast for the car to actually be ready to shift into gear, so in these instances I had to try shifting multiple times. I haven't had the bug occur even once when I enter the car and shift into gear at a "normal" pace.

Other things that were not consistent factors between all of the instances: a cold-soaked battery / extreme cold outdoor temperature (it's happened several times in the upper 40s F or after a charging session with a warm-ish battery), seat heater on/off, and 12V outlet usage.

I'm no computer or software expert, so forgive me if this hypothesis is ignorant... but I'm wondering if me VERY QUICKLY trying to shift into gear immediately after waking up the car from a sleep somehow interrupts the loading of certain drivers that are necessary for the audio system to work properly. (???)

(Also possibly worth noting: in half of these instances, the Homelink auto-close function has failed to execute to close my garage door as I backed out of my garage like it normally does. (The auto-close notification didn't even pop up on the screen. But I WAS able to manually use Homelink to close the door.) So I wonder if the audio and Homelink issues are possibly related.)

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
I'm no computer or software expert, so forgive me if this hypothesis is ignorant... but I'm wondering if me VERY QUICKLY trying to shift into gear immediately after waking up the car from a sleep somehow interrupts the loading of certain drivers that are necessary for the audio system to work properly. (???)

I am a software engineer (grin). I would not guess its about drivers, but about 'wake-ups'. a LOT of software engineering in electric cars is about power mgmt and trying to put various cpu/ecu systems to sleep.

when you enter the car, things are 'waking up' and some take longer than others.

I don't know the timing for tesla's various modules, but its very possible that when you do things more slowly (the path that works), that that's how long it takes for things to go from suspend/sleep to run mode, re-init whatever things they need, re-sync whatever states they need.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I had music in rear only going on and off for about 30 minutes ride . Used only front speakers which by the way sounded like Radio shacks original speakers... Next day hard reset and ZERO sound in rear. Today made a call on bluertooth and person couldn't hear me. Made a service call appointment to house think they can fix this at house ? just dont want to waste half my day and then have to bring into a Sc?

Had it happen for the first time to my 2 month old M3 LR yesterday. No audio at all including music/streaming, navigation, phone, turn signals, autopilot warnings, collision warning, etc. I have 2020.44.10.1 loaded. Didn't work for the last hour of my drive. Charged and locked the car overnight and it's working normally again this morning. I'll keep the resets from this forum in mind if it happens again. However, I'll probably visit a SC if this becomes a recurring issue since it's safety related.