Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we've gotten to the bottom of it. Auto-headlight and auto-wipers used to be handled by the rain/light sensor (now replaced by cameras)

I'm a bit worried if they are using cameras to detect how much rain is on the windshield. The camera looks through a very small section of the windshield, with a focal length that means anything on the window is just a blur. I have some concerns that this may not work for anything more than on/off anytime any kind of drop hits that area, with none of the speed selection current systems are pretty good at. I guess time will tell.

Cameras for auto headlights and high beams sounds awesome. My current BMW uses a camera for the auto high beams and it's OK, but with the processing power of knowing if something is actually a car or just a streetlight, it should be perfect on a Tesla.

I'm a bit worried if they are using cameras to detect how much rain is on the windshield. The camera looks through a very small section of the windshield, with a focal length that means anything on the window is just a blur. I have some concerns that this may not work for anything more than on/off anytime any kind of drop hits that area, with none of the speed selection current systems are pretty good at. I guess time will tell.

Cameras for auto headlights and high beams sounds awesome. My current BMW uses a camera for the auto high beams and it's OK, but with the processing power of knowing if something is actually a car or just a streetlight, it should be perfect on a Tesla.

We'll have to see, but I think it'll be better than the dedicated sensor on my car. I'd assume Tesla is using the wide angle camera for rain, which means it's probably seeing the whole patch under the housing, and it might be able to focus a lot closer than you think - ultra wide angle lenses have very broad depths of field.

The rain sensor on my AP1 car appears to be about a 1 inch circle, and I'm not sure it reads all of that - there's a clear part about a quarter inch wide and a bunch of black areas.

Possible - it seems to be listed that way?

I mean, it would make sense if they simply replaced all the sensors with the cameras, but nothing the cameras do is yet functional?

The old Auto-Pilot camera still has the rain (and light?) sensors separate of camera (plus the sensor in the mirror). AP2 seems to only retain cameras + mirror sensor, which I guess is only used by the mirror to internally adjust its auto-dimming...

The auto dimming does not function as well. Noticed that yesterday.

I'm not sure what you are saying. You are saying "classic cars" never had it. I always thought "classic" meant pre-facelift, just a few months ago. Does classic mean pre-AP? So there's classic, AP, facelift, and now AP2 cars?

Classic has mostly meant Pre-AP on the forums. The four you list cover it pretty well, although there's some crossover - post AP single motor cars still have some features carried over from classic cars that D cars changed (self closing charge port, for instance.)