Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does summon currently work on AP2 cars?
Negative.
This is what I was sent from my DS:

"See below for a list of features I’ve been told will be available by mid-December:

Side Collision Warning

Auto-Headlight

Summon

Forward Collision Warning

Automatic Emergency Braking

Autopark

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control

Lane Departure Warning

Auto-wipers

AutoSteer

Auto Lane Change

Auto High Beam"

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and MP3Mike
Good comprehensive list of what is not available at this time. I only noticed the obvious items. What surprised me was no auto head lights. You would think that is pretty simple and has no impact to AP functionality.

Auto headlights/high-beam uses the front camera for monitoring the environment, I would guess? Nothing that has anything to do with the camera array seems to be active. (I get it that many older cars use separate sensors for these kinds of things but perhaps AP2 cars make the AP cameras do all this stuff since they are more advanced at it anyway...)

Reactions: rush6410
Auto headlights/high-beam uses the front camera for monitoring the environment, I would guess? Nothing that has anything to do with the camera array seems to be active. (I get it that many older cars use separate sensors for these kinds of things but perhaps AP2 cars make the AP cameras do all this stuff since they are more advanced at it anyway...)

Pretty sure all Teslas with Auto headlights use the camera to do it, yes.

Anybody considering FSDC? I upgraded to EAP, but now with that unedited Tesla self driving video, it seems we are very close to some roll out of full autonomy. At least level 4. EAP seems only available on freeways correct?

Negative.

"See below for a list of features I’ve been told will be available by mid-December:

Side Collision Warning

Auto-Headlight

Summon

Forward Collision Warning

Automatic Emergency Braking

Autopark

Traffic-Aware Cruise Control

Lane Departure Warning

Auto-wipers

AutoSteer

Auto Lane Change

Auto High Beam"
Thank you!

Anybody considering FSDC? I upgraded to EAP, but now with that unedited Tesla self driving video, it seems we are very close to some roll out of full autonomy. At least level 4. EAP seems only available on freeways correct?

No one has a clue where eAP will be available, because no one has had eAP turned on. First generation AP is most effective/useful on freeways, but the car will allow you to enable it on any road where it can see the lines.

No one has a clue where eAP will be available, because no one has had eAP turned on. First generation AP is most effective/useful on freeways, but the car will allow you to enable it on any road where it can see the lines.

I live in an area that gets fog in the winter, so hence the safety factor vs EAP alone. I thought EAP would be solid, but it seems to be more of what AP1 never panned out to be (changing lanes automatically, exiting freeway based on navigation, etc)

I live in an area that gets fog in the winter, so hence the safety factor vs EAP alone. I thought EAP would be solid, but it seems to be more of what AP1 never panned out to be (changing lanes automatically, exiting freeway based on navigation, etc)

Any 8.1 AP car will give you huge safety advantages on traveled/known routes - the whitelist and radar should protect you from stopped cars in the mist. eAP won't be particularly better than AP 1 at your described situation, as far as I know now.

I never owned one, but to the best of my knowledge, no classic S has any sort of auto highbeam feature.

I understood we were talking about auto headlights, not auto highbeam which is a separate item on the list above? I am pretty sure my Classic has auto headlights, but I have never double checked, they just work. :)

Negative.

Auto-Headlight
Auto High Beam"

Pretty sure all Teslas with Auto headlights use the camera to do it, yes.

For auto high-beam, sure, but doesn't at least non-AutoPilots (Classics) have auto-headlights that use a light sensor?

I understood we were talking about auto headlights, not auto highbeam which is a separate item on the list above? I am pretty sure my Classic has auto headlights, but I have never double checked, they just work. :)

Oh. I'm sorry, I thought the discussion was auto high beams. Are we saying that the AP2 cars currently don't even get the headlights turning on when it gets dark out?!?

Oh. I'm sorry, I thought the discussion was auto high beams. Are we saying that the AP2 cars currently don't even get the headlights turning on when it gets dark out?!?

Possible - it seems to be listed that way?

I mean, it would make sense if they simply replaced all the sensors with the cameras, but nothing the cameras do is yet functional?

The old Auto-Pilot camera still has the rain (and light?) sensors separate of camera (plus the sensor in the mirror). AP2 seems to only retain cameras + mirror sensor, which I guess is only used by the mirror to internally adjust its auto-dimming...

2D6BE98F00000578-3273093-image-a-16_1444929923666.jpg

3-cameraAutopilot.jpg

Reactions: MP3Mike
Possible - it seems to be listed that way?

I mean, it would make sense if they simply replaced all the sensors with the cameras, but nothing the cameras do is yet functional?

The old Auto-Pilot camera still has the rain (and light?) sensors separate of camera (plus the sensor in the mirror). AP2 seems to only retain cameras + mirror sensor, which I guess is only used by the mirror to internally adjust its auto-dimming...

2D6BE98F00000578-3273093-image-a-16_1444929923666.jpg

3-cameraAutopilot.jpg

Interesting. AP1 Xs still retained a presumed rain/light sensor up there:

IMG_0300.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Here is the pre-AP Classic rain/light sensor setup above the after-market dash cam:

IMG_0043-e1421528459445.jpg

It seems like the AP1 retained the rain/light sensor, but AP2 has gotten rid of it.

This explains why auto-wipers is also on the list of missing AP2 features:

Auto-Headlight
Auto-wipers
Auto High Beam"

I think we've gotten to the bottom of it. Auto-headlight and auto-wipers used to be handled by the rain/light sensor (now replaced by cameras), auto highbeam used to be handled by AP1 camera (now replaced by AP2 camera)? (I guess small chance remains AP1 handled auto high-beam with some other sensor, e.g. Audi does use a special light sensor for that, but camera seems logical for AP1.)

...and everything needing AP2 cameras is still disabled.

• Helpful
Reactions: Saghost