Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Autopilot, No cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'd be confusing, since Tesla would have to change the Autopilot icon on the stalk to be CC or something. But since you can activate AP in the future, they'd have to leave it on. So where would CC go?

If someone can get confused by not knowing what the stalk does after 5 minutes reading the manual or 1 minute driving the car I don't think I want them on public roads next to me!

I wonder, do the "upgrade" the stalk if later on you plunk down 5 grand for EAP? :p

I think the issue are people are confused now - if you don't get basic cruise control on the Model 3 then that makes a 5k upgrade pretty mandatory for a lot of people.

Considering getting the single, large interior upgrade, is all but mandatory as well you're suddenly at 45k for a mass market affordable car. Just to get the basic features you need (sure you get other things, but perhaps folks didn't need them, they're forced into bundling just for the basics)

I think the issue are people are confused now - if you don't get basic cruise control on the Model 3 then that makes a 5k upgrade pretty mandatory for a lot of people.

I agree, as I was musing about this just yesterday. I'm fairly certain current Model S/X without EAP still have basic cruise control, just not TACC, unless they upgrade. It wouldn't cost Tesla anything and would seem lunacy to do it any other way with Model 3. If they try, I bet it will only take a couple hundred of bitterly upset emails from reservation holders to correct the "oversight"!

Edit:
It's crazy, I just read the Model X owners manual and even IT IS NOT CLEAR on whether basic cruise control is present without EAP/TACC. I may post a thread over in the Model S forum for clarification unless someone chips in right away.

Last edited:
I just did a search/some reading in the Model S forum. With the S, and I assume the 3 would be the same, if you do NOT get EAP you will still get "dumb" cruise control. If you get EAP you will ONLY have TACC (traffic aware cruise control), probably for safety so you don't confuse the two.

My experience with TACC on a 2016 Model S was it was very, very good. However, I feel better knowing that Model 3 will very likely at least come with "basic" cruise control if I decide to mind my budget and not spring for EAP at initial purchase. It's still something I'd ask a delivery advisor prior to ordering.

I just did a search/some reading in the Model S forum. With the S, and I assume the 3 would be the same, if you do NOT get EAP you will still get "dumb" cruise control. If you get EAP you will ONLY have TACC (traffic aware cruise control), probably for safety so you don't confuse the two.

My experience with TACC on a 2016 Model S was it was very, very good. However, I feel better knowing that Model 3 will very likely at least come with "basic" cruise control if I decide to mind my budget and not spring for EAP at initial purchase. It's still something I'd ask a delivery advisor prior to ordering.
Yeah, as you found you get dumb cruise control as standard on the Model S. I would presume it's the same on the Model 3. That's a pretty big omission if not.