TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No Autopilot, No cruise control?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by davecolene0606, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. davecolene0606

Just wondering if one orders a no option vehicle (no AP), does that mean zero cruise control functionality?

Fire Away:)

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. commasign

commasign Active Member

That's the case for Model S and X.

• Disagree x 4
  3. azred

azred Member

That's not true. I have old fashioned cruise control on my 2016 S. Of course, the event on Friday night and subsequent info from Tesla is sketchy on Model 3 details, so who knows re Model 3.

• Informative x 1
  4. thelastdeadmouse

You can't be serious. Selling a car for 35,000, let alone 60,000+ without cruise control would be absurd.

• Like x 1
  5. powertoold

powertoold Member

It'd be confusing, since Tesla would have to change the Autopilot icon on the stalk to be CC or something. But since you can activate AP in the future, they'd have to leave it on. So where would CC go?

6. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

Forgive me if I'm using the wrong terminology but the car should have regular cruise control that is in your average car. It won't have traffic aware cruise control (for stop-and-go traffic).

This would only make sense.

• Like x 2
  7. nickpants

nickpants Member

• Informative x 2
  8. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

I guess the same applies for "blind spot monitoring" ? I love Audi's system (shows up on the mirror), but have NO clue about Tesla's

9. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

If someone can get confused by not knowing what the stalk does after 5 minutes reading the manual or 1 minute driving the car I don't think I want them on public roads next to me!

I wonder, do the "upgrade" the stalk if later on you plunk down 5 grand for EAP? :p

10. Big-T

Big-T Member

I think the issue are people are confused now - if you don't get basic cruise control on the Model 3 then that makes a 5k upgrade pretty mandatory for a lot of people.

Considering getting the single, large interior upgrade, is all but mandatory as well you're suddenly at 45k for a mass market affordable car. Just to get the basic features you need (sure you get other things, but perhaps folks didn't need them, they're forced into bundling just for the basics)

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

#11 shrspeedblade, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    I agree, as I was musing about this just yesterday. I'm fairly certain current Model S/X without EAP still have basic cruise control, just not TACC, unless they upgrade. It wouldn't cost Tesla anything and would seem lunacy to do it any other way with Model 3. If they try, I bet it will only take a couple hundred of bitterly upset emails from reservation holders to correct the "oversight"!

Edit:
    It's crazy, I just read the Model X owners manual and even IT IS NOT CLEAR on whether basic cruise control is present without EAP/TACC. I may post a thread over in the Model S forum for clarification unless someone chips in right away.

12. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Yes, you get basic "dumb" cruise control if you do not have AP enabled. To get traffic aware cruise control, you need AP. Simple as that.

• Informative x 1
  13. powertoold

powertoold Member

14. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I just did a search/some reading in the Model S forum. With the S, and I assume the 3 would be the same, if you do NOT get EAP you will still get "dumb" cruise control. If you get EAP you will ONLY have TACC (traffic aware cruise control), probably for safety so you don't confuse the two.

My experience with TACC on a 2016 Model S was it was very, very good. However, I feel better knowing that Model 3 will very likely at least come with "basic" cruise control if I decide to mind my budget and not spring for EAP at initial purchase. It's still something I'd ask a delivery advisor prior to ordering.

15. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Yeah, as you found you get dumb cruise control as standard on the Model S. I would presume it's the same on the Model 3. That's a pretty big omission if not.

16. kev1n

kev1n Member

i have a loaner car right now, 2017 S 75 with AP2 hardware but AP isnt activated. cruise control still works.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. commasign

commasign Active Member

I stand corrected. Was thinking TACC.

18. Robert831

Robert831 Member

I'm confused about "dumb" cruise control vs. adaptive cruise control vs. TACC. My Toyota has adaptive cruise control, and now I can't imagine not having it. Would a Tesla "dumb" cruise control really let you rear-end the car ahead of you just because you didn't want to pay the extra $5000?

19. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

All my cars have "dumb" cruise control :oops::(

20. Mike K

Mike K Member

Cruise control is a basic feature and the car needs no additional hardware to achieve it. Of course it's going to come with cruise control guys. This isn't 1994 and you're not buying a Ford F150.