Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Autopilot, No cruise control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that's what I want to do... wait for Tesla to offer TACC ala carte for $2k. It's bound to happen because the hardware is already there and Tesla might as well monetize it eventually.

I feel the $5k for EAP is too much if only because I don't need the highway exit and lane assists. I will already be opting for the AWD and LR battery and not sure if I need to go PUP because there will be three drivers in the household. Will see what feedback non-PUP owners with several drivers have once those roll out.

I would love to have TACC because our RAV4H has it and you no longer have to keep checking the speedometer once that ACC is set but yeah a decently optioned M3 is going to cost many pretty pennies but I think I will need LR for my wife's commute. Will still see what competitors have to offer by the time Canadians get to configure.

Just to be clear, to adjust the CC speed on a Model 3 without EAP you don't use the stalk (there is no cruise control stalk), you use the center screen.
Good point.

This video shows how to adjust the TACC speed with the screen in 1 and 5 mph increments. It sounds like it would work similarly for Model 3s without EAP:

You can't be serious. Selling a car for 35,000, let alone 60,000+ without cruise control would be absurd.
He probably was serious, just not equipped with the facts. Maybe some sales person said that to help motivate the buyer to pay for the AP options. Fyi, even without EAP, the AEB and other safety features are included, and the cars the AP2 sees are drawn on the dash, and the speed limit is displayed, etc, etc. What you lose by not paying for EAP+FSD is the adaptive part of cruise control and lane-keeping auto-steer that you must babysit and be prepared to take over at any time. That's it. Whether it's worth $8K or $10K, that is up to each buyer.

Verify that. There are two kinds of AEB: Low Speed, and High Speed.
Often cars without ACC only have Low Speed since they lack the long range radar scanning that ACC uses to establish following distances.
If Tesla does not activate the TACC radar without AP2, then it might not have high speed AEB.
I don't think this is true. We have an AP2 car without EAP enabled, it still renders all the cars it can see on the instrument cluster, at low or high speeds - similar to the older MS we have with AP1 enabled. I seriously doubt Tesla would go through the trouble to implement a feature to specifically limit the safety of a car by shutting off a radar capability.

I just saw this thread; looks like it was revived. The above concerns me a bit; yes if you drive your car into something, it will hit it. It isn't autonomous and you have a responsibility to pay attention and hit the brakes before running into something. I don't believe that there is a car on the market right now that will certify that you will not hit something if you drive your car towards it.

Now that the manual is floating around, it states that the following is (or will be once it has been coded) available on every Model 3:
  • Lane assist (sounds like lane departure warnings),
  • Collision avoidance assist (forward collision warning (loud beep when it thinks you're going to hit something), auto emergency braking (throws on the brakes to reduce speed when it knows you will hit something),
  • Speed assist (tells you the local speed limit and chimes when you exceed a tolerance relative to it), and
  • High beam assist
I didn't pick up mention of any sort of cruise control there. It is a bit unfortunate, I agree. Not a game changer for me though.
In the copy of the Model 3 Manual I have, there is a section on Traffic Aware Cruise Control on Page 58 in the Driver Assistance section. But nothing on regular cruise control.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit