Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AWD for Model 3 until next year confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

farzyness

Food lover. Entrepreneur. Did I say food lover?
Aug 8, 2013
Earth
Thoughts on this? I think it makes sense. Most of the demand will be in California which is a fair weather state, and I'm guessing a large amount of buyers won't have a use case for rear wheel drive. Makes sense to make AWD available once the east coast ramp is in full effect.

Reactions: gene
Question: Fred Lambert‏Verified account @FredericLambert 17m17 minutes ago

@elonmusk @JimPengelly First adopters will not have the option of all-wheel-drive for the Model 3?

Reply: Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk

@FredericLambert @JimPengelly No, we are minimizing configuration complexity to keep the production ramp on schedule. RWD only for early production, just like Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Ah thanks, got it! Personally I was on the fence about it. Neither of my cars currently has AWD and I've wished I had it a handful of times over the last 10 years. I WAS thinking it would give me better acceleration though AND possibly move me up the list a little if it's true highly optioned models will be delivered first

After this announcement though, I don't think highly optioned vehicles will matter, and in fact might slow you down. White RWD, standard stereo glass roof here I come!

Reactions: gene
To me, also. Now the question is, does it slow down the schedule for those in the east USA or not? Since we wouldn't get them until 2018, most likely, anyway... (especially if not owners at the time...). As usual, Elon's answer of 'next year' is a wide scoped answer. Even for a 'normal' person: Is it 'sales' 2018 or engineering 2018? (Start or finish.) On EST, who knows....

This might be the first time I am really upset with Tesla. Based on my reservation I was hoping to take delivery around Christmas. If all of the people in front of me also wait for the duel's and they do a slow roll-out I could be looking at late 2018.

Estimated $4k for duel motors + $3,750 to $5,625 tax loss, I am not sure they are worth $7,750 - $10,625 to me.

Most of the demand will be in California which is a fair weather state, and I'm guessing a large amount of buyers won't have a use case for rear wheel drive.
In my opinion, California weather (which ranges from deserts to high altitude mountains with serious winters) has nothing to do with the decision "minimizing configuration complexity to keep the production ramp on schedule" as just tweeted by Elon. The decision is based on what he stated.
Unless they are going to offer P-versions in rear-wheel drive again, not having dual motors at launch means no P-versions at launch as wel
I would not rule out a Performance version of the Model 3 at launch, since the S was launched only as a P version and the non-P came months later.

Here is Elon's tweet that started things off: "The Model 3 is just a smaller, more affordable version of the Model S w less range & power & fewer features. Model S has more advanced technology."

Than in response to a question about whether or not the 3 would have Dual Motor, Elon responded "Yes but not until next year."

Then Fred Lambert asked him to confirm that and Elon said "No, we are minimizing production complexity to keep the Model 3 ramp on schedule. RWD only for early production, just like the Model S."

Note that Elon did not say "No Performance version this year."

This might be the first time I am really upset with Tesla. Based on my reservation I was hoping to take delivery around Christmas. If all of the people in front of me also wait for the duel's and they do a slow roll-out I could be looking at late 2018.

Estimated $4k for duel motors + $3,750 to $5,625 tax loss, I am not sure they are worth $7,750 - $10,625 to me.

I'm with you there and I'm doing the same math. I just don't know if it makes sense, it's something I'm going to have to think about. I'm really disappointed by the news though.

Of course no P as well without the D... ouch. What a rough first world day.