Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AWD for Model 3 until next year confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you link to the source/article? I haven't seen it

Tesla Model 3 will not be available with all-wheel-drive dual motors at launch, says Elon Musk

Bad news for early Tesla Model 3 reservation holders who were hoping to order the vehicle with dual motor all-wheel-drive. Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that the dual motor Model 3 will not be available “until next year”. It means that the vehicles planned for production in 2017 – starting in July – can only be configured with a single motor rear-wheel-drive powertrain. It’s likely to be frustrating for the people who placed reservations on the first day hoping to order the higher-end version of the Model 3, but Musk confirmed that they are “minimizing configuration complexity to keep the production ramp on schedule”.

He added that dual motor Model 3 production is expected to start in “6 to 9 months”, which mean that it should still follow closely behind the rear-wheel-drive production. It’s likely to change the plans of a lot of reservation holders – mainly for US reservation holders since it sounds like the all-wheel-drive version will be ready by the time the vehicle receives homologation in other countries. Canada is likely to be first and AWD is always more popular up north due to the climate. Consequently, the “performance version” of the Model 3 is not expected to become available until after the launch of the dual motor in 2018...

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
This might be the first time I am really upset with Tesla. Based on my reservation I was hoping to take delivery around Christmas. If all of the people in front of me also wait for the duel's and they do a slow roll-out I could be looking at late 2018.

Estimated $4k for duel motors + $3,750 to $5,625 tax loss, I am not sure they are worth $7,750 - $10,625 to me.
Delivery around Christmas? Which one? 2017 or 2018?

"Greetings! Are you ready to configure your Model 3?"
"Hurray! I'd like the P__D, largest capacity battery option."
"Hm. As an early reservation holder you might not want to wait for..."
"Nope, I waited this long. Please note that on my reservation. I'll wait a bit longer."

LOL.

Honestly - this seems like an attempt to optimize roll out for those that could "use" the tax break as much as possible - i.e. those of us who wouldn't typically be able to afford a car that's $40k+.

I agree with the decision. Tesla Motors needs to do everything possible to keep the Model 3 costs down.
I still have doubts that $35k is feasible right now, but $50k will perhaps have a negative backlash. It would be dangerous to Tesla to sell Model 3's in quantity at a loss. $42.5k would keep it at $35k in the US after Fed Incentive, so that might not be seen as badly.

The price won't affect me, but I can see how a big bump could put the car in a negative light and I want it to succeed.

If the federal incentive of $7,500 goes away or reduced AND the Colorado incentive of $5,000 goes away (on 1/1/2018) due to the bill (Repeal Income Tax Credit Innovative Motor Vehicles | Colorado General Assembly) making it's way through government by the time the "D" version is produced.

I will have to think long and hard about purchasing the Model 3 next year as AWD is a must for me and the incentives are a big part of why I reserved early.

I'm also starting to think Tesla has focused too much attention on simplifying manufacturing and possibly stripping away what is considered a normal interior ( ie. not having an instrument panel ) because they are pinning everything on autopilot or really full self driving.

Last edited:
I think it's a great move and a logical decision on Tesla's part.

I don't know exact percentages (attempted looking it up), but looking at a sample pool of BMW for example, would be how many overall 3-series/4-series owners bought a 328i/428i versus an M3/M4. Both beloved, but I would hardly call the BMW M3/M4 a mass-market vehicle whereas the 328i/428i is the definition of. (Speaking from Southern California perspective)

The goal for Tesla is mass-market and affordable, which is what a Model 3 will be. $35K-$45K is the sweet spot for most. Those that want to go deeper down the rabbit hole for a Model 3 PxxD (~$55K-$65K+ presumably) aren't the primary focus just as BMW doesn't focus all market attention and advertising on their M3/M4, but plenty (more-so now) on their 320i/328i/428i (affordable versions). In fact, when the 4-series launched in July 2013, the 'Performance' version M4 didn't launch until February of 2014. That's a great example and perspective for this exact situation.

So to launch the Model 3 successfully, they're doing the correct thing. 100%. Keep the cost down, GET THESE CARS DELIVERED, public interest and knowledge increases, work the bugs out, collect data...then build a 3-second version. You can't have a performance version of something if the baseline version doesn't exist and right now it does not exist.

There is a small part of me that is disappointed about no AWD for the first year, but I completely understand the necessity for streamlining. Nevertheless...I'm PUMPED about everything that was posted this morning. Talk about excitement.

I have such mixed feelings right now...my situation:

1) Get an early RWD model...almost guaranteed the full 7500 tax credit. Be that "cool guy with one of the first Model 3's".
2) Wait for AWD model...risk full tax credit by waiting...But more time to pay off existing debt and save more. Wife would be happier with AWD for safety, better range...etc.

My biggest question...and I tweeted Elon about this (doubt he will respond)...will AWD be available in the configurator on day 1? If not...is my reservation useless?

th

This no AWD is a disaster. I would not like to buy a lesser version early and then watch the value decline after AWD does become available.
The benefits of performance, range and perception of future value are too important to not be available at the start.

Apparently someone thought this was funny? Sounds like you are being serious.